Author Topic: "Tennese Hickory Comes To Michigan"  (Read 35733 times)

a finnish native

Re: "Tennese Hickory Comes To Michigan"
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2007, 05:51:16 pm »
As the becoming bow is from hickory which is an excellent backing material, but not so good with compression I would maybe put some reflex into it with a heat gun so then the minor set will dissapear and the MC will drop dramatically which is good with hickory, and the belly will get harder and thus handle the compression better.
at this stage I would scrape a LITTLE of the midlimbs and tips and then go for the short string. When changing the string to a short one it will obviously bring the tips round more due to the pull on them.
of course I don't have to tell you to be gentle wit the bending after the heat if you will go for it.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 06:17:17 pm »
Lookin good Dana - don't know how I missed this one. Wasn't online first part of this month. I've only built the one hik from a stave - didn't do any drying or heating, just let it ambiate in the house for a few months - seems like it takes a tad more set every time I shoot er. I'm learning right along beside ya ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 07:07:55 pm »
I induced a reflex initially do you think I should do it again at this point? My caul puts most of the reflex in the tips, after looking at
the bow again its regained what it lost. thanks fer the input I will work the mid and outer limbs a bit more.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2007, 06:15:21 am »
Dana looking good so far,I usually put them back on the form at about 20 inches and heat the
belly then ,some say that is to late but I have found for me it helps.I will say with Hickory I
tiller in several stages and let it rest in between.I will get it braces and rest.Then out to 10/12 and rest then about 20 and rest and then finish to draw being sure to keep it in a hot box or
really dry place in between.Then when it is out to draw and I have shot it a few time I will let it dry again and put a few coats of sealer on it before I shoot it in.Doing all this I have never had any problem with Hickory and moisture and will keep set to a minimum.Tiller is looking good,What Pat said. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2007, 07:29:33 am »
I've been keeping her in a hot box Pappy, have to so humid here it would be a noodle by now.
Going to take half a day off today so I will get a chance to get it to brace, I hope. So much to do and so little time.
I decided to make a ladies bow with the second stave you sent Pappy it will be a matched set for Sarah and Scotts wedding,
which isn't likely to be until spring now. Thjanks for the input guys.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:09 am »
when i was almost done with my last hickory pyramid, i gave it a good belly tempering inducing reflex, starting at the fades but predominantly at the tips.  let it recover for a week and finished the tiller.  it gained a few pounds and still has some of the reflex. i'm quite happy with the outcome.  just mentioned it, in case you want to try it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:39 am »
Ok I will try reflexing it again after its closer to done.
No day off today one of my operators called in with a fake sickness >:( He will pay next week dont get mad get even eh ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2007, 11:42:49 am »
Dana, don't get to worried about a bunch of reflex if this is your first.  I know how bad you want it to come out, and it is already the start of a great bow.  Just make sure you keep it dry.  You can put it on the form and use a heat gun like others have said.  But you can make a good bow without.  I guess what I am saying, is do what you feel good about.  If you are nervous about it, or if you get to preoccupied with it, it can take all the fun out.  Enjoy it, there is no formula to follow for a good bow.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2007, 04:26:27 pm »
Finally got her to low brace about 3.5"
Last pic is right after un bracing.

Any and all advice welcome. I don't wanna mess up.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Manistique, MI

a finnish native

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2007, 07:21:50 pm »
this is what my eyes tell me: the left limb is doing a little too much work at the near fade. the right limb has a tiny hinge at approximately the second third of the limb from the handle, and it should do more work at mid limb. just a little scraping and you'll be done mate. 8)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2007, 09:13:51 pm »
Looks perfect to me.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2007, 11:37:56 pm »
I agree exactly with a Finnish native above. But nice job, it's coming along well.
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2007, 07:20:56 am »
Thanks guys, sure wish I had a better area to take pics, the lighting really sucks in my basement(dungeon)
I agree they are bending the same amount but not quite in the same places, not sure if I see a hinge though.
won't get back to it for a few days, I need to finish some huntin arra's.

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 10:24:41 am »
Looking good, Dana. Just take it slow and steady.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 10:38:07 am »
Dana, I think what looks like a hinge is actually an illusion caused by the junction in the lines and the X right above the limb.  You arent at a full brace height yet.  Keep moving and do like Hillbilly said, "slow and steady."  Justin

SW Utah