Author Topic: Little Hide Glue Demo  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Little Hide Glue Demo
« on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:51 pm »
Hey folks, I imagine this topic has been done to the point of saturation but I figured I give my version.  I have tried a few different sources of material for hide glue over the last year but have pretty much settled on this "recipe".

I stop at Wally World and they always have these in stock.  I like em cause you get a better volume to cost ration ($5) and they snip up nicely into small pieces which makes for a quicker reduction.  They are a 50 count package.  (Don't get the smoked or flavored versions as they do some really odd things to your glue)

Here is a shot of the chews all cut into very small piece...I use the entire 50 pieces.

Next I like to add 4 "croaker" fish bladders...I find these at one of our Asian Food Markets and pick up a couple dozen at a time.  I use the bandage cutters to snip these into smaller pieces as well (if you have carpel tunnel syndrome you will certainly be feeling it by now after the 50 chews and these tough suckers!)

All cut up in the crock now, I will add a fair amount of hot water and put it on my small double crock cooker/warmer which has 3 settings...Low, High and Warm.  I put it on High and leave the cover slightly ajar to aid in evaporation and let the heat and water do their magic for the next 10+ hours.

Stay Tuned for the next update.

Thanks for looking~
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Dane

Re: Little Hide Glue Demo
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 08:02:03 pm »
Great topic and you are doing a great job. Clear and simple to follow directions. Thank you for doing this.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 08:11:10 pm »
My pleasure Dane...I have a Molly bow that was gifted to my Son and we want to add some sinew to it to give it a bit more heft for some Bow-fishing this spring.

Add just to make sure this thread has a small vein of "Primitive" to it I also like to add a small handful of toe nail clippings to the mix (if it is timely to do so... ::))

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bbs383ci

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:15:03 pm »
 ???

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »
Here is pretty much the wrap-up for the demo.  Here is a shot of my double crock that works great for this type of work.

A pretty much full quart of Hide Glue...I'll let this cool down and then it will get popped in the freezer for future use.

A shot of the screen I use for sorting out the slimies & leftovers (didn't notice any whole toe nails so they must have reduced nicely  >:D  ::))

There are the leftover remnants...don't throw em out, add more water to the crock, toss em back in and set it to high and let them keep rendering.  This will yield a mini-batch but worth it to this cheap Dutchman.

Hope it helped someone out...Thanks for looking~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 08:43:54 pm »
Cool thread Lee. I bet the fish bladders add some extar "tack" to the recipe. Thats a whole lotta glue!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:48:29 pm »
Toenails give me the heebee jeebees.  Other than that, this is a nice how to.  I could have used it a couple of weeks ago.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
Sorry Osage Outlaw (and the others) I added the bit about the toenails for some humor, didn't really add them to the mix but I suppose you could if you wanted too.   ::)  I knew my humor was dry but I guess this one bordered on tasteless.  Cheers~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 09:01:46 pm »
Cool follow-along,were the fish bladders your own special touch or are they necessary?Ron

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:07:54 pm »
The fish bladders help to give the glue a touch more "open time" when working as they don't get quite as fast as pure Hide Glue...for a batch this large I should have probably added another 4 or 5 more but this stuff will work just fine. 
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:36 pm »
Very nice Lee thanks for doing this! The toe nail bit was funny I almost choked on my whiskey lol

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 05:22:30 pm »
I've gone to every store in my little town. You don't happen to have an online source for the fish bladders do you? I've spent almost 2 hours looking, and only have 1 source that charges $18 + shipping for 3oz.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 06:44:51 pm »
When I saw the tool you use for trimming up the chewies, I immediately thought you were going to add talon and beak coping remnants!!!  I have the exact same cutter in my bird shed!

Sharpen it up with a Dremel and save your carpals from carping about the workout.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:57:20 pm »
Could you use a bandsaw to cut the rawhides into little bits like that?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 06:58:42 pm »
I've gone to every store in my little town. You don't happen to have an online source for the fish bladders do you? I've spent almost 2 hours looking, and only have 1 source that charges $18 + shipping for 3oz.

I don't even recall the little Asian store I picked these up at so I'm afraid I can't help ya out there but I do need to buy some more before I move & leave this area so if I do I'll let ya know.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold