Author Topic: 3D Pictures added :) Shot Video "First" stave advise  (Read 7347 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: New member need "First" stave advise
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
Ken is a short bow expert for sure.  The floor tiller looks great.  Now put a string on that one ASAP.  Looks like you're close to a low short string bend already.  Need to have that one on the tillering tree.  Try to keep the center of the bow a little stiff.  My tendency is to put too much bend in the handle too early.  I love mulberry, would have been nice if that top ring was as thick as the ones above it.  Looks like you did a nice job chasing it.  I'm anxious to see it bending with a bowstring.  It takes less wood to make weight when the bow is short like that.  You might come out better than you think.

I've also done a lot of smoking with mulberry.  Works great.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 02:30:42 pm »
Yes George I agree completely I wish I would have caught one of the thicker rings earlier but what you going to do. I am a desk jockey and a wanabe bowyer. This stuff is all new to me.

Haven’t used hand tools for a while!!!!  Desk jockey + Hand tools =

I looked at Ken's threads and he looked to be the go to guy for a short bendy.

I've got three tuna loins in the smoker ...thought it would be a good test for the Mulberry chips..

It's going to be a while before I get a string on it and start working on the tree. Work schedule is “thankfully” heavy right now.

Thank you all for the help and keep it coming.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »
Wait till you start flint knapping.  I bleed all the time with that.  I  love the draw knife, my favorite tool.  I would say that Rich (aka half_eye) and then Ken are the most prolific short bow builders on here.  Lots of people build them well tho.  Me, not so much.  I've been working on a short yew bow and had a brain freeze tillering it...removing too much wood at one time.  Finally got it to where I could pull it to full draw.  32lbs at 27"...good grief, I was hoping for 60.  I just heat treated it and flipped the tip on the weak side.  Need to do that other side and we'll see where she is.  I suspect a local youngster is gonna get a very nice kids bow.  I'm sure your luck will be better.  The fish sounds great, I'll be putting a couple chickens on the rotisserie here in an hour or 2.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 05:45:42 pm »
Did a little floor excercise, then a bit on the tree and stepped back to take a look.... I'm starting to think I can make weight with the little Mulberry Bendy... I wish I'd have left a little more handle as suggested. I just need to keep it from blowing up!!!

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 06:23:04 pm »
It did not take any set (I think that's the right word) but maybe I'll let it dry a bit longer just to make sure?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 08:45:50 pm »
looks like your on the right track work those tips down and get them movin. lookin good

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:43 pm »
You're on your way.  That bow looks straight enough to use the tillering gizmo on. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,23134.0.html  That might be easier to get good tiller with on your first bow. Good luck, George
St Paul, TX

Offline coaster500

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 12:08:16 am »
Thank you guys for the advice and support...  and thank you Mr Krewson for my Gizmo  ;)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 09:51:53 pm »
Well I finally had some time to play at it again. I still want to put a grip on it and do a little more tillering but I came in quite a bit under weight so I may settle for less than perfect. I am happy the little bow has held together in spite of my lack of talent. It has about 2 1/2"s of string fallow as I'm sure that the stave was not completely dry but the little bow is a great little teacher and shoots to boot. The tips were over kill on a first time try but the bone is from the first Whitetail I shot with a bow (he wasn't much to brag about either but I was ecstatic non the less).... 

Got a scrap piece of leather and need to know what kind of finish I should put on the bow?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:08:35 pm by coaster500 »

Offline coaster500

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 11:42:09 pm »
Shooting the Mulberry....

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c210/coaster500/Bow%20projects/?action=view¤t=Mulberrystavebow002-1.mp4

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: Pics and Video added "First" stave advise
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:38 am »
Well, well...  Looks like you did okay!  The full draw tiller on the stick doesn't look too bad.  Might be a bit skewed or maybe your tillering stick isn't quite in the center of your bow.  If that's the case, your tiller looks very good.  What did you end up with in pounds and at what draw?  Don't worry about the 2+ inches of set.  It's your first one.  You'll get better with every bow you make.  Allowing the wood to dry is key.  Be sure you post pics when you have a finish on it and a grip, if you choose to add one. 

I also noticed in one of you pics all of the bandages on your toes.  Were you draw knifing with your feet too?  LOL. 

Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 12:21:01 am »
coaster that is an excellent looking bow. bendy handle is well executed . wish my first 50 had looked that good . video looks like its spittin them arrows out pretty fast. great job and enjoy your work

bend it !

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 12:37:38 am »
Looks good.  Great job on that one.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline coaster500

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2011, 01:37:08 am »
Thank you guys it ended up 54"  38/39@27...  I did missed the weight a bit but the little bow is a great teacher. I was a bit worried about such a short bow at my 27"s but it feels and shoots good. It's sure fun to shoot one you cooked yourself........

MWirwicki, I sliped a while back and snapped two toes....  and I mean snapped hurt like the H*** and made walking a tough for a while. Me and flip-flops don't get along real well :)

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2011, 01:40:58 am »
Beautiful bend on that bow.  Bet you learned a lot in the process.  Good job.

George
St Paul, TX