Author Topic: 3D Pictures added :) Shot Video "First" stave advise  (Read 7349 times)

Offline coaster500

3D Pictures added :) Shot Video "First" stave advise
« on: August 25, 2011, 04:38:22 pm »
Hello I'd like to introduce myself as I am a new member to this forum. My name is Kip aka coaster500. I have been learning from you folks for a while now. With your help I've build a couple of boards and want to take a crack at a stave.
Maybe someday I can actually contribute to your great forum?

I have this Mulberry stave and am hoping not to reduce it to kindling. I'd like to see what direction some of you folks would take. I draw 27"s and shoot in the 45 to 50# range. I realize the stave is a bit short for my draw so this may end up a bow for my wife’s shorter draw and less weight, that is if it doesn’t end up in the fireplace. The stave has a slight twist but is pretty straight.

Should all the light wood be removed or?

What design? backed?

I've been reading like crazy and have seen one of the members Utube where he built a 58" Mulberry and draws 29"s!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsZCurqyRUI

Thank you

Here is some info about the stave...

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:57:43 pm by coaster500 »
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

Re: New member need "First" stave advise
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 04:39:47 pm »

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 04:40:29 pm »

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:12:22 pm »
That is a very nice stave. Your right about the length, it's a little short for a stiff handled design. I personally would go for somewhere between a proper d-bow (bend in the handle) and a stiff handled bow with fades. If you allow the handle to 'work' somewhat you will take a lot of stress off the limbs. A little movement in the middle of the bow translates to a fair amount of tip movement. Leave the width as wide as you can when squaring up the sides.
You'll have to remove the sapwood and chase the first ring of the heartwood.
Just go slowly and follow the shape of the back when working in the thickness tapers.
Good luck.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »
58 1/4" is a bit short but it is doable! In this case I would remove all the sapwood(white wood). The heartwood rings are plenty thick enough so get a good clean back ring chased and lay out your bow. For such a short bow I would go with a bendy handle to spread the stresses out across the entire bow...and don't worry about the twist. Selfbows can handle some twist without detrimental effects.
  Check out George Tsoukalas' site. Lots of helpful info there.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:18:47 pm »
I have no experience working with mulbery, but I do agree that I would make a d style bendy handle bow. Your stave is plenty long for that if your draw is 27".. Good luck!

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 07:36:33 pm »
It's good to see another rookie here Kip.  ;)
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:08 pm »
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:07:20 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 11:40:33 pm »
I agree with Pat, it is doable but you might get a few more stave bows under your belt before trying it.  A bendy handle or D-Bow is the way to go. 

That is a very nice mulberry stave.  Take your time with it.  Do you know when the wood was cut?  Has it seasoned for some time?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline coaster500

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:32:52 am »
Well I chased a ring for the first time, I chased those little suckers around the world and back. Never used a draw knife and cut the heck out of myself. Is Mulberry good in a smoker? I got a pile of it. Took me three rings so the bows going to be narrow, about an inch and a quarter? I may still have a bow but not by much. Good learning how a draw knife works. This one will definitely be the wife's is it makes a bow and bendy it is.

Question do I need to seal the back now that it's down to the finished back ring?

A little crooked on one end...

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 12:50:27 am »
first of all yes mulberry is great in a smoker , it will give the meat a sweet flavor .
second dont give up yet your at an inch and a quarter but you have plenty of depth left. if you build a bend through the handle design like has been suggested and build it with a stacked or rounded belly your weight will remain high and the belly will reduce strain on the back making it safer. now lay your handle area out about 8 inches long and your belly about 3/4 thick. bring your belly right into your handle marks without any dips just fade it right in . reduce your belly thicness till it will flex about ten inches on the floor and then tiller the rest on the sides of the belly forming a D. i think this will give you a servicable weapon and still come in at the weight your lookin for

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 11:06:38 am »
Good advice from ken...take it and make a bow.

If your stave is dry and seasoned then you do not have to seal the back.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:02:38 pm »
thats a very nice  stave  u have  u have plenty of wood to work with i say make a bend thru the handel d bow  and make it about 1 /5/2-1 5/8 at the fades and u should be fine  maul berry needs to be  a just a lil wider than osage if u followed a ring ur set  to make ur bow keep pic s coming  good luck brock

Offline PeteC

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 12:26:46 am »
I agree with everyone else on this one. Build a D-bow.Your stave should yield a beauty. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 01:57:13 am »
Did a bit more after work today. She's bendy on the floor :) Time to put a string on and try to get-er-done ...  I hope  :o