Author Topic: Deer hunting update.  (Read 83520 times)

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
Re: Deer hunting update.
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2007, 08:36:33 am »

Just got home last night from a four day business trip...saw lots of dead deer along the interstate and a few live ones. Hope to hunt some this weekend weather permitting. Finished my hornbeam bow before I left, but havn't had a chance to shoot it much yet. May try and hunt with it some over Christmas vacation. :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Glenn R.

« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2007, 12:06:58 am »
Was gonna post pics and a pretty good story---BUT--all three deer I've killed this season were with my 4-lam osage longbow---didn't want to offend anyone here by  posting a bow I didn't make myself----one of my friends made it for me. Thought I'd be up front-------if you want to see them I'll post them later.     Glenn.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2007, 12:21:05 am »
post away! We dont care who made the bow.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2007, 05:45:47 am »
What Ryan said.Good to hear from you again Ryan,though you were snowed in. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2007, 12:43:52 pm »

Keith took a young buck last evening...I hunted behind my house and didn't see any. Sunday evening a saw one small buck about 80 yards away while hunting behind my house. I think he spoted me, even though the only movement I could have made was rotating my head. I was down wind of him...
Greg

Glenn R.

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2007, 01:03:21 pm »
Hey guys, i TRIED to post but my pics are too large--gotta go-----will rescan this afternoon/evening and post again :)

Glenn R.

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2007, 06:59:44 pm »
Ok, here we go. Oct.29th I killed this nice fat 6 pointer from one of my favorite ladder stands in a honeysuckle thicket. The shot was 21 feet and the deer didn't travel far. Nov. 2nd I took this doe from the same stand only quartering away and at 18 feet, short recovery again. You cant see the bow very well, its a 4-lam osage longbow made by my friend Chuck Jones in Vandalia. He used to make these custom bows as a hobby until recently--couple years ago he bought and operates 'Black Rhino' specilaizing in youth, womens bows up to 40#.  My bow is 59#@28" and I had him build me one 75#@29"

I also included one of my stands I've killed several deer from--I love hunting with osage bows, love hunting osage thickets, but especially like osage tree stands----check out the hedge tree that my stand is in.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Glenn R.

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2007, 07:02:49 pm »
Hedge stand and the whole hillside across from me is hedges.

Glenn R.

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2007, 07:19:33 pm »
Nov. 12th I grabbed the rattling horns and went stillhunting---was slowly sneaking through this old hedge fence line (behind me) that seperates pasture from corn field. Got closer to a another pocket of timber and rattled aggressively. layed my horns down and grabbed my bow. Here comes this 8 pointer running down through the hedges towards me. I lean in tight against one of the trunks and when his head goes behind a tree I raise my bow and hit full draw. He comes running out from the other side though not quite as fast and I 'm focusing on his shoulder---he's looking my way--all of a sudden I see my arrow bury into the shoulder right where I'm looking. He breaks to the right, runs into the corn field 50 yards and turnd aroung----going what happened? His legs buckle and down he goes. I can't believe it, who was that guy that shot that deer---It was wierd like I watched the whole thing from farther back. I look at where my buck was standing--I take 5 regular steps--he was closer than 15 feet. This is the first deer I've taken from the ground--I know he isn't huge but I'm absolutely tickled with this hunt.ONLY allowed 2 bucks in Illinois so I'm gonna finish out the season with my selfbow (Jan.17)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »
Jeeze Glenn, you've had quite a year!! Nice deer, and stories ta boot :) the adrenaline musta been pumpin. Where do you live? Give me the coordinates - I like youre tree stand >:D ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2007, 10:25:15 pm »

Nice story and congrats on your successful season! I think I see several potential bows in that butt log of the osage to the left of your stand. ;)
Greg

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2007, 11:00:02 pm »
Well done!!! I would have a hard time concentrating on deer hunting from your stands though, I'd be siting there wondering which tree I was gonna make a bow from next instead of keeping my eyes peeled for deer.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #222 on: December 19, 2007, 06:31:39 am »
Thanks for sharing Glenn, great hunts. But I don't know if I would rather have my bow or a chainsaw
with all that osage ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #223 on: December 19, 2007, 10:19:53 am »
Nice deer Glenn. I've been a snow plowing machine Pappy!
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #224 on: December 19, 2007, 11:26:47 am »
Looks like you've had a good season, Glenn.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.