Author Topic: Building a hockory horse bow  (Read 7421 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Building a hockory horse bow
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 01:56:16 am »
No two people on here do everything or will agree the same on all topics.  I think it has been like that since the first bows were made!!!!!

Offline Gordon

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 03:06:37 am »
A 52" stiff-handled and recurved wood bow without backing will have a high probability of breaking if drawn to 28".
Gordon

blackhawk

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 08:11:20 am »
A 52" stiff-handled and recurved wood bow without backing will have a high probability of breaking if drawn to 28".

And yet in the TBB there's a photo of a 48" hickory recurve stiff handled unbacked pulling 28".   :o.  ...but gordon is correct in saying "high probability of breaking".

See...now your really confused ...I just built a 50.5" selfbow that I know could be pulled to 28" easy...I wood just incur a lil more set. Research,read,research,read...repeat

Offline MoNative

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »
I was thinking, would just glueing rawhide on the back work???
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 01:49:08 pm »
I would use sinew and rawhide.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline catfish john

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 03:36:13 pm »
Sinew and rawhide would be my choice as well. You don't want to put all that effort into a short bow just to have it break because you didn't sinew back it. Check out the bow making video by Ed Scott on you-tube, you'll find lots of info on there.

Offline MoNative

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 05:32:25 pm »
Rawhide alone won't cut it then??
Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. He is our rock of ages, our everlasting arms.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 05:33:14 pm »
No
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.