Author Topic: student arrested for pointint finger  (Read 2749 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: student arrested for pointint finger
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
Once upon a time pointing a finger and making "bang bang" noises meant you were playing cowboys and Indians.  Nowadays that is an unspoken threat gangs use to tell someone they are going to get shot.  These gang initiates are unable to make full gang status until they DO shoot someone.  And these initiates are getting younger and younger, some gangs initiating first, second, and third graders.  Gangs are "cool" these days even in affluent suburban mostly white neighborhoods, how do they know this kid wasn't making a threat?

Once upon a time I would have thought this was B.S., too.  Not so much anymore.  This is not the world most of us grew up in.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:18:49 pm »
I agree JW just yesterday a guy walked into a church & shot a lady then drove up & down shooting 2 other people then when the police showed up he shot one of  them in the chest & wrist things are not the way it was when I grew up wondering what my kids are in for one will be 10 end of Jan. the other is 3 kind of worries me.
Rob

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
in my day,a good old fist fight solved the problem.even then that wasn't cool.what has this world come to.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:40:18 pm »
in my day,a good old fist fight solved the problem.even then that wasn't cool.what has this world come to.

I long for that world, seabass.  We all carried pocket knives and NOBODY ever thought of pulling one out in a fight.  Knock a guy down and you asked him if he wanted to get back up, there were rules.  They were unspoken, but there were rules. 

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 12:14:22 am »
As a teacher I see that students actions as VERY disturbing especially given what just happened. JW is right. Mimicking a gun and gun shots is not a joke, but a threat with malicious intent forshadowing what "could" happen.. IMO.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:13 am »
It all falls down back to respect I beleive. In my opinion we are not teaching our kids respect. its respect for the elderly, respect for nature, and even respect for an enemy. I see alot of young children not respecting their parents, mostly because their parents are either to scared, or they just aint there to say anything because theyre working. One day i was working and this lady comes in to the coffee shop where i work. She was a korean lady who had just gotten back from mexico and she said that she loved it. She said it was stressful to live here in the US becuase you have to pay for everything. Seems like the love for money has taken from the love for family, now if you dont get an expensive gift for someone you dont love them. At least thats what it seems like. A few years ago i cam to realize that many companies dont give a rats ass about holidays that you are suppose to spend with family. These holidays make nice memories for children, happy children turn out to be productive members of society, once you get them hyped up on worthless ideals and money surpasses the love for family thats when it goes south. As a business owner I love money, but I dont think I would give up time from my family for the money. I see that alot of people dont really think the same way. Any way I got of subject, but the point is that we need to teach kids to be respectful and honorable maybe that will help our society somewhat.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:16:33 am »
Lack of parent involvement in kids' lives is the biggest problem IMO, for many of the reasons listed above. Any threat in our middle school is promptly addressed. The use of the word "kill" in a threat towards someone is an automatic three day vacation. Most of the problems I deal with stem from social media sites and texting OUTSIDE of school hours and off campus.

I hope the parents of the kid used some old school punishment so he remembers what they did wrong in the future. I know I still remember thanks to a few whacks from the paddle ;)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 11:18:01 am »
I teach welding in Indianapolis and one of my kids got expelled a few weeks ago for having a gun in school.  He said that he had it because his cousin was going to get jumped after school.  I'm glad he got caught with it before the end of school.  When I was a teen in the '80's, we all carried guns to school in our trucks. I never kept mine in the gun rack for fear of theft, but always had one behind the seat during hunting season.  We had a wood shop teacher that would sell guns in the school parking lot out of the trunk of his car.  :o  No joke. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 01:31:43 pm »
And a friend of mine built a .22 single shot pistol in machine shop.  Got a pretty good grade for it, too.  If I remember right, it was not rifled.  But he used it to dispatch critters on his trap line, so long range accuracy was no issue.

Again, we don't live in that world anymore.  And just as many things have contributed to that change to get where we are, just as many things, if not more, will have to change to get back to that world. 

One of my pet theories is the anonymity factor of modern life.  The increased urbanization of our population coupled with the automobile and television (and yes, the computer) have fragmented our social skills such that we do not know our community members.  We no longer fear for our reputations. For when we get in our cars and drive to our homes, nobody on the block know our names. No one knows what we have done.  There is no shame or stigma to bad behavior. 

You can treat your waitress like dirt at the restaurant because she isn't going to tell anyone you know. She doesn't know who you are! You can verbally abuse someone on the other end of the phone line when calling for customer service because chances are they are't even in your country, much less your own county, city, or neighborhood.  Never mind that these people go home to their families feeling like crap because of your behavior.  Face it, the whole world is enduring Karmic blowback because of the way we treat each other. 

Color me disappointed with my own species. And yes, myself as well.  That's why this time of year is meant for renewals.  Whether it is the promise of the Child, or the turning of the calendar to a New Year and it's resolutions, it's time to make the changes from within. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »
BRAVO JW!!  ENCORE!! dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:06:44 pm »

One of my pet theories is the anonymity factor of modern life.  The increased urbanization of our population coupled with the automobile and television (and yes, the computer) have fragmented our social skills such that we do not know our community members.  We no longer fear for our reputations. For when we get in our cars and drive to our homes, nobody on the block know our names. No one knows what we have done.  There is no shame or stigma to bad behavior. 

This.

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:42 am »
I wish that I was as eloquent as JW.  Beautifully worded..