Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 451634 times)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #300 on: February 12, 2012, 11:47:26 am »
Got a few things outta the way, now getting started.  Yesterday, was a good day in Wicki's Bow Shop.  Steamed a couple, dipped a couple, and peeled out my trade bow for *******.  Even had a bit of help...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #301 on: February 12, 2012, 11:50:17 am »
A few more teasers...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline coaster500

« Reply #302 on: February 12, 2012, 12:04:40 pm »
That's a great 16 year old stave and looks like it's going bow be a better bow :)

One suggestion, maybe lighten up on the help...  poor feller looks worn out  >:D

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline gmc

« Reply #303 on: February 12, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »
I got xxxxxxxxx's bow tillered yesterday. Still a little heavy but I left 5 lbs. of draw weight to shoot the bow in and tweak the tiller later. I was able to hold on to 1.5 or so of reflex, it should be a screamer.  >:D

The stressful part is now over and time to start the fun part of dressing it up. You know, the chrome, mag wheels, paint, racing stripes, that sort of thing. 8)

Central Kentucky

blackhawk

« Reply #304 on: February 12, 2012, 01:51:56 pm »
that made me smile matt seeing your lil miss carving  ;D...looks like ya got a good one cooking ;)....for me ;)

looks like a signature gmc bow there...nice :)....ill take that too....heck how bout i post my address so everyone can send there awesome looking bows to me...ill take em all >:D

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #305 on: February 12, 2012, 02:16:53 pm »
that made me smile matt seeing your lil miss carving  ;D...looks like ya got a good one cooking ;)....for me ;)

looks like a signature gmc bow there...nice :)....ill take that too....heck how bout i post my address so everyone can send there awesome looking bows to me...ill take em all >:D
then il give you my address for all the ones too heavy for you ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #306 on: February 12, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »
Hey Matt, beautiful bow.  Curious though why you didn't band saw that one in half for 2 bows?  Looked like both edges were nice and square.  I tried dating my staves like that but my outdoor storage seemed to thwart the plan.  I'll do it again now that I have indoor bow wood racks.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2012, 05:55:45 pm »
nice looking bow gmc 8)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2012, 06:09:00 pm »
George:  LOL!   :laugh: :laugh:   You know, I'll bet I spent an hour comtemplating on the 2-fer.  I even layed out both bows prior to that pic.  Sometimes the "greed factor" gets the best of me.  I played it safe for this one. 

Bawk:  She actually enjoyed it.  Now she's working on one.  She  :-*  put in her request for a workbench add-on, complete with a second vice. 

Just finished some long-overdue, dolling up on a couple of bows.  Maybe I'll post some pics.  Time to get the sinew pot rolling. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #309 on: February 12, 2012, 06:11:15 pm »
Miss Heather looks good with that draw-knife !!
Might as well get that baby used to making bows right off !
No such thing as to young to learn !
Can't wait to see you folks again !
Tell Miss Heather hey for me !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #310 on: February 12, 2012, 06:11:27 pm »
Looks like Sassy was enjoying the bowbuilding process!  I used to lay a small canvas over my pile of shavings so my old Scully could be comfortable in the shop.  She enjoyed just being in there with me.  I wish I had the sense to have taken a picture of her on a pile of osage chips when I had the chance. 

Nice shot of the endgrain, MWirwicki, I love the look of that wood!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #311 on: February 12, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »
I got a little more done on my HHB trade bow today. Shes pulling about 50#@17" on a short string with a good even bend in both limbs even with a wierd grain swirl or or whatever in one limb. I decided to kick the tips a little so I did that today too. You can see that wierd grain thing on this limb.

This limb is very clean...
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline John K

« Reply #312 on: February 12, 2012, 07:43:08 pm »
Looking great guys !

I wasn't able to work on my trade bow this weekend, hope to get some done next weekend.

Lots of great bows in the works !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #313 on: February 12, 2012, 08:56:02 pm »
I got my bow floor tillered, reflexed and flipped. Rawhide and tip overlays tomorrow night. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline footfootfoot

• Now with more irony
« Reply #314 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:13 pm »
Feeling a little intimidated by how awesome everything looks (I know it's about the process and making the best bow you can, but I've got 50 years of perfectionism and competitiveness to overcome)  so I'm on the fence about whether to make a laminated bow (something I'm much more comfortable with) or a self bow. I would like to make the self bow to stretch my horizons, maybe I'll do that.

I split a Hop Hornbeam stave the other day and I am thinking it would be pretty cool to leave all the gnarly muscley outer bits intact. Do you think that would cause performance problems?
Bring me my Bow of burning gold; Bring me my Arrows of desire: Bring me my Spear: O clouds unfold! Bring me my Chariot of fire!