Author Topic: Jack Horner -- REDEMPTION! -- Completion pics added!  (Read 16033 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Re: Jack Horner -- REDEMPTION! -- Completion pics added!
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2012, 02:37:37 pm »
Man that is some fine professional quality work there.  FINE!
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »

Ooooh, sorry. :-[ Ok, I will have to go back and revise that little ditty. ;)
I am with Eddie, it should either, knock it silly, or turn it inside out! :o :P

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 12:12:06 am »
Mmmm, smoothbore smoked pork! 

Just got a load of the necessities for shooting the .62 this last week.  Gonna have to get out soon to take it's first ever shots.  Built around 1984 and never been shot, poor thing.  But I do have a Black Hills Fall Turkey tag and no shortage of birds in the area.  She'll get broke in right. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2012, 12:32:09 am »
     Ok, the ditty, has been revised, to correctly reflect current marital status
of Jack. ;)  So to speak.....  Man, that coffee, sounds like mine.  I am having a nice cup, right now.  I have a coffee maker, that you just push the cup up against the machine, and it fills the cup, and if you want one, or two, or more, you just put that much water in.  Well it has a plastic heating reservoir, and it tastes like burnt plastic!  I wish I could find one of the old stainless steel, percolators! I tried putting a coffee filter, in a wire mesh strainer, but it took for ever to drain through, and the coffee was luke warm by the time the cup was filled.  So now I grind the Dunkin D roasted beans, and put what I need in a pot, and pour boiling water over it, let sit, a minute or two, and take, my espresso, filter, and pour the coffee, through that, and into the cup. ;)  I still get a few grinds, but it reminds me of the hunting camp in the Big Cypress swamp, and the coffee my Dad made with the sulphur water from the well he put in.  It was strong, and somewhat chewy, as the coffee got lower in the cup. ;) But it was still good, especially after a long day of riding a half track in the saw grass, or wading in the sloughs, and cypress heads.
Again that is a beautifully made set, to be proud of.  Thanks again for the build along, and tips for building them.  Just another item to put into the Gemini pile of things to start, and restart,........
                                                   Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:05 am »
Mmmm, smoothbore smoked pork! 

Wish you'd have been with me last night. We'd have come home with a lot more pork.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »
Guy's, I got to find out first hand what an artist JW is. I came home this afternoon and found a box I used to own sitting on the table.

I opened it up and couldn't believe how nice these two horns are. And I was beside myself whe I found that great looking leather bag in the box, also.

After I got through fondling everything and adjusted the straps to fit, I had to move all of my Flinchlock dodads into their new home. Then I found the red, hand stiched, little, bag inside that had a flint wallet made from some soft deer leather. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thanks, John, you are truly a Horn Master.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »
Mullet and I made a deal a long while back, he sent me a box of horns and I was to send him back a finished powderhorn.  It took me plenty long.  In fact, it was so long I was having nightmares of my name being written in blood in Mullet's little black book.  I would wake in the middle of the night sweating .50 caliber lead balls. 

Finally, I got the horn done, right about the same time that the shooting pouch and the priming horn was finished.  I figured since Eddie is always doing such nice things for other people, I wanted to return the favor to him. 

Enjoy the living daylights outa the set, Eddie!  I figured the box the horns came in would work to go right back to ya.  My Scotch great-grandmother would approve of my frugality, too!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 10:20:53 pm »
That box is gonna get wore out, it'll be coming back to ya. ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:50 pm »
LOL!

Stringman

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 11:34:57 pm »
Thats cool! Great end of the story!

Scott

Offline stickbender

« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 03:28:03 am »

Dang!!! Sweating fifty caliber lead balls! :o  You better get your well checked! :P
     Like I have said many times before, Eddie is one lucky man!  That must be one heck of a lucky star he has.  My lucky star turned out to be a UFO!  Sheesh!  And after all that work, to not be able to initiate them in turkey warfare!  Well, I am sure that Eddie will show them the woods, and the Critters that they are to supply the powder, and mojo for, to put them in the freezer! ;)  So...... uh, J.W. if I were to send you a box of green mountain barrels, ....... a long box, ....... uh...... would that box come back to me with a couple of flint lock rifles in it? ::)   You know, just .......you know, just sort of curious, and all......  ;)
     You are a "LUCKY" man Mr. Mullet! 8)  Good show J.W., Eddie has helped a lot of people, and given a lot of stuff away, including to me!

Wayne 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 03:56:17 pm »
Last rifle kit I bought is mostly assembled, and has been in that state for 6 years.  I still need to install the ramrod pipes, do the finish carving, sand/scrape it out, and lay on the stain and finish.  But other than that I have taken at least 7 deer with it!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2012, 12:46:54 am »

Hmmmmm, perhaps I should just send you a box of bleached dollar bills........ ::)

Offline robby

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:12 am »
JW, That is a really nice set up. Great job on the matching horns. Plain or fancy, horn work can be most satisfying! I like to use part of the same horn for the plug though.

Robby

Offline robby

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2012, 12:51:58 pm »
JW, Keep an eighteenth century mind set and let your imagination be your guide! Keep up the good work.

Robby