Author Topic: Your thoughts on equal length limbs?  (Read 3593 times)

Offline smoke

Your thoughts on equal length limbs?
« on: April 13, 2012, 11:06:31 am »
My curiosity was recently sparked by some comments on this site regarding the "Torges" approach to limb length and tillering.   Inspired by the conversation, I bought and read Dean's book - but I remain unconvinced that equal length limbs are inadequate.   So for those of you who have shot bows with limbs of equal length and bows with a longer top limb, put your theory aside, and tell us which you think actually shoots better.   I realize this question seeks a subjective response but your personal experiences have been very valuable to me in the past and I'd like to hear them once again . . . before I tackle my next stave.  Thanks much!   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Your thoughts on equal length limbs?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 12:11:28 pm »
All of mine are equal limb unless I have a problem and need to pike the lower,Don't know much about Dean's style bow,but never had an issue with mine. :) :) He say that is the only way to make a bow that will shoot good,I can assure you that ant true. :) I think it is just a matter of preference. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline k-hat

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 12:35:40 pm »
I've made and shot both and can't tell a difference in performance, as long as the tiller is fitting to the symmetry (or asymmetry as the case may be).  I agree with Pappy, it's a personal thing.  Some people may perhaps shoot better with one or the other because of nuances of shooting style, but I think neither is inherently better than the other.  I've read some of Dean's stuff and some of it is awesome, but he does seem to overcomplicate things at times. That said, I do have great respect for his ability as a bowyer and by no means consider myself an equal, but even a student may question his teacher ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »
I've also just read and re-read his book and found myself nodding in agreement on almost every page. Personally I feel bows with shorter lower limbs are better balanced in the hand however the way this translates to how the bow actually ahoots in terms of accuracy is subjective at best. I am most accurate with elb's with shorter lower limbs maybe there is less going on during and just after release. On the flip side i've just won a field comp here in the UK with ashort osage recurve with equal length limbs....
As with most of these debates I guess it comes down to what suits you best and what is 'right' for one may well be 'wrong' for someone else.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:46:56 pm »
Trust me
Its all in the tillering !!

Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 12:32:28 am »
All of my bows for the last 10 years or so have had equal limbs. Symmetrical limbs are easier for me to see tiller and my bows all ballance very well in my hand.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:17:59 am »
Having built both, I strongly prefer a longer upper limb.  It's not that I'm so great a shot as to notice a marked decrease in arrow porposing, so much as I've noticed a marked change in set after a few thousand arrows.  Longer upper limbs carry nicer, too.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:29:08 am »
I have always just done equal length, but I am certainly no master archer, so not sure if I could tell a difference either way.  Like Pat said, it does help me with tillering too.

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 01:43:34 am »
Equal length seems to work for me.
 Pete
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 09:33:32 am »
I make all of mine equal length, or symetrical, which ever you prefer. They shoot very well. And like Pat said it's easier to see the true tiller. Like you said though, it's a personal prefference
rich

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 09:36:11 am »
The other important thing to think about is the fact that the lower limb needs to be stiffer than the upper.
So how do you go about making it stiffer?
If your limbs are the same length then you either have to make it wider or thicker or a combination of the two. Just make it thicker and leave the width the same = more strain and therefore set. Make it wider and leave the thickness the same = heavier lower limb.
Maybe it is best to just make it shorter and naturally stiffer, with the same width/thickness ratio for equal strain.
When you make a bow with a shorter lower limb they definately balance around the bow hand pressure point better. Bows with equal limbs when held here are always lower heavy. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing but it does mean you need to 'grip' harder meaning accuracy can be affected.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 10:09:41 am »
I have tried both ways, but I find equal length works best and definately easier to tiller, just make the bottom limb slightly stronger... this gives the option to reverse the bow if necesary and make the bottom the top, if the bow goes out of tiller, provided ther is no arow shelf , of course
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 10:15:02 am »
I have tried both ways, but I find equal length works best and definately easier to tiller, just make the bottom limb slightly stronger... this gives the option to reverse the bow if necesary and make the bottom the top, if the bow goes out of tiller, provided ther is no arow shelf , of course

Thats insight and forethought at work!

The other important thing to think about is the fact that the lower limb needs to be stiffer than the upper.
So how do you go about making it stiffer?
If your limbs are the same length then you either have to make it wider or thicker or a combination of the two. Just make it thicker and leave the width the same = more strain and therefore set. Make it wider and leave the thickness the same = heavier lower limb.
Maybe it is best to just make it shorter and naturally stiffer, with the same width/thickness ratio for equal strain.
When you make a bow with a shorter lower limb they definately balance around the bow hand pressure point better. Bows with equal limbs when held here are always lower heavy. I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing but it does mean you need to 'grip' harder meaning accuracy can be affected.

Same here! Take your pic smoke.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 02:07:51 pm »
Done both. Really depends on the piece of wood and what I have to work with. I also tend to make my lower limb a bit stiffer, the reason is I shoot 3 under. There is more stress on the lower limb with three under in my opinion. I prefer a slightly longer upper limb, but with a longer upper limb and a stiff lower limb, the tiller looks a bit off.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.