Author Topic: When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?  (Read 31152 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: When do you start calling yourself a bowyer?
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2012, 04:54:44 pm »
I was wonderin' when the sheriff was going to drop into the bowyer's bar to settle down them fellers. Step on over,Sheriff Pappy, and I'll pour you a coffee...black, no sugar? Man coffee. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Peter-t123

« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2012, 07:54:38 pm »
"what kind of weights do you build?"

Nothing heavy or anything. If it is for myself than I will make a bow 50# - 80#. I can build up to 125 fine but I popped a rib trying to go to around 150 on this bow (it was from an injury from a long time ago, some huge guy punched me when we was drunk and I don't know if he broke it but I couldn't move or bend or sit down or sleep or nothing without being in some pretty bad pain for like 2 months. I would of went to the hospitial but I had warrents at the time for some stupid stuff and was a bit paranoid.). Honestly I have zero experience with anything heavier and I don't want to.

yet you think you can teach someone to make 'good' warbows in a few days?

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:17 pm »
"what kind of weights do you build?"

Nothing heavy or anything. If it is for myself than I will make a bow 50# - 80#. I can build up to 125 fine but I popped a rib trying to go to around 150 on this bow (it was from an injury from a long time ago, some huge guy punched me when we was drunk and I don't know if he broke it but I couldn't move or bend or sit down or sleep or nothing without being in some pretty bad pain for like 2 months. I would of went to the hospitial but I had warrents at the time for some stupid stuff and was a bit paranoid.). Honestly I have zero experience with anything heavier and I don't want to.

yet you think you can teach someone to make 'good' warbows in a few days?

Whoa guys... Peter-t123 don't you think that this has been heated up enough? Can everyone please stop questioning toomanyknots and let him keep his own opinions? Everyone has different ones and a I personally believe that yes a good bowyer could teach people to build good bows in just a few days with the proper guidance and mentoring.

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2012, 08:35:25 pm »
yeah lets be cool and just let it go
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2012, 09:00:51 pm »
Would you like to enlighten me peter to the reason why I could not? (also, to note, I am definitely cool as a cucumber. I never mind debating anything on here, keeps me from annoying my wife)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:06:59 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline bubby

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05:22 pm »
no reason why you can't, those  bows were meant to be mass produced
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2012, 09:53:20 pm »
all you fellas can call me anything ya like.....just not late for supper
rich

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »
to add to half eye comment
call me anything you want but don't call me a compound shooter!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2012, 11:26:46 pm »
Pete-t123;

Please take Ifrit167's advice and lets keep this a simple debate without the cutting remarks. Pappy's asleep, the Deputies have Night Shift.  ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline country

« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2012, 12:53:36 am »
so........... :o......to make a polar bear trap.... you cut a hole in the ice... open a can of peas and place the peas around the hole..... when the bear comes to take a pea...  you kick him in the ice hole......    8) 

Offline k-hat

« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2012, 12:54:31 am »
All this from such an innocent question ::)

Around non bow folks i call myself a bowyer (and then explain).  Around (most of) you guys i call myself a novice.  Fair nuff?

I will say this, there is a BIG difference between walking someone through the bowbuilding process and having them produce a bow (even an exceptional one), and then letting them go on their own and do it again, whether a copy of the original or let alone a new style.  It's like walking a child through a few addition problems and saying you taught them addition (and then calling them a mathematician!)   Having done both (teach math and bowbuilding), I can attest to the similarity. 

I can't imagine learning this craft without PA and all the mentors I have.  I imagine i'd have broken a whole lot and persevered through sheer stubbornness!!

Hope I'm not stirring up instead of adding productive banter ;)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2012, 12:55:04 am »
lol country, cut that out . . . my kids are asleep!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2012, 02:53:08 am »
"I can't imagine learning this craft without PA and all the mentors I have.  I imagine i'd have broken a whole lot and persevered through sheer stubbornness!!"

Can you imagine how much more boring making bows would be without the internet and this forum/paleoplanet/tradgang/the leatherwall/any other one I am forgetting? We would all be "master bowyers" just because we wouldn't have anything to do but make bows! lol I will say that if there is any one thing that the internet bowyer/bow making community or whatever I'm aloud to call it ( ;D lol) has given to me, it would be inspiration from day one. Just all the bows that people make, I have come to have an individual fetish for, I believe, ever single type and design of bow from seeing so many types and designs that I liked and learning the intricacies of their construction. Where as I probably would not of taken an interest in a certain type of bow other wise.  And the ability to share something with people who will appreciate it opposed to most people I know in person in my day to day life who just don't put there heart into anything they do. You do make some good points k-hat. Bub, that is how I feel too.

so........... :o......to make a polar bear trap.... you cut a hole in the ice... open a can of peas and place the peas around the hole..... when the bear comes to take a pea...  you kick him in the ice hole......    8) 

Lol, what?!?  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:56:11 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2012, 03:02:29 am »
that made my night ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2012, 07:06:39 am »
 ;D ;D ;D it's all good. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good