Author Topic: lots of questions part one  (Read 7644 times)

Offline david w.

lots of questions part one
« on: October 16, 2007, 03:03:27 pm »
i am about to start a mulbery bow. it will be first bow froma  stave. i need something straightened out. after this question is answered i will post the next ans so on. Here is the first one

i know how to chase a ring but it doesnt make sense to me it looks like the grain is going sideways, i thought it had to go vertical?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline snedeker

Re: lots of questions part one
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 03:21:13 pm »
No man, in a stave set up its not vertical (well, it could be if you used it sideways).  chasing a ring meains you have a single thickness of ring thats uniform along the whole bow.  With Mulberry, you can clean off the sapwood and use the outer surface of the heartwood
\
Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 03:22:14 pm »
David, Can you post pics. It might be easier for us to know what you are asking and to show you what we mean.
There are a few different types of grains to consider with a stave...the growth rings as seen from the ends and that you follow for a continuous ring down the back. The grain where the wood splits that radiate out from the center like the rays of the sun. And along the length of the stave is the grain you follow down the sides of the back.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 03:36:09 pm »
heres the stave and the ring i plan to chase. i may chase the one above it

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 03:50:47 pm »
David, For ease, I would use the growth ring just below the sapwood. Mulberry has thick rings and if you use a very thick ring, your limb will only have one ring in it. I believe you need at least 2 rings or at least a part of the second ring to get the best performance.   They kinda work against oneanother, but together to give you good cast.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 03:58:25 pm »
thanks Pat i will start chasing once i get my homework done. roday was a halfday ;D

once i get it chased part 2 will be on the way ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 05:11:54 pm »
Take your time. I know you move kinda slow anyway. ;)  You will notice a difference in the look and feel of the early(between the thick rings) rings and late rings(thick rings) and also between the sapwood and heartwood. Once you get used to it you will be able to tell the difference by the sound your knife makes going through each type of wood.
   Start about 6" from one end and pull the draw knife to you just working that 6" section. When that is done move up another 6" and work back to the previously worked section and on down the length of the stave. By doing so you will have better control and won't risk pulling up splinters or gouges that will ruin the ring below...and only work one ring at a time. Start with the bark, then go down to the next ring(sapwood) and so on until you get to the ring you want for the back. When you encounter a knot or a cluster of pin knots, leave that area alone until you have removed all the wood from that ring, then go back and work from the center of the knot and work down to the ring, working from all around the knot.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 05:44:30 pm »
David, there are 2 things to consider with this character stave. First, the back of the bow  has to be one continuous ring from tip to tip. Be careful because sometimes the rings did so you need to use a scraper so as not to go into the ring below. No ring violations are allowed. If you do cut into the ring below then make that ring your back. Second, when you lay out the bow you need to follow the vertical grain when marking the center line. Look closely you can see that grain going tip to tip too. Got it? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 07:16:46 pm »
What George said.  I would probably uses the ring that has the little split in it just because it is already starting to separate, and the ring under it is thick.  If it has a crack down into the old growth ring under it, go down one more. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 07:34:01 pm »
i did do that. i started with a hatchit and split it some and luckily i didnt violate the ring but now i have a problem. i have no long knife ar drawknife to get the rest of the sapwood off. i s there any other way to get it off?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 08:07:50 pm »
      Make a scraper David or get youre hachet REALLY sharp and scrape the sapwood and rings away ..............bob

Offline david w.

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:13:38 pm »
thanks i will try something. actually i will try anything. i dont have any tools

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 09:04:18 pm »
...........David, here are some tools. I know you dont have these but maybe it will give ya some ideas.......bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline david w.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:14 pm »
im ok on the files and the hatchet but im short of a draw knife. I know someone who is  a cooper and maybe i can see if they know who sells them around here. if i want to start makin bows i will definately need one

Roger

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:18 pm »
Bob...is that a bloodstain I see on that Machete...LOL I ain't never trying to get in your house...you got too many sharp things..LOL
All the tools a guy needs...

R