Author Topic: Jack Horner -- REDEMPTION! -- Completion pics added!  (Read 16032 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Jack Horner -- REDEMPTION! -- Completion pics added!
« on: August 30, 2012, 06:00:14 pm »
Little Jack Horner
Sat in his corner
Tired of working on wood.

Grabbed a chunk of horn
As sure as you're born
Made something almost as good.

Measure circumference and divide by 8.  Measure and mark.  Draw lines to determine boundaries where you will remove material.

Have already thinned the horn behind the area that will become the octagon.

Dremel with sanding drum removes material quickly, but you need to have a steady hand to keep from dipping too deep.  Do every other panel in the octagon, flattening between the lines. 

Roughed in and ready to go after it with a scraper.  A sharp knife blade works well, but I found out that the card scrapers that cabinet makers use are a significant improvement.  The original "horners" used scrapers for most of their material removal once they were past using the rasps and files. 

I think the tip is still too wide and too short, so I am planning on adding on material to extend it out further.  To contrast with the black of the horn I would love to do the tip with ivory, but there are no season for elephants in South Dakota.  I might have to look for some elk antler tip material to finish that part of the job. 

I'm thinking walnut to plug the fat end.  I like working with walnut even if the dust really makes me sneeze. 

« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:37:27 am by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline swamp monkey

Re: Jack Horner
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 07:58:29 pm »
fun and even educational.  That scraper trick was new to me!  THX

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 08:41:10 pm »
Looking Very Nice Sir!!!

Have you considered Mammoth Ivory?
I know they had The Big Hairys up that a way...

Or maybe you could get your hands on some Walrus Oosik...   >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 09:33:27 pm »
That's nice, can't wait to see it finished. Gotta dial my Flinter in. I'm going to have to start writing down my loads for each gun. I forget each year.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline spyder1958

• Retire Air Force, love all outdoors, 7 grandkids
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:21:48 am »
Looking good there johnboy. So this is the one Eddie was telling me about? Hurry up man, Oh yea, everything in slow Mo in the greatplains of SD, I forgot for a min.  >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:18:25 pm »
Yeah, real slo-mo now.  I broke off the drill bit while putting in the pilot hole for the tip.  I used a fine tip on the dremel tool to excavate around it but still could not back out the bit.  I ended up sawing off most of the tip and boring it out just under half an inch. 

Now I have to figure out what I am going to do for a new tip on the end.  I'd love to do a Carolina style lathe turned tip, but I'm not set up for doing that.  Thinking of taking leather disks saturated with ultra thin superglue and making a stacked tip!  Will have to do some experimenting.

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:25:50 pm »
Yea boy that is going to be nice,got to see it when it is done.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 03:34:22 pm »
Here's where I left off. 

I had just fitted quarter inch thick pine plug into the wide end of the horn.  Once installed, I hogged out the center.

I cut a matching slab of walnut and sanded it perfectly flat.  Here I am test-fitting.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 03:44:37 pm »
The walnut cap also gets hollowed out to match where I cut out the center of the plug fitted into the horn.  I do this to add storage capacity to the powderhorn.  The ring now installed inside the horn provides surface area to epoxy the walnut cap onto the horn. 

I used to do one piece caps, but it was really tedious getting perfect fits and avoiding any gaps. 

Ok, now for the photos of the screwed up tip.  Here you see the broken off drill bit where I was putting in the pilot hole.

Here's the tip after sawing it off:

The plan is to deepen the groove that seperates the octagon section from the disc at the end of the tip of the horn.  I am going to shape the disc to round the edges off to create a "ring".  Then I will drill out the end to about half an inch, until it is bored out into the main cavity of the powderhorn.  I intend to find a piece of white horn or something else to use to elongate the tip of the horn.  It will then be tapered and shaped to finish out the horn.  As it is, right now the horn is too wide to be useful for pouring powder into a measure or muzzle. 

I kicked around the idea of using stacked leather soaked in superglue, but I think that's going to look just plain ugly as sin. 

Are there any wood turners that have access to artificial bone/ivory?  I know people that turn pen blanks use something like this.  Anyone?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:59:10 pm »
Cool post
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »
Im guessing deer horn would be too porous?!?

Scott

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 11:42:09 pm »
Yup, deer horn was considered and I went thru my stash of racks, horns, tips,  beams, tines, etc and didn't find anything that had too much porous core material.  I then went into the vault for my special stuff and went thru the elk tines I had been saving and they are too porous also. 

I'm too bummed at how I screwed it up to even search online for material to finish the job, so it goes in the box of "ghost projects" and gets put on a high shelf on the wall of shame for now.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 01:29:58 am »

Little Jack Horner sat in a corner, eating his Christmas pie, when he stuck in his thumb, and pulled out a made in china sticker....... :P ::)

Ok,ok,ok, back to the problem at hand.  Multiple solutions...... go on line, and look up knife making materials, and go to the handles, and you can find all kinds, or bone, artificial ivory, various types of exotic woods, laminates, etc.  You can get slabs, blocks, and rounds.  Also packa wood comes in rounds, and slabs.  It is basically laminated wood.  As for lamination's, What about laminating slabs of bone, and turning, or filing it to the shape you want?  Also for your plug piece, Dixie Arms sells plugs, and finials for tying your thong, or strap to, The leather string thong, and leather or cloth shoulder strap!  Just thought I would clarify that, before you put the wrong material on your....."Horn" ::) :P  also, they have the ones that screw into the plug, with an escutcheon ring, which makes it easier to fill your horn.  There is a little depression where the finial sits.  They come in brass, and wood.  Also, you can use the bone, for decorations, on your plug, by cutting out, little wedge shapes, and inlaying them around the edge of the horn, or any shape you want.  Check out craft sites, especially carving sites, and look for Taugua nuts, or ivory nuts.  They were once used for buttons, and are very white, and will yellow like ivory with age.  I have a little mouse netske' I carved years ago, and it is now yellow like older ivory.  They vary in size.  Just do a search, and you can find the material.  Cool off a couple of days, and then get back to it.  Never thought about dividing the circumference by "8" to get the flats.  D'uh!  Like I have said before math ain't on the good side of my brain.  Whatever side that may be... ::)
     As for scraping, when I was a kid, some friends of mine and I would go down to the butcher shop, and watch them butcher the cows, and get the horns, and bury them in ant piles, and then shake out the bone core, and pour boiling water down the horns, to sterilize them, and then we would start scraping and filing them.  When we got all the scale off, and down to nice horn, we would soak the horn in water, and use a piece of broken glass jar, or something of that order, and the scraping went like a charm.  We were able to get them down to where you could see through them, and then we would cut off the tips, and drill out the end, and bevel the holes, and make signaling horns out of them.  Then we would get bored, with that,  and go see how far we could dig a tunnel in the side of a canal bank before it caved in on us, and take turns digging each other out. ::)  If we stayed too close to the house, we would have to mow the lawn, or some other form of dangerous work.  :P
But I hope that will help you out some.  Hey, if you get some time off, and feel like driving for two days, come on up to Thompson Falls, and we can work on that horn, or a bottle of Crown Royal Black, or some Cruzan rum, or just about any other stuff I have in my cabinets.  Or, I can show you the Merriams we have around here.  They are usually in huge flocks.  But the stinking coyotes, and wolves, have thinned them out some, but still lots of them.  I have them in my yard now and then.  Trying to get them to be more now than then...... ;) :D ::)  Seen where they have been scratching the left over deer feed, uh, I mean free range cattle feed...... ::)  found two small wing feathers.  Good luck with the horn.

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 06:23:39 pm »

Never thought about dividing the circumference by "8" to get the flats.  D'uh!  Like I have said before math ain't on the good side of my brain.  Whatever side that may be... ::)

There are just three types of people in this world...those that are good at math and those that ain't!

Someone once asked me what side of my brain did most of my thinking.  I had to figger on that one a while, but pretty soon it came to me.  The inside.

And meanwhile, I was futzing around on the Track of the Wolf website looking for fixings to go with my new flintlock 29 ga and I happened to scroll thru the list of things too late to be added to their printed catalog.  Lo and behold, the answer to my problem for just $7.95!  It's already installed and I am liking it more and more. 

Will post pics once the horn is finished.  Could even be later today if all goes well.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 10:56:53 pm »

Little Jack Horner, sat in a corner, and got a square a--!
Sorry. :P 
     Yeah, I'm one of those three people.  ::)  Well glad you found the solution to your
problem.  So ..... uh...... What do it be?  You found a spout, for it?...... a dooma hicky, thinga ma bob?  Well ..... what is it?  aww c'mon!  Show the $#@!! picture of it!  ... uh please, & Thank you, etc.

Wayne