Author Topic: Weather radio and SAT phone???  (Read 1379 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Weather radio and SAT phone???
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »
A recent trip to Colorado developed a couple questions for camping. I am looking for a battery powered weather radio and the possibility of renting a SAT phone. The area we hunt is a challenge to get out of when foul weather hits and the only way to get cell service is to climb nearly to the mountain top.
Any personal experience with renting a SAT phone and using a good weather radio, I would like to hear about it...thanks in advance
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Weather radio and SAT phone???
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:06:55 pm »
 I imagine you will have about the same reception on the radio as the cell phone. I had a SAT phone when I was in Northern Manitoba working but the company I was helping owned it. We never turned it on and I don't know anything about the cost.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:22:48 pm »
Thanks Mullet, I also wondered about the weather radio working where my Verizon phone will not. It works most everywhere except the hole/canyon we camp in. Several years ago I went on a backpack trip into Linville Gorge, NC with a group and one guy was a member of a search and rescue team. He had a SAT phone in his pack (first time I had heard of one). I figured some folks on here may also had the opportunity to use one or rented one. I have searched some on the web and found they have a good price tag attached along with the minute(s) plan.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:29:33 pm »
 For the money I think I would look into a SAT personal locater. I forgot were they were actually called, but they are a lot cheaper. When activated you can be found just about anywhere in the world. We have looked into getting them for when I'm working off the airboat a long way from shore. If we flip the boat nobody will know where to look for us. Look at the Ben Meadows web site catalogue, they have whatI'm talking about along with some of the best weather radios and SAT phones. There are some cheaper ones.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?