Author Topic: bitten badly by the bow-bug  (Read 4015 times)

Offline WoodMunkey157

bitten badly by the bow-bug
« on: December 02, 2012, 01:57:49 am »
I finished this bow up a couple months ago, it is my third attempt, and all have been Black Walnut. My second bow blew up but luckily I learned exactly what I needed to make this one a success! Here is the rundown:

Black Walnut-65" tip to tip
the lower limb is about 1.5" shorter than the top limb. limbs are 2" wide from the fades to the last six inches where it tapers to 5/8ths of an inch
pulls around 55# @ 29"
4" handle with hemp wrap
took about 3"-4" set ( I need to lessen the long string tillering, I took this one almost full draw on the long string and I attribute some of the set to that. I also braced this bow much to high about 9" before I realized what I was doing. The Black walnut is very apt to taking set but i think my errors were a main source of this string follow)

The bow shoots these bamboos arrows to my liking, pretty quickly and quite accurately. The arrows are garden stake bamboo, 29" long. 3 stone tips I bought at an estate sale (2 with osage foreshafts) and 3 target points ( 1 osage blunt). The wine and navy blue colored turkey feathers were given to me by a friend which I dyed w/ Rit dye from walmart. Simulated sinew and super glue used in the fletching.

The quiver is made out've the bark of the same black walnut tree that the bow came from, my friend and I cut it and he is now making an awesome boy from it too. The bark naturally dried in a tube shape, I only needed to seal it up and put a hard wood bottom on it.

I also have been playing around with pyrography, or the art of burning wood. Its just an outlet heated pen which scorches the wood and you can make different designs and things with it. The pen cost 15$ at walmart and is pretty easy to use. It adds some cool pics to your stick, just be careful not to burn too deeply. I think it could hurt the integrity of the wood if you do so.

A few of my friends are now building along with me. So thanks to all who contribute to the site, my friends and I thank you for all your help and guidance! I love PA!

Offline WoodMunkey157

Re: bitten badly by the bow-bug
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 02:02:38 am »
Here are the pics...

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 02:12:13 am »
A few more...even robin-hooded myself

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 02:31:10 am »
WOW! amazing stuff you got! nice job on that bow and nice pics of all of your awesome primitive gear!
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:30 am »
Welcome to the addiction!  The bow-bugs (Toxophilus arcus) venom will grow stronger with time.  It has profound affects on the nervous system, seeming to control ones every thoughts and actions.  It causes extreme restlessness in the absence of a wooden stave in hand.  Like most of us, you just learn to live with it.

Great Bow.  Looks like the first couple taught you what you needed to know.  That black walnut sure is pretty, ow and i love the squirrel.  8)  Is that wood burning?  And was that on the bow that blew up? :'(
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline steve b.

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 02:40:58 am »
Good for you; everything looks great.  Hacking a bow out in the living room?  So, no women in your life?

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 02:59:13 am »
nice job, but on the next one try a less steep fade and get the limbs bending mid and out, alot of the set is probablly because the inner limb is doing most of the work, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:22:03 am »
oh, by the way, once you catch the bug you wont be able to get rid of it  ;D >:D ::) 8)

Also, its contagious over the internet, air, talking about bows, smelling great wood smell, feeling glossy wood, shooting bows, thinking about bows, looking at bow pics, ect ect ect... so many ways of catching...  :P Welcome to the sickness  ;D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:25:52 am by ionicmuffin »
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:11:09 am »
Good for you; everything looks great.  Hacking a bow out in the living room?  So, no women in your life?

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I got the evil eye when I was just doing a handle wrap in the living room today!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:54:11 am »
Nice bow. Congrats! I like the quiver, too!! Welcome to the world of bowmaking!! ???
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 10:05:58 am »
Beautiful bow, arrows and quiver. The set could be because the stave is a bit green. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 11:08:58 am »
Yeah I can tell you got the bug big time ;). Starting off making not just your own bow but arrows and quiver also is a sign that all hope of any future interest in anything other than making archery gear and primitive items is lost. ;D Welcome and I looking forward to seeing what's next from you. Also that woodburned squirrel is very well done.
Greg
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline WoodMunkey157

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 12:06:15 pm »
Thanks guys! No one seems to understand the addiction or appreciate it on the same level as people in this community. When I try to share my passion for this stuff it is often wasted on other people(family, friends, girlfriend,etc.) So the feedback really is appreciated!

bub- I see what you mean. the bend is intense right outve the fades. thank you for the tip

steve b- haha, I have a woman in my life. she wasn't pleased at all but notice the blanket catching most of the chips. I explained how we would, but didn't want to be out in the 30 degree weather working ;D

CMB- Yea, the squirrel was done with the wood burning pen. And that is on the back of my first bow which shot but had so terrible kinks and hinges so its retired. I am just practicing with th pyro-pen on that peice trying to get really good with it.

thanks again for all your other comments! I really am hooked on this. It is my waking thought and what i think about right before I bed down haha

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 06:53:41 pm »
If you can convince your girlfriend to stick around after this , you better get a ring ! Not many out there that have the patience of a bowyers wife!

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 07:09:19 pm »
Looks awesome! That dark heartwood in the handle looks sweet. It's quite common to get the limbs bending too much near the fades or near the tips. Nice robin hood!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.