Author Topic: Black locust bow  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Badly Bent

Black locust bow
« on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:20 pm »
Here is a black locust bow I just finished. Not real pleased with this one, came in underweight and not sure about tiller. My last three bow builds came in underweight while I juggled limb balance and possibly went to far at floor tiller stage. This one also developed a hinge and
also lifted a splinter on the other limb in the same area. Wrapped the offending areas in raw hide, finished her up and called her done.
She wore me down and I had to move on! Anyway when I know that she's safe to shoot I'll give her to a kid that can handle the draw weight.I know a couple teenagers who would be happy to take her off my hands so she'll find a home eventually.

58" ntn  -  40# @ 24"
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
Re: Black locust bow
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »
Looks good to me!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 10:40:55 pm »
Glad to hear Im not the only one that that kinda stuff happens to. Sometimes you get a stave that just doesnt wanna cooperate. Looks like you finished her off pretty good.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 10:57:37 pm »
I know it's been said before, but your bows are recognizable as your bows.  Neat, sharp and clean as always.  Very nice bend.  Right there with you on problem staves.  Earlier today I cut the tips off a 66 inch Bois d'ark bow I am making for my friends boy.  66 was too long for him to start with, but the stave had so many problems, I left it long to hedge my bet.  63 inches now but I think I got 'er wooped!  I think???
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »
Yeah looks good to me......
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:52 am »
Very nice locust bow. I'd bet you could squeeze another inch or two out of her.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 12:39:17 am »
Nice work, despite the challenges.  Love those pin nocks!  Some local kid is going to be happy!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 04:57:47 am »
Very elegant as always! And nothing looks better on a bow than a matching arrow. Never mind the weight, it seems little only cause you had more in mind, but I'm sure yu find someone whom it fits.
Nice work.
Don't shoot!

Offline JonW

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 05:03:20 am »
Don't be too hard on yourself Greg. That is a nice looking bow! I'm with Pat, there are an easy two more inches of draw in that bow.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 05:12:26 am »
Nothing wrong there...i hope that my misfortune looks that good ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 09:51:12 am »
B2,  that's the artist in ya, dont look like ya wanted so there-fore no-good......that bow has a fine bend to it and will probably shoot forever. Like a lot of us, allways dissapointed if they dont match the mental picture ya had, that dont make 'em bad 8)
rich

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 12:41:02 pm »
Very cool stuff. great looking bend
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 06:52:01 pm »
That is a great piece of tillering and I'll tell you why. The limbs are bending evenly in a nearly perfect arc. The handle probably gives a little which helps the bow survive.  Also, if you look at the handle area on each limb note that the limbs enter the handle at different elevation points. That makes for a difficult tiller. Go with your gut. 24" is good for a 58" BL bow. You might get 25" but that's pushing it IMHO. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »
What's the brace height. Seems high. I brace them at 7-7.35 in. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »
Thanks for all the nice comments guys. I'm OK with the bow just not something I would shoot myself and honestly I really don't need
another for me anyway, have to many already. I like to make hunting bows but it is also nice to give them to youngsters too.

George, good eye..... those limbs do come out of the handle at different angles and I knew it from the start but wasn't sure how to
tiller it. Also I decided to stop at 24" draw because she lifted the splinter when I pulled it to 25". I had a thick handle at that point so
I thinned it to get her bending there to relieve some stress on the limbs. And your dead on because at that point my gut did tell me
leave her as is because I wasn't gonna get more weight out of her so why push it. Brace height in photo only 5 1/2" though.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.