Author Topic: Snake Skinning day  (Read 39241 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Snake Skinning day
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2011, 02:31:33 am »
Wayne that is just too funny!!! Most folks I meet say I speak with a Midwest accent.. Don't know how that happened, but sometimes the espanol accent comes out..

I took 20 snake skins to school today. Kindergarten was learning about animal coverings. I also took a vintage kangaroo fur coat and vintage Australian oppossum fur coat. The kids just loved seeing these things.. It was so kool.. 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2011, 05:28:15 am »

Yeah, there is a woman who works at one of the restaurants, in Thompson Falls, that was born there, and she sounds like she is from Minnesota !  Wow, I would like to see those Australian coats also! :o 8)  As I am sure the rest of us would too. ;)

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »
I've lived in much of the midwest, and there's quite a bit of difference between the  Minnesota (or Minnesnowta as they say) and Iowa or Nebraska.  Illinois is a little different as well.  I've lived in Texas for almost 4 years now and don't feel like I've picked up the local accent at all yet.  Maybe I never will.  Interestingly, there's a pretty wide difference between east and west Texas accents, though I think they're both cool.  Of course, Texas is large enough to be a couple three normal sized states, so it makes sense.

Good idea Wayne, you guys should start a animal skin fashions thread.  My daughter studied a semester in Russia and brought me back one of their coonskin hats.  It's waaaaay too warm to wear in Texas.  Only thing like that I own.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2011, 09:14:24 pm »
Noooooo.. Really???   8)  Great idea.. I posted them on here under new thread... Too funny George... Welcome buddy!!  I just posted the coats on here unders a new thread.. That would be really fun to have studied in Russia.  I really enjoy Russiaon literature.. It is dark and the mood is opressive, but I still enjoy the lit.  Folks from El Paso have a very distinct sounding accent..
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 09:59:18 pm »

Well George, just say, Wal, if the @#$#% gumment don't keep their cotton picken hands off'n my money......etc;
and you will be able to get by.  ;)

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 01:28:16 am »
I'll work on that Wayne, thanks. ;D

Great minds work alike??  I'll go look for the other thread.  Laura loved her time abroad.  She also did a few months after she graduated teaching English in Turkey.  She had to bail from that as it got too dangerous.   Didn't surprise me when she married a man from Africa.

Life is good.  Texas is sure a great place to live.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 02:17:23 pm »
Hey guys here is the thread I posted on Around the Campfire with pics of the coats, Kangaroo, Australian Opossum and Fox fur coats and Caribou hide

George that sounds very interesting and fun.  I have always loved leaning about other cultures and customes.  What part of Africa?  Hope you got a hunting contact out of that as a dowry ;D

Life is good!!  Amen!!!  Texas is a great place to live and raise a family...  It is sad that it is too dangerous to return to the old country for a few days (Mexico).  Read that short story.. and pass it onto your daughter.  What degree did she get?  I have a degree in English with minors in History, biology and Spanish. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 02:48:48 pm »
I like those coats.  The possom coat looks much nicer than I thought it would.  They are disgusting looking creatures and were forever getting in my chicken coop to steal eggs when I was in Nebraska.

My SIL is from Ghana, but grew up in France.  His mother's still in Africa and I do want to get over there sometime and do a safari, but we haven't talked about it a lot.  He's working on his citizenship and working in politics in Denver.  He thinks he has a place for me to go elk hunting there, but it may not work out yet for this coming season.  Laura's degree is in "global studies", hence the overseas study.  Interestingly she speaks some Russian, Turkish, Spanish, French and of course English.  Our granddaughter will be bilingual in English and French, our SIL's primary language.  He's also fluent in English and Spanish, though the locals here chuckle at him since he learned to speak the Spanish spoken in Spain.

It is a shame that Mexico has become such a dangerous place.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline criveraville

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 04:23:20 pm »
Rattler skins

Offline criveraville

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 04:25:33 pm »
19 Dried skins

Offline criveraville

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 04:26:57 pm »
Students admiring skins

Offline criveraville

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 04:28:08 pm »
Love these patterns

Offline criveraville

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 04:28:39 pm »
rattlers and water snake

Offline criveraville

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 04:29:30 pm »
Texas rat snakes.. Boy do these get long and wide...

Offline criveraville

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 04:32:42 pm »
snakes tacked, rinsed off and sun tanning ::) ::) ::)