Author Topic: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully. ** DONE **  (Read 157670 times)

blackhawk

Re: Hackberry recurve build along, real time hopefully.
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2012, 08:44:30 pm »
lookin good in the tree..but hows she look in the hand ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2012, 08:47:27 am »

I know, I know. Im not a tree fan at this point, but its hard to do a build along any other way. I will get some hand drawn shots tonite. Wifey might just be nice enough to snap a few.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2012, 08:52:29 am »

I know, I know. Im not a tree fan at this point, but its hard to do a build along any other way. I will get some hand drawn shots tonite. Wifey might just be nice enough to snap a few.

Sometimes thats the hardest part of building,cus if your not in good graces with the wife then no pics for you..lol :laugh:....i dont know how mine puts up with me ::)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:40 am »
That's lookin real good PD! Great job, so far! Git her finished up so we can see her fling them arras.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2012, 11:29:07 am »
Looking good Pearl !
Blackhawk
Maybe thats why I cant get any pictures to work !!
I can't wait to get together with you folks again !!
Guy

Sometimes thats the hardest part of building,cus if your not in good graces with the wife then no pics for you..lol :laugh:....i dont know how mine puts up with me ::)
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline k-hat

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2012, 11:50:18 am »
Looks like she's gonna be quite the speed demon!  Nice work and graceful curves.  Can't wait to see her skinned out!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2012, 11:52:01 am »
She IS quite a speed demon Kevin. As of now she has all of 4" of relfex. I shot it last night a bit.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2012, 12:06:14 pm »
Really comin strong Drums....  I like it!!

Great build :)
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2012, 03:13:28 pm »
Kinda got a Marc St Louis photography thing going on here,  ;D

Great looking bow.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:33 pm »
1 hour - skins and grooves, plus sanding.

I shot the bow about 25-30 times today at 26", very fast little thing. The tiller looked good in the mirror. No photographer yet. The bow is drawing 42# @ 26". Im really hoping it gains another 2-4#'s this summer. Its time for string grooves on the belly of the statics. I braced the bow and made a pencil line where the string stopped touching the belly. Thats where my groove will end. I grabbed a 3/16" round file and file a groove half its diameter dead center until I find my pencil mark. Go slow here, its too easy to make worm tracks with a round file. I roll up some 50 grit and clean the grooves out some and make sure my grooves in my tips run into my belly groove.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 07:57:24 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2012, 07:23:20 pm »
I sanded the whole bow down after filing in my belly grooves. I went down to 120 grit for now. Its time for skins. I had a chunk of Timber Rattler laying around that was 18" long. I split the skin and had just enough to cover my sinew, how cool is that! Skins are very easy to apply to any bow. A few basic tools are needed. A bucket, pan or bowel of water, bath towel, glue and some skins. The first thing I do is drop the skins in water. Then spread glue evenly and completely over one limb. By the time Im done with that the skin is ready to come out.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2012, 07:30:58 pm »
Once I have the glue spread nicely and around the edges some I grab a skin and lay it scales up on a towel. Then gently fold the towel over and tamp the skin slightly dry. I lay the skin on the bow with the head towards the tip. Be sure to have the pattern lined up as best you can. Air bubbles form when the skin contacts the bow so you must be sure to work all them out by gently running your fingers with the scale direction squeezing air out as you go, be sure to also keep the edges tacked down. I like to "pet" my skins for about 3-4 minutes after final alignment and smoothing is done. I do this just to be sure all surfaces stay stuck and to be sure the skins are in full contact with the back and edges. TBIII sets up fast and usually 3-4 minutes is enough "petting" to ensure good adhesion.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2012, 07:37:12 pm »
I like to trim the belly skin and scales off right away, most often before I even apply the skins. You will find that belly skin curls right up fast after taking it from the water. Get rid of it so it doesnt ruin your work when you come back to a curled up mess! I did a repeat on the second limb and will let the bow sit for two days. I will wait 18-20 hours on a hard back bow. With hide glue and sinew backed I want to let it sit extra long. Any slight ridges in the sinew back will hold extra glue that will need time to harden up unlike a smooth, hard back.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 08:04:43 pm by PEARL DRUMS »

Offline TRACY

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2012, 07:42:11 pm »
Very nice venison stick PD! Enjoyed looking at the evolution of this bow in the last 20 minutes. I like the heat gun "stand"!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2012, 09:34:53 pm »
Looking real nice, PD....real nice.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA