Author Topic: Just Can't Do It  (Read 3773 times)

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

Just Can't Do It
« on: February 26, 2013, 06:38:46 pm »
I just can't do it.... I can't make a selfbow. I have tried and tried and as always something goes wrong and snap, crack, bang, $*%&#&*@*!!!!

Kudos to you guys that can hammer these bows out. I was trying to toast and heat the belly of my snakey elm bow going slow when clamping and snap.... So dissappointed and fed up. Want to hunt bad this spring with a selfbow but its looking like it won't happen. This is as close as I have got to a selfbow and it breaks.... DANG!!! :'(

Time to turn into Roy and grab a cold one.... Try starting again on another tomorrow

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Just Can't Do It
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
Was that a sawmark there where it broke?  It looks like it was cut in half.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:56:33 pm »
        thats it voice it  >:( , grab 6 cold ones  ;) , and get after another bow tomorrow. best therapy in the world.

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 06:56:51 pm »
 :(  I know exactly how you feel. I have snapped 7, some laminates and some boards. The best was the first. Eventually you'll get the right piece of wood and everything will come together, it just takes time.
Hang in there. ;)

"Was that a sawmark there where it broke?  It looks like it was cut in half."
  Ya kind of looks that way..!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 07:07:12 pm »
it can be a bear, but don't give up, get you a nice maple board, or white oak/hickory, and use the dimensions in my build a long, ya don't have to use a tablesaw, just makes it easy er, follow this and you will git a bow, and pm me if ya need any help, Bubhttp://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:17:03 pm »
Looks like a clean grain break to me. Lets see the back Justin.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:45 pm »
Thanks bub... I've made board bows and three BBO but just haven't made a successful selfbow. Somethin always goes wrong.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:27 pm »
Being basically self taught I prob broke the first 20 or so but I'd like to think I learn something from every failure.that was before I got a computer and had acess to the internet.can't see your pics wich is a bummerso am not sure if it was a board or a stave,but knowing what to look for in the grain is Key and how it's tillered is everything!!not to say that I don't break one on occation,but usually when I break my own rules!u can do it!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:12:13 pm »
Looks like maybe you followed the grain in one plane but not the other. I don't think that Elm was as snakey as you thought.Try a stave for your self bow. If you've already got the tillering thing down, the stave should come fairly easy for you.Turkey season is fast approaching! You can do it!

Offline Roy

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 11:15:38 pm »
Looks like someone gave ya bad wood. Where did ya get the stave at?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »
My first two bows turned out and then I broke 7 in a row. It will get better if you stick with it.
Gordon

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 11:53:43 pm »
You can do it buddy. Your in the right place at the right time. It has happened to all of us. Heck, I hadn't broke one in four years and just broke one two weeks ago. Sometimes its me and sometimes the wood just don't wanna be a bow. Thats ok find you another piece that does and get to makin shavings. Wer'e here rootin for ya and theirs plenty of help if you need it.  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:17 am »
Heck I broke one bow 3 times:
1. the string slipped out of the nock and torn a splitter
2 Then I piked and tried to flip the tips a bit and lifted a splitter.
3. I sanded the splitter out but I needed more wood to get the draw weight.  So, I decrowned it and backed it with hickory and glue line failed. 
Talk about getting the most for one piece of wood.  It taught me a bunch.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline johnston

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 02:56:19 am »
If you were looking for easy you wouldn't be here.
But you are so.....

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 04:16:55 am »
Dude, what is that line on the belly of your bow where it broke? It broke because of it for sure, but honestly, what is it? By the way, you pay shipping and I will send you a stave of snaky honey locust. Iffen ya need it... This will make a nicde bow, and is already very slightly roughed out, 2 years cut and dry.

I have made several very nice bows from this wood. This stave will make a nice bow with a sap wood back and heartwood belly, and look like yew when complete. You will need to chase one ring if you want to keep the heartwood on the belly though, and these are thick rings so it should be easy. Just let me know on here if you need it or not. Will post some pics soon.

Roy, pearly gave him that, I doubt it was a bad bit of wood.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:17:10 am by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others