Author Topic: High country elk in September!  (Read 34628 times)

blackhawk

Re: High country elk in September!
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »
Happy for ya Pat,and bummed for me.

I lived in the mountains of Colorado for 4 years and I know all the ranges almost as good as the back of my hand. If your going north of durango then I hope you guys are going deep into the weminuche wilderness. Ahhhh...sigh. im gonna miss her this year.  :'(

I was supposed to go out this fall but my wife got pregnant and her due date is to close and I don't wanna be that far from home so close to her due date.

And, oh the taste of freshly butchered never been frozen elk meat,me mouth is watering and I just ate.

Have fun soaking up the juans

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28:02 pm »
I was supposed to go out this fall but my wife got pregnant...   

lol, Blackhawk you make it sound like you had nothing to do with that, LOL   >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline sonny

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2011, 07:43:30 pm »
Sept 2 is right around the corner Pat.
Good luck to you and Kenneth as well.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2011, 08:25:39 pm »
Thanks Glenn. I got my plane tickets the other day and will get my license on line tonight. Won't be long at all now.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2011, 12:36:39 am »
How you doing Pat? bet your starting to have some restless nights in anticipation :o  >

Kenneth you are a fine man to be helping put together the hunt. I hope you both are blessed with more elk then you can pack ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:28 am »
Keenan, I got my plane ticket last week, my cow tag last night, hiking hard each evening after supper and getting my shooting zeroed in. I'll be sending my bows, arrows and packed backpack out to Kenneth's sometime next week and Sept 2nd I'll be en route! ;D  8)
  I think Kenneth is trying to get my cardio up...he called the other night and said his boss called and said he was on standby for a possible loss in pressure at a site in TX. We put everything on hold...the next morning Marcia called me at work to say Kenneth had called. All is good and back on track...so the adrenaline has begun!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 01:17:25 am »
Thanks everyone, yea I can't wait. I am working 14 hour days to get caught up with an important oilfied project that needs to be complete by sept 1st and go hunting the second. I am just short on help so they need to get me some as I can not be responsible after the 1st. At least I don't have the Texas problem on top of all the other stuff. Got the gear gathered and am shooting well so all I need is a chance to do some camp packing and setting up. I have been so tired from work I have no energy for getting into shape so will just have to wing it.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2011, 01:42:28 am »
Once we hit the high country both of our energys will kick in. Something about that mountain air!!!  ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 09:28:36 pm »
Just as exciting watching from the outside for the anticipation of the hunt for you both. Getting some of that mountain air in the lungs will always do a body good!
  Wade drew an early cow tag for rifle because he can't pull enough pounds yet on his bow.  It's a 3 month season so no time pressure but Lulyn and I got him out for one day a few weeks ago.  I called in a small bull and played with him for a while  but know cows that day.  We are going to try to get back out on Monday and see if we can get him in on a cow. ::)

Offline Little John

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 02:23:01 am »
Thanks Keenan, I hope you, Lulyn, and Wade a good season. When does your archery season open? My wife Kathie and I are heading up tomorrow morning with two pack horse loads and get camp pretty much set up. Will have to make one more trip before our hunt to take in food and finish up the camp to be ready for our hunt. The last couple of mornings have been a little cool and makes it feel a bit like hunting weather. I do need some of that mountain air and primitive bow hunting.         Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Keenan

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 01:29:48 pm »
Kenneth, Our general bow season starts August 27th  and Wades hunt started August first and goes clear through to the end of Oct.  I'm going to get camp set up soon as well. Nothing real deep in the wilderness though. Still having some back issues and I think the horse ride in would do me in.  Also Wade is getting his tonsells out on the 22nd so he's going to be sore for the first part.
 Going in our lower area that we've hunted the last few years. Not as much elk but I think I have that area figured out fairly well now. There is so much snow this year that several areas are still in excessable and the mosquitoes are severe as well. 
 Keep us posted on your hunt and best of luck to you both.   Keenan

Offline sonny

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 03:17:15 pm »
Kenneth, when you say cool, how cool are we talking ??
I'm wishing for some cool mornings myself here in VA. 
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2011, 03:53:53 pm »
Glenn, When I asked Kenneth last week about the weather he said the temps where he lives were in the high 80s to 90s (but that is dry heat!  ::) ). When I talked to him this morning it was raining and cooling down a bit. Up in the mountains it can be 10 to 20 degrees cooler. He and Kathie were heading out this morning on horseback with 2 pack horses to get "stuff" into where camp will be. They will take the food and his cloths in next weekend so when I get there we can walk in relatively light.  ;D
  A guy on TredGang the other day said he was somewhere in the Colorado high country a few weeks ago and the temps went from the 80's down to the 40's with 2" hail within a few hours. Up there you have to be ready for anything.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2011, 07:06:10 pm »
Yep Pat is right, The high country can drop down to freezing in a heartbeat. We were up at the Newberry Crater here in Central Oregon last Monday and it froze that night. Mid eighty's the next day.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2011, 10:10:09 pm »
Below freezing sounds pretty good to me right now!!!