Author Topic: What Did You Do Today?  (Read 842710 times)

Offline bubby

Re: What Did You Do Today?
« Reply #1695 on: February 07, 2014, 07:52:04 pm »
nothing to laugh at Eric, real men sew ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #1696 on: February 09, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »
Went up in the mountains to give a fellow an estimate on moving a couple of metal buildings and ended up killing a hog too. The guy gave us a tour of his property and told us to kill every hog we saw but i only came home with one. Hit another one but couldnt find it.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1697 on: February 09, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »
Went up in the mountains to give a fellow an estimate on moving a couple of metal buildings and ended up killing a hog too. The guy gave us a tour of his property and told us to kill every hog we saw but i only came home with one. Hit another one but couldnt find it.

That's ok, coyotes gotta eat too!  Looks like you got some lean and healthy protein right there, brother!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #1698 on: February 09, 2014, 03:29:18 pm »
nothing to laugh at Eric, real men sew ;)

Ha! You guys keep me in stitches!

I confess, I also do some sewing. Recently ran across the antique sewing machine that I gave my ex on our first anniversary.  I bought it (again) and it still works pretty good.  I am having trouble with the tensioner for the thread, though. It won't loosen up and it tends to break the thread often enough that it gets frustrating. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bubby

« Reply #1699 on: February 09, 2014, 06:19:41 pm »
nice hog okie, are you using mullets jeep method of take >:D

Offline okie64

« Reply #1700 on: February 09, 2014, 06:51:53 pm »
Thanks JW and bubby, but no we werent using the jeep method. We used a 30-06. I would like to preserve the hide but know nothing about that. Does anyone know if theres a how-to somewhere and could you point me in the right direction?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #1701 on: February 09, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Nice work okie, bet that's a blast!!

I tapped four maple trees with my two boys today. That's all we will tap due to time and space. Gonna try boil on the wood stove this year.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bubby

« Reply #1702 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:27 pm »
should be just like any other hide scrape it good and I think I would just buy some tanning solution for one hide it's not to expensive, just follow the directions

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #1703 on: February 13, 2014, 10:33:40 am »
I know all you guys that have turkeys will think this dumb, but not to me.  Where I live in the mountains of Wyoming we have only had turkeys here for about five years when the G & F planted some on a ranch in a drainage north of here.  In that time they have spread all through our range and winters here are tough.  Last spring a hen had a clutch on the neighbor's ranch.  They have been pestering the neighbors all winter and day before yesterday eleven of them showed up across the creek in our yard.  Nothing to do but go out and actually herd them to the feed I had spread out in the snow!  They went on a crazy feeding flurry.  When it got late in the evening they flew into the trees next to my corral.  That was exciting to see.  Then yesterday nine of them showed up again and I was able to feed them.  My wife thinks I am crazy for inviting them to stay!  We have every known predator here including wolves, coyotes, fox, mountain lions, bob cats, and eagles and how these turkeys survive through our winters is amazing to me.  Now if I can just draw a spring turkey tag!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #1704 on: February 13, 2014, 11:08:21 am »
It is my understanding that wild turkeys tame rather quickly if you feed them on a regular basis. You may not have any "wild" turkeys to hunt if they get too attached to your feeding times.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #1705 on: February 13, 2014, 12:42:59 pm »
JW - we were having similar issues with my wifes old machine. We took it in for a through cleaning - they got all of the old dust and oil out of it and lubed what needed it and it came back to life. Perhaps that is all you need... or a bigger hammer! ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1706 on: February 14, 2014, 07:38:34 pm »
Today I did a little rabbit hunting with my brother in law.  He took a shotgun and I brought my selfbow.  He went 2 for 2.  I only took one shot.  We spotted a rabbit hiding in the snow under a fallen tree behind the house.  I got pretty close and then took a shot through the brush.  My arrow hit dead center of the hole where it was sitting but I didn't get the rabbit.  It must have bolted as I released the arrow.  It was close but no blood or fur.   This was my first time bow hunting rabbits.  I had a lot of fun.  We looked for deer sheds but didn't find any.  We did pick up some overlay material though.  I also got in a little bow building time and placed an order with Grizzly today. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #1707 on: February 14, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »
OK....OO...I'll ask, what are they?  ???
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1708 on: February 14, 2014, 07:48:51 pm »
Goat horns.  I had to put it down earlier in the winter.  That is the only thing that the coyotes didn't eat.

Does anyone know the best way to get the horns to release?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #1709 on: February 14, 2014, 08:09:18 pm »
finally got that saw ordered Clint, congrats,