Author Topic: Help with new bow  (Read 21873 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Help with new bow
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »
Here is where I am at now. I am going to give the limbs a rest till tomorrow so that they can recover.  Measuring from the back of the handle not the bell the bow is at 42 lbs at 18 inches my draw is 24.5.  How am doing guys? 

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2011, 04:17:14 pm »
You got the tips moving a bit more like you wanted.  Looks pretty good to me, maybe a bit more off on outside end of the left limb.  I think you gonna have a good lookin's bow here soon!

Thanks for sharing!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2011, 05:02:35 pm »
John, didn't you say you were shooting for 55lbs?  Just curious why you've listed the weight and draw length so much lower.  You should be pulling it to 55lbs a while before now if you want a 55lb bow.  Maybe I read it wrong?

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2011, 06:41:31 pm »
G my 53 lbs bow hits 35lbs at 18inches and is at 53lbs at 24.5inches.  This bow is at 42 lbs at 18inches. I have not pulled it past 18inch or 42 lbs to prevent undue stress.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2011, 07:44:57 pm »
I understand that you can extrapolate to the bow's final weight at partial draw.  i believe it's risky to wait to pull it to your draw weight until you are way into the tillering process.  You're gambling you have your tiller perfect enough so the last few inches of draw length can be pulled without any problems surfacing.  I think that's a bad gamble.   You can certainly build a good bow the way you're doing it.   I just think there's some risk to doing it that way.  I teach people to get their bow's limbs bending correctly as early as possible in the process and to pull their bow to their intended draw weight through the entire process.  In fact, we go to their intended draw weight 50 times or so with each wood removal.  When they get to their draw length, their bow is tillered and they have made their draw weight at their draw length.

Maybe I'm the only one who builds this way?  Having a pulley based tillering system is really helpful to tiller the way I do.  Looks like that's the way you do it too.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2011, 09:20:57 pm »
Ok I see where your coming from. This is way I love this web site there are so many good ideas and ways of doing things.  Does any one else do it differently than how I did it or how G does it? Thanks for the info I am going to try that on one of the bows I build next year. 

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2011, 09:42:20 pm »
I have done it both ways, and have had good results with both. I do find that I have a tendancy to come in underweight if I do it your method, though sometimes it takes me a while to find a good initial tiller so am forced to. Also I do not yet have a pully setup, so It is difficult to do George's way.

Jon

Offline iowabow

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:35 pm »
This is the best I can do I am afraid I am going to screw it up because I don't know if I should do more or stop.  So here are the numbers 60 at 24inches this should be about 57 or so by the time it is shot in I think.  I tillered then I  shot a couple arrows then came in and took these photos. First shot was 2 inches above bull at 15feet I was impressed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2011, 08:45:43 pm »
Thought I would show a few detail shots.  Of the tip and that aera that had two knots in it when I started.  I also forgot to include a front view. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »
John,

Looks good.  This is another really tough stave.   That's 2 in a row for you isn't it?  After you've tackled these 2 you're gonna be able to handle about anything.  ;D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »
I think you did a good job !
Its hard for me to tell for sure from a picture when the snaky part is bending well !
I do as G said soon as it gets to bending good I pull to the intended draw weight but no more!
I draw a straight line on the side of the limb where its snaky so I can hold a strait edge by the line as its pulled to see how much bend I have in each area.
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline iowabow

« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2011, 10:17:50 am »
Thank you all for your help in making this bow a sucuss.  I am going to put a little walnut stain to the wood this morning.  After it dries I am going to put Tru oil on for the finish.  I like the look of leather handles but prefer to leave the wood.  Thank again and the next time I have a normal piece of wood it should be a walk in the park.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »
You bet that bow looks great!!!!I'm sorry I may have confused you by telling you not to pull your bow to your target weight while tillering to reduce stress.I did'nt exactly mean that.I meant until the limbs were bending evenly.A person has to to ensure the limbs expose your tiller from wood removal.I pull mine 25 times or so after each wood removal,but never over my intended target weight.As you go do you see too that about every 2 inches of draw produces about 5 pounds of draw weight.Might be different with different designs but on my bows it's approximately that.Good thing to know you know while tillering.You came in heavier with this one than 57 pounds at 26 inches.I do that too once in a while calling good enough good enough.Don't hurt to shoot a little overbuilt bow anyway.LOL.Again really good job John.Now I don't know about your assumtion of every next straight bow to be a walk in the park....LOL,but your sure well on your way to being an accomplished bowyer at least with hedge.If you ever try some white woods sometime be ready for some differences.Old hedge is such a forgiving wood I think but some white woods are'nt.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #118 on: November 29, 2011, 01:58:47 pm »
Just curious,do you remember how much reflex you started with before tillering?Or how much set it took on ya?Looks like on your pictures after shooting a few arrows it still retains some reflex or at least flat.Nice efficient looking bow John.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #119 on: November 29, 2011, 05:43:25 pm »
Yes Sir,

Looking Good.

I have a Yeller stave coming along that looks similar to your starting stave.
Just hoping to come close to what you have done with this one.
Rollercoaster in a Tornado.
Tornadic Rollercoaster?

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX