Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 83528 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #195 on: December 03, 2007, 12:27:28 pm »
Way to go Greg! That wouldn't be a small doe around here - plenty of hide/ sinew, and good eats - they sure eat a lot better than those smelly bucks :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #196 on: December 04, 2007, 08:29:10 am »

Thanks Cowboy, it's a decent size doe here as well. The other was just really big... ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2007, 08:03:10 am »
I had planed on going out this evening,the wind is supposed to be from the N  N/W witch
is prefect for my ground blind behind the house but I found out I have to stay late at work
today for a sexual harassment and sensitively training.All have to do it once a year and I thought
it was just me. ;D I am a very sensitive guy. ;) :) O Well so much for political correctness.I will
be glad when I can retire to the farm so none of this stuff will matter. :)I can say what I want,
do what I want and no one to answer to but the good Lord and of course Joanie. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2007, 12:47:12 am »
congrads Greg..... ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2007, 08:09:50 am »
Thanks Ryan...looking forward to hunting with you some time if you make it down to Pappy's. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2007, 10:51:53 am »
I'll be heading down to my club in GA for the last time this year :'(. This will be a meat hunt so chemical propulsion devices will be used. I will have my bow and the buffalo nut arrows that Chris Cade made me so if I get one early I'll hunt with them.    The Western NC season ends tomorrow just as rut activity starts around here. >:( Oh well.     I'll have a report Sunday evening.  Ya'll have a great weekend.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: December 07, 2007, 12:11:43 pm »
Well I guess I got skunked this year.  I was hunting cow elk not deer.  I saw plenty of huge bulls, but no cows.  I was headed out today and tomarrow for the end of the hunt but we got hit by a huge winter storm.  The canyon I go up was flooded out and the road washed away and the entire area has flash flood warnings/alerts.  The snow and mud was almost impassible before, but with all this and expecting another 2-3 feet of snow today and Saturday, so I think Ill stay home this time.  I don't really want to get stranded 30 miles from the nearest plowed road with temps expected to be in the teens.  Call me a sissy if you like, but I don't like the cold that much.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #202 on: December 07, 2007, 12:27:44 pm »
Not sissy Justin...wussy as bob would say ;)

I don't blame ya at all, I also cancelled out the weekend hunt to fill my last doe tag.

Hey now ya have time to work on my Christmas present ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline cowboy

« Reply #203 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:14 pm »
I don't blame ya Justin - I've only read stories about people being lost out there in that kind of stuff, it's life or death usually - mostly death. But my being from down south has prolly got something to do with it, I'm really a wus in tha cold - brrrrrrrrrr.......
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:37 am »
Didn't do any good this weekend ,but didn't hunt much,worked on bows mostly.I have had a big old doe blow me out several time along with some others that hunt the bottoms so Sat evening I let Case a 7 year old friend of mine hunt down there with his Muzzleloader and she won't blow me out ant more and he also enjoys the meat.Way to go Case. :)
   Pappy

[attachment deleted by admin]
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

« Reply #205 on: December 10, 2007, 12:34:42 pm »
Way to go Case! Lot's of meat on that one by the looks of her...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: December 11, 2007, 12:45:57 am »
 Well, my season is probably over for 2007 without a kill.  :'( I only saw one deer this weekend and it was Sunday morning. I was in a ladder stand on the edge of one of our food plots and had "Flossy" the decoy out. A nub buck came out with the sun and when he saw Flossy he bowed up. ;D He would put his head down to eat a little but raise it quickly, always looking at Flossy. He moved along the edge of the food plot , eating as he went but he kept looking at her. When he got to where he was looking end on at the decoy she disappeared to him and he relaxed and eat comfortably until he walked out of site.  It was very interesting and humorous to see his reactions to Flossy the 2d decoy.
  Another unsuccessful season for me. :( I only saw 2 deer while on stand this year. Opening weekend I had a doe fawn walk out and present me with 5 or 6 shot opportunities but she was too small and quite scrawny. For my last sit I was entertained by the button buck yesterday. I invited a friend to hunt with us this past weekend and he took a nice 90# doe. Eric gave me a backstrap so I have some meat.
THAT'S HUNTIN'!!!      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #207 on: December 11, 2007, 07:06:02 am »
You are right Pat that is why they call it hunting not killing.We still have about a month
left in our season but it really gets tough this time of year,no cover and the deer have been hunted hard all around my place,but I still have high hopes of maybe one more shot.We are
going to L.B.L.the week after Christmas where I meet Gary Davis and several guys from N.Y.
to hunt and camp for a week.It is tough hunting but the fellowship is great and that is
what matters to me most of all. :) Pat you should try and make it down to Tn. next year before they get all stirred up and hunt with us for a few days.I would love to have you. :)Good luck
to all.Shoot straight. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

« Reply #208 on: December 11, 2007, 10:26:23 am »
Sorry to hear that Pat :'(. We'll still have about two weeks to hunt when I go home for Christmas. Am going to continue to hunt with my gear till the end - hopefully will stick something.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2007, 05:47:40 am »
I plan on going this evening to try and get in at least one hunt ,the weekend don't look to good. [RAIN] so we will see.I guess if it rains I will be forced to work on some bows. :) I went out yesterday and didn't see a thing but that is the way it goes around here you either see a bunch
or nothing.May I can get into them once more this year.The 2nd. rut should be kicking in about
now so I have high hopes.Good luck to all.Let you know Monday how it turns out. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good