Author Topic: The Heretic Bow, 50" osage, edge grain stave  (Read 9864 times)

Offline half eye

The Heretic Bow, 50" osage, edge grain stave
« on: April 21, 2012, 03:34:18 pm »
I was gifted some osage a long time ago, this was the last stave....51" with some pretty knarly "wind checks" on both ends, and a very healthy dog leg for about a fourth of the length. It was 1-1/4" square and chased to one ring.

Well I allreadfy got me a couple short osage stave bows and was lookin at this stave, and while wondering if I really wanted to glue up the cracks and make a third one......well the devil jumped right up and bit me. Sawed the stave in half, longwise right down the center of the "back", flipped that baby up on a side and started smoothin her out. I know ya yeller wood lovers is gonna want to skin the old dude but I'm gettin 2 bows from one small stave and this little dude is QUICK for it's draw weight.

Here it is .....50" ntn osage, edge grain, bend through with a set of 6" ears draws 42# @ 26" and just around 46# @ 28. The full draw tiller looks odd, but it shoots so hard I'm not gonna do anymore to the little darlin. The bow is 7/8" wide and just under 3/8" thick....enjoy the pics......my sincerest apologies to all you osage lovers out there.....just couldn't help my bad self.
rich

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: The Heretic Bow, 50" osage, edge grain stave
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 03:56:29 pm »
 Hi Rich...whats right is what works!! and that bow looks like it works fine...and the tiler looks good to me, so well done with what sounds like a difficult stave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline SA

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »
edge grain huh....may have to try that. man you sure get alot of bend out of those short bows . tiller looks fine to me.
Shawn Acker

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »
Heritic?!?!  I missed the part where you added effing-glass.   >:D

Anymore, I am of the opinion that you can do no wrong to a piece of wood, half eye.  Well done, sir.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 04:48:23 pm »
Very nice little bow Rich!

Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:49:09 pm »
thank you gents, No JW I got a close friend promised to head shoot me if I so much as say them words.

sa, it aint bendin half as pretty as your recent bow, thats just a fact

Dragon....shhh turned a stave into a board >:D

thank you John, means a lot
rich

Offline dwardo

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 05:30:22 pm »
That profile just seems to lend its self to a quick bow. Nice  >:D

Offline rps3

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 06:24:43 pm »
You made the most out of what you had, 2 bows from what some might have only gotten one, and a nice looking bow to boot.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 06:53:57 pm »
I really like it.  I think it's cool that you got two bows...  You got skills man.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 07:00:14 pm »
Rich you got every ounce of bend outta that one. Looks perfect-o.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 07:03:17 pm »
Fantastic Sir, I love it. The "ears" make this bow IMO.

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 07:22:09 pm »
Thank you again, fellas
Dwardo, the "ears" are about like a recurve but they are straight for their length and just bent-up some......dont really add any draw weight but the string angle has the advantage of a recurve without the string noise so it does give ya extra speed.

Thanks rps and arrowwind

thanks Pearly, means a bunch

Jon, the ears do help and if ya look at the braced shot I probably could of brought them forward more, and still had the string clear (string lift-off) makes the bow noticably quicker.
rich

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 07:53:46 pm »
Love them flipped-tipped D-tillered bows. another bad boy pushing the limits. Very nice Rich.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 08:56:02 pm »
A man after my own heart. Good job, rich. Lean and mean.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline k-hat

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »
I love it!  Can't believe you got so little set going 3" past the "ideal" draw length for that stave!  Thems some mad tillerin skilz!!  Love those drastic bends, and i'm all for getting the most outta what ya got ;)