Author Topic: Scrappy Little Bow  (Read 25132 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Scrappy Little Bow
« on: August 23, 2007, 03:21:32 pm »
This is a little project I have been playing around with.  It is a sinew back, hickory core, Ipe belly 36" NTN.  The bow sinew is leg sinew and the string is backstrap sinew, both harvested from roadkill mule deer. The hickory core is a tiny scrap that was given to me by Pat B to play with.  The Ipe was given to me by Chris Parker (minuteman) and is a sticker from a pallet of deck material.  The finish is hide glue with potash, blood and some mineral in it.  The mineral and the blood added the color and combined with the potash it is insoluble.  The handle wrap is rabbit fur I had lying around.  The crows feet and the feather on the arrow are from a road kill crow.  The cane is from Kowechobe, so it naturally got a Seminole one fletch.  The point is an obsidian point that didn't make the grade for some arrow I made a while back.  I call it "Scrappy Little Bow" because it is made from scraps and because it pulls 42# at 20". I hope you enjoy it. I know I sure enjoyed making it.  The last picture is side profile right after being drawn to 20 and shot 5 times, then unbraced. I will try to get a picture of it on a tillering tree tonight.  Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Scrappy Little Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 03:27:36 pm »
Cool little bow.  Looks like you might be able to squeeze a couple more inches of draw out of it.  How do you attach the string?  Make a loop on one end and tie the other on?  What kind of nocks?

It must take you hours to get anywhere, what with all the stops to pick up dead varmint parts.

I like that by the way, my wife made me a roadkill kit for every vehicle I own.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »
SWEET! I love it, it looks like a real shooter :). Love those little bows that can draw more than half their length ;D!!! And that arrow looks excellent as well :).

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:45:46 pm »
Very cool bow! I love the finish you put on it. And btw, looks like you have the exact same floor tiles as me :)
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline snedeker

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 03:51:42 pm »
Challenging little jobby.  I have been foolin with a similar idea for sinew and and ipe belly to allow good compression stringth for a shorter bow, but I was toing to go THAT short.  Excellentay

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:19:14 pm »
Excellent bow Justin! ;) Crap! now I have another project added to my list. ;D
   What kind of distance are you getting with the cane arrow. Would, or will, you hunt with it?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 04:23:56 pm »
OOPS, I forgot to get all the dimensions.  I just remeasured it.  I forgot I had to cut the ipe to fit the hickory.  It is actually 34 1/2" tip to tip, and 33 1/2" NTN.  it is 7/8" wide at the handle and 5/8" wide at the tips.  It is barely 1/2" thick at the handle and 3/8" thick at midlimb.  The nocks are pin nocks wrapped in sinew.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 04:27:54 pm »
way cool brother. way cool.

luv them d bows!
jamie2

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 04:32:57 pm »
Thanks guys,
Lennie, I am a road kill scrounging fool. It takes all my willpower to pass up on the owls and hawks.  I would really like to pick them up.
Kegan, I must admit I was a little scared to pull it to 20" at first.  :-[
Dane, the finish is definitely one of the high points.
Dave, give it heck. I am amazed how short you can get.
Pat, I havent shot for distance yet.  Yes I will be hunting coyote when I go calling.  I might use it to knock a few coons out of the trees too.  Do you recognize the little hickory scrap now.  ;D
Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 04:57:02 pm »
        Well now "WAR AXE"(Justin) so sorry ta tell ya yer talents are showin' thru ! ;D Your overall presentation is beautiful, the attention ta detail is wonderful. Ya tiller is excellent. What kinna string ? I think a NA hunter of ole' would be proud ta carry that on a hunt an because of the materials used it has much "puba." Hmm............ minerals , potash and blood ya must be talkin' ta NA'S!  ;) About 15yds er so it will do the job on thin skinned game. Maybe like Lennie said ya can get a couple more " of draw outta it but I dont think ya need ta to do the job its supposed ta do. Horn next ? ;) ;D ;D......bob
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 05:00:58 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 05:01:37 pm »
Justin, I have the sister to that hickory scrap!  ;) Hopefully I can come close to this incredible little bow. ;)   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 05:43:29 pm »
Lennie, sorry I missed the question.  Yes the string has a loop on one end and is tied on the other.  The trick is getting it untied though.   :D
Thanks Jamie2
Bob,  as a matter of fact, I have been reading books by NA's and talking to some feller from Florida.  ;) The string is backstrap sinew from roadkill mule deer.  The drawin the picture is a little short, about 18". I was trying to time it with the timmer on the camera.  The node in the cane arrow, just above my thumb on my bow hand is 21".  When my kids get home, I will try to get a "FULL" draw picture.  Horn... HMMMMMM...  ;) ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 05:46:15 pm »
      Sorry there "WAR AXE" nature of ya string was in original post didnt see it guess eyes aint what we once >:(....bob

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 06:04:35 pm »
Nice bow. I was just going to post a question as to whether anyone had simply backed Ipe with sinew. I have a plan to make a shorty with some spliced in recurves.
 Pat

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 06:08:12 pm »

yeah! cool bow!
frank
Frank from Germany...