Author Topic: New Bow for Del, with right pic now!  (Read 9004 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
Re: New Bow for Del, with right pic now!
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 01:13:06 pm »
very classy Del . i looked hard and couldnt find a single trace of nut in that one  >:D

DCM4

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 01:40:27 pm »
Nicely done.

In light of my recent clumsiness on the tillering thread, please don't read anything into this post or these questions.  They spawn from sincere interest, and no interest in carrying a grudge.  Hope you feel the same.

I've always been intriqued by side nocks and yours seem executed perfectly.  Have you opinion wrt to the possibility such nocks might induce limb twist?  I realize their use is well represented in antiquity, from many cultures, and don't doubt their efficacy, just interested whether you have considered this.

Do you know offhand the total mass wieght of your arrows.  I noticed your pile choice ranged lower than typical for the states, where 125 grains seems the standard and only rare exceptions to the heavier side usually.  I think perhaps because our interest tend toward the hunting side, justification for higher FOC.

What are you thoughts/preferences on string material: all natural, dacron or newer hmpe?  Elbs are probably my favorite form, but premium yew would cost me $200 while I have premium osage (virtually all other hardwoods including red mulberry and winged elm) literally growing on trees as suitable, in my view, candidates... Although it's admittedly hard to make a truly representitive elb (war versus Victorian yard) from osage, it being so dense it's perfectly unsuited to the design.  Back to the point, on the long, narrow bows I've made (being careful not to tread upon the rigid definition of elb), I've found low mass, low stretch string to be particularly desirable and was curious about your experiences.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 01:52:20 pm »
Pure Awesomeness.  I love that bow. er both of those bows!  The white buffalo horn is such a good choice. I REALLY like the handle.  The material is beautiful and your stitching job is so crisp.  Excellent.  The strike plate matches so well and just looks sweeet.  Tiller looks perfect to me. 

I've been wanting to try an ELB....I have some ash I was thinking of using just for that purpose.  Hmmmm.

You are one of the people on here I consider on a whole other level.  Nice work. AWESOME!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 02:48:19 pm »
Nicely done.

In light of my recent clumsiness on the tillering thread, please don't read anything into this post or these questions.  They spawn from sincere interest, and no interest in carrying a grudge.  Hope you feel the same.

I've always been intriqued by side nocks and yours seem executed perfectly.  Have you opinion wrt to the possibility such nocks might induce limb twist?  I realize their use is well represented in antiquity, from many cultures, and don't doubt their efficacy, just interested whether you have considered this.

Do you know offhand the total mass wieght of your arrows.  I noticed your pile choice ranged lower than typical for the states, where 125 grains seems the standard and only rare exceptions to the heavier side usually.  I think perhaps because our interest tend toward the hunting side, justification for higher FOC.

What are you thoughts/preferences on string material: all natural, dacron or newer hmpe?  Elbs are probably my favorite form, but premium yew would cost me $200 while I have premium osage (virtually all other hardwoods including red mulberry and winged elm) literally growing on trees as suitable, in my view, candidates... Although it's admittedly hard to make a truly representitive elb (war versus Victorian yard) from osage, it being so dense it's perfectly unsuited to the design.  Back to the point, on the long, narrow bows I've made (being careful not to tread upon the rigid definition of elb), I've found low mass, low stretch string to be particularly desirable and was curious about your experiences.
Hi, yup, good to move on.
I got the side nock info' from Alan Blackhams (non commercial) website. some excellent stuff there http://www.alanesq.com/sidenock.htm
I'd think they could induce twist on a shorter flat limbed bow, but seem ok on the longbow, the angle is so slight at that length. Although I do notice the string seem to creak a little as I draw!...
I did weigh some arrows but can't put my paw on the data ::). I think you are right about the hunting bias in the US giving you the tendency towards heavier arrows. I use the 70gn piles for anything upto about 40# and 100gn above that unless handshock/vibration becomes an issue. I like the flatter trajectory for field shooting. Mind there is a guy at our club shooting 125gn piles from 38# ELB...dunno why.
String material, I've previously used Dacron (or elastic as it is sometimes know... joke) I just bought some Angel Majesty and I feel it gives more speed without making my accuracy any worse than it already is. I have made a Flemish twist linen string for one bow justfor the heck of it, but I prefer the continuous loop style (possibly a hang over from my early days making crossbows ... oooh I said the C word :o). The Angel Majesty caught me out being sooooo low stretch I made my first string too short, which persuaded me to finally get round to making a string making jig from some old Dexion.
I'd love to try some Osage and Hickory, but I s'pose I should consider myself lucky that I eventually found some decent Yew growing where I could borrow it with impunity O:), I also lucked out when I got talking to a tree surgeon who was just about to to out some nice old Yew at a big old country house near me ;D, that'll keep me going for a year or two.
I think that about covers it!
Del
(BTW, I had a look at some of your old posts and found the short Osage bow you'd made, very handsome with perfect tiller (with the whole limbs working hard, which is how I think it should be) and great looking grip, just the sort of bow I'd like to make if I had some Osage)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:59:53 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline jpitts

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 03:49:11 pm »
A beautiful classic ELB. Well done Del. I love it.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline dwardo

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 09:43:09 am »
Nice longbow as usual Del. The finish suits it perfectly.
Were you lucky with the sapwood ratio and the clean back? Or were you scraping under a strong light for hours?
Also what was the rpi like being English yew? :)

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »
impressive bow deal has a nice smooth look to it.Wish we had yew in Wisconson or Osage for that matter anyways great work-Hammertime

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 10:08:09 pm »
Nice job Del!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 11:48:06 am »
Nice longbow as usual Del. The finish suits it perfectly.
Were you lucky with the sapwood ratio and the clean back? Or were you scraping under a strong light for hours?
Also what was the rpi like being English yew? :)

Hi, I took of a fair bit of wood to get down to a nice ring. rpi ~14.
The colour and ring count is very variable, I've had another bit grown within a few hundred yards which is completely different...
Here's a pic of the one I mean from a shoot yesterday.

Del

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:10 am »
Great picture Del all that lovely Yew.

So you took off a lot of sapwood? Did you bother to chase a ring or just flatten it off even thickness?

Leon.

Sorry for all the Q`s mate i just have a nice bit sitting here waiting for someone to lend me a saw :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 09:40:45 am »
Beautiful bow in all aspects,very nice work.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:48 am »
Great picture Del all that lovely Yew.

So you took off a lot of sapwood? Did you bother to chase a ring or just flatten it off even thickness?

Leon.

Sorry for all the Q`s mate i just have a nice bit sitting here waiting for someone to lend me a saw :)
Yes I followed a ring, it's not too bad once you've had a bit of practice and don't try to do too much in one sitting.
The trick is getting the light right, sometimes you just can't see what's happening and then you shift the light source and it really shows up. I find that as you get through one ring the last bits are whiteish and almost crumble off like Chicken breast meat ;D exposing the slightly yellower next ring. Sometimes just V light strokes across the grain with a rasp will crumble off the last bits of 'chicken meat'.
Del

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 08:34:19 pm »
Del,

Your bows are always exquisite!  I'd be happy to get a piece of one of your failed bows as a gift.  Keep posting, sir!

-john
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 09:10:00 pm »
A classical beauty
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline DEllis

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 02:02:48 am »
That is an absolute beauty. Simple, clean..........and the color scheme is so mild with the light horn and leather wrap. The side nocks are cool too. You have my vote already for BOM. :)
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!