Author Topic: Building a hockory horse bow  (Read 7418 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Building a hockory horse bow
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:32 pm »
A quick run down of sinewing.
1 - First sort your sinew 60 - 100 grammes) into same weight bundles of maybe 30 fibers each and few with less.
2 - Get a smooth flat board and metal comb and soak your sinew bundles in warm water until they become really soft.
3 - Coat the back of your bow with fairly thin glue mixture. Allow to dry and repeat.
4 - Make up some thicker glue - but not too thick or else your finished bow will creak when drawn...
5 - Remove bundles from water and squeeze out excess water between your fingers.
6 - Comb out any twist/crossed fibers until the bundles are strips of parallel fibers.
7 - Soak in the glue and make sure the glue is well worked in and then squeeze out any excess.
8 - Place on your bow like bricks in a wall. Making the center higher than the edges. Crowned.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 06:47:32 pm »
Just Heated, and shaped this morning, now for the 2 weeks of drying. Probably be done all done by March, we'll see. :-\
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline EricWard

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:47 am »
Like the guys said when i go to the processor to drop off a deer I grab all the legs they cut off and cut the tendons out while im there alot of people look at you funny and ask alot of questions but its free and you can have them save you the back strap tendon they just throw it away

Offline MoNative

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:33 am »
Alright, so really and trully, is sinew going to be a 100% have to on my bow, or will it be fine without? I am on a pretty fixed budget, and I don't really want to go through the extra money or hassle. But, if it is needed, I will do what I must.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline catfish john

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 01:45:31 am »
DEFINATELY a MUST!! horse bows are short and under a LOT of stress! I am in the process of making both an Asian style, and Native American style horse bow right now. YOU HAVE TO SINEW BACK!

Offline MoNative

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 01:52:25 am »
Alright, will do.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 06:54:57 pm »
Agreed, ...sinew is a must for as short a bow as a horse bow is if you want any effective draw weight out of it.

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »
you know it all depends on what your bow length to draw length and weight intentions are whether or not you need sinew. you never stated what dimensions you are attempting.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:04 pm »
The bow is 52" and I am shooting for 40# or more.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:02 pm »
@ around 27" or 28" draw

Offline catfish john

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 11:10:03 pm »
I never make anything over 48", simply because I hunt very wooded and brushy areas, and I don't use a tree stand, but I'de still say that sinew backing a 52"bow is a really good idea.

Offline PatM

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 11:42:10 pm »
Where are you guys getting these "rules" from?  Quite a few Native horse bows were short and unbacked. 

Offline wildkatt

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 11:54:36 pm »
 8) I build a few Horse bows and unless it has a spot im concerned about i wont sinew them. My usual Horse bow is in the 50'' to 54'' draw is usualy in the 24 to 26'' range. Weights very usualy somewhere between 45 and 65 lbs. and being that your bow is Hic. and Hic is very forgiving I prolly wouldnt back it. JMO  >:D

Katt
I didnt claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegies

Offline MoNative

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 12:00:56 am »
Reeeaaaally confused as to what to do guys!!! :o

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 12:10:56 am »
Read-read-read-study-study-study. As you can see there are a million ways to do one thing, and all of them work to add confusion to a confusing build to start with. Wade through it all and make your best decision then. Nobody can tell you what to build or how to build it. They can give their opinions only.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.