Author Topic: New Bow for Del, with right pic now!  (Read 8969 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
New Bow for Del, with right pic now!
« on: May 27, 2011, 04:52:34 pm »
My  old fave' 75# Yew bow was getting too much for me so I've made a new self Yew ELB. I went for 50# but I've tried to get the same speed as the old fave'. I heat treated the belly and put about 2-3" inches of reflex in at the same time. It was a weird stave so I didn't mind experimenting, the sap wood seemed to be hidden under a layer of heart wood, e.g the tree went, bark, heart, sap, heart... or that's how it seemed (I'd had two normal staves from the same log, alread made in ELBs. This was the least attractive which is why I took it for myself)
I made it a tad longer than usual for me (I'm only 5'10") and went for side nocks too, just for the fun of trying something different.
I've gone for a 'faux medieval' look using white Waterbuffalo horn and natural veg tan leather and mother of pearl as I've been invited to the Robert Hardy Roving Marks shoot on Sunday, run by the Medieval society.
Stats:- 71.5 ntn, 50# @ 28", about 1/4 inch remaining reflex. 167fps with a 70gn point, but shoots smoother with 100g point and drops a few fps.

Whoops that's the 60# bow I've recently done.... :o , which is even shorter 68.5" ntn, as it's for a short guy. You can see it's bending harder than the slightly longer bow in the next pic (same arrow being used).
THIS is my 50# Yew bow... not so pretty but quick ;D

I like the clean, simple medieval(ish) look and it certainly chucks an arrow. Indeed it is almost as quick as my old faithful.
Del
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:08:11 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dane

Re: New Bow for Del
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:04:12 pm »
This is a gorgeous bow, Del. Nothing not to like about it. I agree, it is a very clean look, very functional, and the mother of pearl arrow rest and the overlays just add to the overall beauty.

Only 5'10"? I'll take that extra 4" if you dont want them :)

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:16 pm »
incredibly nice Mr. Cat. my favorite bow style. side nocks match the mother-o-pearl too. like the whole "lighter" color scheme on the bow even down to the leathers hue. 
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »
Ahhh yes.....sweet and simple! I love it, very nice lines.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:03 pm »
Nice work. It really slings 'em out and is very classy with clean lines. Didn't happen by accident.

Lane

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »
An English yew longbow, at full draw.....the quintessential medieval thing of beauty sir.

HatchA

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:30 pm »
Very pretty!!   Well done man.

Offline gmc

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 07:57:02 pm »
Very nice.

Looks wickedly fast to me.
Central Kentucky

Offline gmc

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 08:25:09 pm »
I'm not an ELB fan by any stretch of the imagination but this bow is just downwright inspiring. I've had a suspicion for some time that Red Mulberry might just make a good ELB for a yew substitute for those of us less fortuneate to have access to it.

The density is very similar; has the sapwood, heartwood element with bend properties a little better than most for its weight.

I've been thinking about the next project, I may have just found it. ::)
Central Kentucky

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 09:55:18 pm »
I got a mulberry warbow in the works right now, not sure if it's red mulberry. It is very light wood, and colors close to yew after the sun colors it a bit. Saxon Pope said mulberry makes a very good longbow.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 04:52:03 am »
Thanks for the comments guys.
Be interesting to see that Mulberry, there was some taken down near me a while back but it had been sawn up before I found out >:(.
Del

Offline Del the cat

Whoops Wrong pic!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 05:27:56 am »
Just noticed, the full draw pic is the 60 pounder I recently finished! I've been working on the two of them, that one's a couple of inches shorter as it's for a short guy.
I've added the correct pic... just popped out into the garden and got the camera on self timer... only took about 5 attempts >:(  ;D
Del
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:02:35 am by Del the cat »

Offline fusizoli

Re: New Bow for Del, with right pic now!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 07:44:06 am »
Very nice as allways!

That starnge sap is the compression wood. Here the yew is not so dense so I have to use that part of the staves. Find this kind of sap very often but it doesn't make problem yet.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:08 am »
Very nice as allways!

That starnge sap is the compression wood. Here the yew is not so dense so I have to use that part of the staves. Find this kind of sap very often but it doesn't make problem yet.
Cheers, yes, that makes sense it was one side of the log which was growing up at a slight angle, so it was maybe either the side it was leaning towards or the down wind side. It wlways amaze me how wood can vary round a long or in just a few inches.
Del

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 10:53:53 am »
"I've added the correct pic... just popped out into the garden and got the camera on self timer... only took about 5 attempts"

I know how you feel. :) What I started doing is taking a video with my camera, and then bringing the video into windows movie maker and saving photos off the video. I'm pretty sure most versions of wmm are free. Very nice bow btw. Yew is such a pretty wood. The white nocks are nice. Your an artist with some yew there del.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair