Author Topic: Jack Horner -- REDEMPTION! -- Completion pics added!  (Read 16034 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Jack Horner
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »
I love it...

Guess I'm one of "Them" folks...

Many Moons ago, during one successful gun season, I took a nice ten point buck.
My Grandfather was so excited he was litterally vibrating across the ground.
"We have to go show him off in town" he says...
It was about 20F outside and the dear was dressed, so I figured what the heck, I'll let Paw Paw have his fun, so we loaded up and headed to town.
So we're down at a local feed store Paw Paw has all the local hunters and Old Timers gathered around the bed of the truck looking over my Buck.
Paw Paw is telling the story for the tenth time, I'm sipping a cup of coffee and day dreaming about the work ahead, when one nice old gentleman
asked "Son, where did you shoot him?". To which I promptly replied, "In the Neck."...
After a short pause and a quizzical look, the old man grinned at me and said, "No Son, in what part of the country were you standing when you squeezed the trigger?"... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:47 pm »
My redemption!

The tulip shaped brass spout has a plug that seals with a rubber o-ring.  Cheating, sure, but it works, too.

Then the walnut plug at the back got a brass button type tab installed.  It unscrews for refilling the horn. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 11:54:14 pm »
Finished product, sans strap:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:19 pm »
It felt so dang good to finish this project off that I dug around and found the priming horn I had started about 6 months ago.  And I finished that too!

And if that weren't enough, I went and put the final touches on a shooting pouch I was working on!  Here they are posed as a set:

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Jack Horner -- REDEMPTION! -- Completion pics added!
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 01:04:07 am »
Beautiful work man!! That's really impressive!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 01:19:55 am »
WOW Sir!

That's A Beauty!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2012, 01:59:48 am »
Wow?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 02:04:36 am »
Very nice!!!  Hope to see you down here someday so I can see that stuff in person.  Surely your blunderbuss would ventilate a pig??

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 03:40:50 am »
     Whoo Hoo!!! :o  Excellent! 8)
     Thanks for posting the pictures.  Now I can sleep again.
     Now put little Jack Horner back in the corner, and see what else he can come
up with! ;) 
     " Little Jack Horner, sat in the corner of his shop, admiring his finished BP set.
He picked up his jug, and pulled the plug, which gave a pleasing pop. Then his lips he did wet! :P  Proud of himself, for being a clever boy, he knew future BP hunting trips would be a joy.  He ran his hand over the finished set, then again picked up his jug, and pulled the plug, with that pleasing pop, that reverberated throughout the shop, and again his lips he did wet. :P  He would post the pictures, and give helpful hints.   Why, even pious priests O:) would admire them between studying scriptures, and lighting incense.  Ah, and rightly so the PA crowd, was pleased with his creation.  The accolades were loud, and traveled throughout the nation.
So once again Jack's hand picked up the jug, and pulled the plug, with the pleasing pop, but before he could again take some sips, or even wet his lips, his  ex-wife entered the shop! :o :o When the jug she did behold! :o  Well thought Jack she is back to scowl, and howl, and scold, and nag and gloat!   Jacks eyes cleared for a moment, to see,it wasn't anything foul, or a demon with a cowl, but it "was" bold, and chewing a polishing rag.  Jack let out a happy sigh, and held the jug up high, and winked, and gave a toast to the neighbors goat!   

Thanks for the build along, and the helpful hints.  Now when I get back to Fla. I will have to dig out my horns, that are in various stages, of finish, and then I can finish my designs, now that I know how to do them.  Thanks again for a great build along, and the pictures of a very nice BP set.  Now slip back out the shop, and give that plug a pop! ;) ;D ;D

Wayne
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:05:08 am by stickbender »

Offline cracker

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 09:23:49 am »
Gorgeous pieces JW that ought to go into a museum somewhere. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 09:28:36 am »
Beautifull, John! Like cracker said, they should be in a museum.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Stringman

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 02:11:15 pm »
Way to come through, jdub! I've only worked a horn one time, and that was years ago! I love the beauty and finish of your pieces. Curious, though, how will the strap look on the lower (bigger) end??

Scott

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 03:25:55 pm »
Very, Very, NICE!! 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2012, 10:08:09 pm »
Curious, though, how will the strap look on the lower (bigger) end??

Scott

Easy-peasy, Scott-o!  Just cut a slot in the end of the leather strap and it slips thru like a button. The finish work is simply 400 grit sandpaper very lightly run over the horn in the direction of the grain followed by beeswax and a heat gun.  Work it in good and hot with a bit of muslin and keep polishing until the rag doesn't drag across the horn.  Same for the finish on the walnut.  The leather on the bag has also had plenty of hot beeswax worked into the grain in hopes of the bag being quite weatherproof. Just never know what kinda climate they might see.    >:D

Stickbender, there ain't no Mrs and ain't been one for nigh on a decade.  Something about the coffee being strong enough to eat out of the cup with a fork.

Mr. Stoneberg, if I can get into range, I can ventilate a piggie.  In fact, I would love the chance to put a .62 cal solid lead roundball between a piggies eyes to see if it would knock 'em silly or if it would ricochet off!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 11:02:49 am »
It would knock it silly. >:D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?