Author Topic: Trophy's.  (Read 5519 times)

Offline badcolesonbad

Trophy's.
« on: May 29, 2012, 01:44:30 pm »
Was looking at the articles for the current issue of PA and say a title that has me headed to the news stand so I can read it. It was called "Mans desire to display trophy's". Many of the folks close to me dont hunt, and dont really hold an opinion on the issue, but they do hold a negative opinion of deer heads on the wall and stuff like that. I dont mind it. While I dont mount horns or heads, I do keep my little trophy's, the .280 Rem case from the shot that got my first deer, or the cutters from my first hog, even a piece of tree bark from a hunting trip that turned out to be nothing more then a 3 day drinking binge and card game in the woods with good friends who are long gone now. When I get asked why folks mount deer I will say something like "I dont know". I explain that its done because they want to. Most likely for the same reason I keep my trinkets, and for some well earned bragging right. If you keep mounts, why do you do it ?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Trophy's.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 01:54:00 pm »
I have two mature whitetail heads mounted. Both killed with trad equipment. I have bow hunted as hard as a guy can since I was 16-17 yrs old, Im 40 now. These two deer came by with countless hours, weeks and years of dedication. I still smile weekly when I walk by and see them. It brings me right back to that day it happened. The rest of my smaller antlers have been used for various projetcs and tools. None have been tossed away like garbage. Thats not cool in my own personal ethics book.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 02:06:34 pm »
I have 2 shoulder deer mounts from my teens that my Dad had mounted for me.  They hang in his garage with his deer.  For the past several years I have been making skull mounts out of the bucks that I kill.  Since I do them myself, they are basically free and I think they look better than a standard mount.  Like Pearly said, when I look at them, it brings back memories of the hunt.  They also remind me how far I have come as a hunter.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline badcolesonbad

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:54 pm »
I can relate to this. With my trinkets, its the smell. Never saw eye to eye with my father and his family, but that day, we did. Not to mention getting the deer ! It all comes back with one sniff of the case. Same with the tree bark. The wife still thinks its stupid. She just doesn't understand. Funny thing though, Me and my Son were fishing this weekend. He got a nibble and yanked so hard he jerked his jig all the way to the bank, with the claw that belonged to the biggest blue crab I have ever seen. This morning as I went out for the first smoke I caught a will of rotten fish meat. He set his crab leg on the window sill to dry out. Apparently, he keeps trophy's to.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 03:22:27 pm »
Thats what its ALL about friend.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mississippidave

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 03:49:44 pm »
I keep lots of keepsakes from hunts and time in the woods: bones, skulls, skins, bits of bark, moss, wood, shell....you name it....I love the bits of memories these provide as well as the reminder that all life is precious and it's just a wonder to be part of it all

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »
i keep them 'cause i want to, they mean someting to me, if someone that don't know anything about me dosn't like it they can piss off, i dont care if they have a city league softball trophy on the mantel and i'm shure not gonna judge them for it, what i don't like is someone telling me how i should feel about something based on their uninformed perception's and opinion's, and ya all know what they say about opinion's >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »
Stand back bubbly is fired up! Good attitude though bub. They are your memories, your keepsakes and your "trophies". Nobody can take that away or tell you what they mean to YOU.

Offline badcolesonbad

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 05:45:58 pm »
Stand back bubbly is fired up! Good attitude though bub. They are your memories, your keepsakes and your "trophies". Nobody can take that away or tell you what they mean to YOU.

I have seen lots of that to. Non-hunters I know will say they dont mind hunters, just not trophy hunters. This baffles me though, as I know very few who hunt exclusively to feed the family. I know I dont. As a matter of fact, I dont know a hunter who does not have a deer head, or rack on the wall. Will I have a head on the wall ? Possibly. Im still looking for the perfect one, taken the way I choose.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 05:53:23 pm »
I have a skull cap of an 8 pnt. I shot several years ago.  and a big ole shoulder mount of an angora goat a one time date gave me.  ??? ;)  We have skulls and whatnot around w/ arrows and bows and kachina dolls.  If I were you, I'd get the wifey out in the woods w/ you.  My wife didn't understand hunting until I brought her to a 13 1/2 pound patch of morel mushrooms.  Then she got the fever and has already shown some interest in deer hunting.  I'm looking for a good .410, anyone got one cheap for a good cause?  >:D  Get her out there brother then it will be goodcolesongood!  ;)dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:45:41 pm »
ya know the only rack i have on the wall is in the shop, and it's an elk rack that someone tossed in the trash, just thought it deserved a better ending, i don't trophy hunt cause nothing i kill is trophy sized ::) ;D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline badcolesonbad

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 01:54:48 am »
ya know the only rack i have on the wall is in the shop, and it's an elk rack that someone tossed in the trash, just thought it deserved a better ending, i don't trophy hunt cause nothing i kill is trophy sized ::) ;D, Bub

I got a mounted bobcat out of the trash when I was a kid. That and my rodent skull collection troubled my Ma so she threw it all out when I left for the Navy. :'(

Offline badcolesonbad

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 01:57:46 am »
I have a skull cap of an 8 pnt. I shot several years ago.  and a big ole shoulder mount of an angora goat a one time date gave me.  ??? ;)  We have skulls and whatnot around w/ arrows and bows and kachina dolls.  If I were you, I'd get the wifey out in the woods w/ you.  My wife didn't understand hunting until I brought her to a 13 1/2 pound patch of morel mushrooms.  Then she got the fever and has already shown some interest in deer hunting.  I'm looking for a good .410, anyone got one cheap for a good cause?  >:D  Get her out there brother then it will be goodcolesongood!  ;)dp

Ive had the wife out, but she only does it to make me happy. She went out alone to catch me a fish for dinner as a surprise one tine and brought me a poor little carp.  I ate every bit of it.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 02:14:55 am »
I dont mean to steal the post here but I mounted this one because it was my first buck and because of how unique it is. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:17 am »
Beautiful deer ,I like mounts and save something from about everything I kill, Not trying to be mean or rude but I really and I mean really don't care what anyone thinks,if they don't like it don't come to my house or shop or don't look,and be sure if you do look and don't like it not to say a word, not in my space. ;) :) :) As you can see ,this subject really gets under my skin, anyone that knows me knows how I like keepsakes and that includes the animals I take. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good