Author Topic: Little Hide Glue Demo  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Little Hide Glue Demo
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 07:01:25 pm »
When I saw the tool you use for trimming up the chewies, I immediately thought you were going to add talon and beak coping remnants!!!  I have the exact same cutter in my bird shed!

Sharpen it up with a Dremel and save your carpals from carping about the workout.

JW, if you feed food objects with large bone (rabbit heads, squirrel hide, etc) you almost totally eliminate the need to cope but I can see where you folks would need to trim talons...I need em as sharp as I can get em  >:D

The cutter WAS sharp when I started but after 50 of those rawhides at about 20 cuts per stick they can get dull even while working on one batch, have to try the dremel sharpening I guess  8)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:51 pm »
Could you use a bandsaw to cut the rawhides into little bits like that?

Don't see why you couldn't but with all the fiddly pieces I personally wouldn't (I'm afraid I'd loose a finger tip  :o)...I try to cut em thin so they reduce down quicker.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 08:17:39 pm »
Lee couldn't you just drop the lost finger tip into the batch? No sense wasting it.

Lane

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »
Cool how too Rice Crispies ;) Them was some big hoof clippings :laugh:

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 09:15:06 pm »
Lane, yup...if the finger tip had bone in it more the better  :o

Cip...Crispies indeed!  Hooves were WAY past due  ::)
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 11:21:47 pm »
looks like you are cooking up some fun projects to come.  Thanks for posting this brew- a -long!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:29:47 pm »
looks like you are cooking up some fun projects to come.  Thanks for posting this brew- a -long!

Yes Sir, never can have too much of a good thing on hand  ;)  Hopefully I'll be rewarming some of this up again real soon.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 11:47:55 pm »
Sorry about that Josh, really am...

Yup, I am starting to prep materials for a NA Bison horn / sinew bow, then I have a pair of Gemsbok horns I need to play with and then hopefully onto my 1st Asiatic Horn bow.  Guess it's the "Year of the Horn Bow" for me...   >:D
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:09 am »
are those twisties the ~1/4" thick variety? none of my local stores carry that brand and I thought they looked like the small pack I found of 100 for about $15
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2012, 11:16:20 am »
Not 100% sure Sempertiger but pretty much any little rawhide that hasn't been smoked or flavored should work fine...good luck!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold