Author Topic: Building a hockory horse bow  (Read 7419 times)

Offline MoNative

Building a hockory horse bow
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:23 pm »
Okay, I am building a plains indians style horse bow out of hickory, and I just wondered if placing sinew on the back will be a have to? Anyone have any answers for me? :D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:08:55 pm by MoNative »
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Building a hockory horse bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »
Sorry but don't understand your question.   Hickory works fine with a sinew backing as long as you live in a dry climate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline MoNative

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »
I'm from Missouri.
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 01:10:59 pm »
I have never built a horse bow and probably never will. My thoughts rae that horse bows are generally very short and work very hard, that tells my bow mind that it needs sinew to perform and hold strong. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:15:43 pm »
The only problem is, I have no way to get sinew. :P

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:39 pm »
Sure you do. Its all over the internet cheap.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:19:37 pm »
The only problem is, I have no way to get sinew. :P

There is ALWAYS a way. buy of net, trade with the fine folks here. Check game processing places during hunting season. Lots of ways.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:00:32 pm »
I may buy some from Kustom King pre processed. But will sinew be okay for Missouri and year around hunting here? :-\

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 02:04:39 pm »
Seal it well.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:05:09 pm »
<snip>But will sinew be okay for Missouri and year around hunting here? :-\

Yes it will be fine here.  I'm in SPFD.  Sinew backed Osage or Hickory do awesome here.  Now on a morning like this morning is, you'll want to keep your bow covered and out of the weather when possible, ...and you'll have to expect to loose a few pounds of draw weight on soggy days, ...but that is the case anywhere you might go with a sinew backed bow of any sort.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 02:14:57 pm »
Okay guys, like I said, I will buy some already processed sinew, so could someone give me the whole rundown for what needs to be done after I get the sinew. And does it matter that I have already shaped the stave?

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 02:22:55 pm »
If you can wait a few days,  Gordon is doing a build-a-long of a sinew backed yew bow.  A bit different from what you are trying to build, but I have a feeling the pictures and techniques will be pretty useful to you.

Also use the search bar at the top of the PA screen.  Search for sinew,  there's lots of good examples and build-a-longs around here.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30667.0.html

gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 02:36:38 pm »
So I can sinew it after I have formed it to the shape of a horse bow?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 02:38:12 pm »
Your question is comparable to asking how to build a car. Do as Gabe suggested. Start reading, searching and learning. 

Offline Dane

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 02:46:09 pm »
How do I build a car, Pearl? It has to get 100 mpg, run on biofuels, crude oil, and whale oil, and impress women more than a Ferarri or a Porche. Plus, only cost 50 bucks. :)

MoNative, there are tons of resources, and the folks here will help you as much as they can, but you have to start somewhere, and gaining knowledge is the first step. Paleoplanet is also a great web resource, as are the four TBB. You can probably check thos out of your library if you dont want to invest in them first.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts