Author Topic: Sanding (the fun part?)  (Read 4613 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Sanding (the fun part?)
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:10:42 am »
OK guys...I have made a lot of progress in recent bows where I am able, for the most part, to tiller them out to the desired weight. I have even been able to correct some mistakes made during the process. I am usually so worn out by getting the bow ready to shoot that I hand sand it down, slap a little shellac on it, and call it done. I am ready to move forward with my finishing skills, now, I guess. I hear you guys talking about sanding. Do any of you use power sanders such as vibrating or orbital sanders to get them slick before you add the finish? Just curious. I never hear them mentioned. I know this is "Primitive Archer", but... ???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:19:25 am by lesken2011 »
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline adb

Re: Sanding (the fun part?)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:21 am »
I do. When I'm done tillering, I sand down the bow with a palm sander using 150 grit. Once I have all the tool marks out, I hand sand with 220 grit, and then finish sand with 400 grit. Yah, it's probably cheating, but my time is precious. Don't forget... you usually lose a couple of pounds draw weight when you're sanding it out.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 11:17:25 am »
Power sander.. great way to ruin a bow (stave bow... maybe a relatively flat board bow, or flat belly/back would be fine to power sand).
IMO the trick is:-
1. 'rough sand' say 120- 180 grit get some varnish/oil/finish of choice on it early... this will show up the tooling marks.
2. Use a scraper to take out the tooling marks followed by 240 grit, then varnish/oil/finish.
3. Repeat 2 until you can't tell if they are grain or tooling marks, or you hit your desired level of finish or loose the will to live.
4, Add more coats of finish until you hit your desired level of finish or loose the will to live.
5. Final wipe over with beesaw polish.
6. Notice, tiny toolmark...
7. Beat head on wall, return to 2.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:10 am »
I don't use a power sander for finish work, I find they often leave marks that sanding by hand does not. I do use a power sander for shaping and even for tillering sometimes.

When I'm done tillering and ready to put the finish on, I go over the belly of the bow with 40 or 60 grit sandpaper by hand. This really digs in and gets those tool marks out without you having to put too much effort into it. I try to keep my sanding balanced along the length of the limbs so as not to throw off the tiller. Then I move up to 100 grit, and sand the entire bow, back belly and all. Then I move up to 150 grit, then 220, then 400.

I apply one coat of tung oil, then sand again with the 400, then apply as many coats of tung oil as I need to in order to be satisfied with the look. I've been very happy with my results on the last few bows I've finished with this method.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 11:43:53 am »
All by hand for me. 80 grit, 120 grit, 220 grit, 0000 steel wool then Tru Oil , canned poly , or a dip in urethane.  The key in my opinion to a good finish is keeping it mind the whole build, clean up behind yourself and the sanding at the end is easy.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:58:52 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 11:49:09 am »
I get the tool marks out with a scrapper as I go along tillering ,then hit it with 100 by hand,lightly as I am tillering to keep the edges fro being sharp,then maybe 220 lightly and finish.I Never sand out a tool mark,don't have any when I am finished tillering. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:50:54 am »
Scraper to remove the tool marks.  Grits by hand:  100 then 150, 220, 320, 400 then rub vigorously (burnish) with a paper towel.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Will H

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »
I'm with pap, by the time a bow is tillered I don't have tool marks. I do the finish sand by hand. Then shoot it in. Ill hit the whole bow lightly with some 400 after that and put the finish on.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline bushboy

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 12:18:19 pm »
Hey alll,I use a belt and disc sander for shapeing early on in the process,but only outside,to much dust for my little bow shop!scraper,and plumbing 120 grit sand cloth!it comes in a roll and is awesome for rounding edges and removing tool marks,tear out and suchi use it like shining some ones shoe.if you havn't used it ,I would suggest giving it a go!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 12:40:36 pm »
i have used a random orbit sander a couple times, but not any more, like others have said, even with higher grits, there is the opportunity to overdo it in  hurry and mess something up.

I start at 80 grit, usually doesn't take much, then 120, 180 and 220, thats it for me.
45# at 27"

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 01:36:29 pm »
I'm with Pappy and Will. If you get out all the tool marks by the time you are doing the final tillering, you won't lose any weight in the final finish stage.
Gordon

Offline bow101

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »
Sanding is the most thankless Job...... >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »
Sanding is the most thankless Job......

...and one of the most important jobs if you want your bow to be the best it can be  ;D
Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44:45 pm »
I'm with Pappy and Will. If you get out all the tool marks by the time you are doing the final tillering, you won't lose any weight in the final finish stage.

This... plus, sanding quickly sucks away my will to live. I really hate it so I endeavor to need as little as possible.

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 02:20:10 pm »
Thanks, guys. That helps alot.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA