Author Topic: Reality TV  (Read 3364 times)

Offline bow101

Reality TV
« on: March 24, 2013, 11:10:23 pm »
Why not make a Reality TV show about Archery, [Bowyers] more to the point primitive archery and/or primitive living, Hunting with primitive bows etc..etc....
Some of the shows I'm sick of others are really great.  I watch Moonshiners, Dats a good one..!  Had my fill of Duck dynasty.  Pawn stars and Amercian pickers are high on my list.  Mountain Men was good but it was to short.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Newindian

Re: Reality TV
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:27:51 am »
Think of all the drama they would have to add to make chastising a ring interesting.
I like free stuff.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 03:08:07 am »
Ahhh, that ring chasin stuff is only for that osage crap. All ya need is a good piece of white wood. But that sure would be fun to put together and watch...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 10:57:07 am »
The reality of it is you have to have sponsors that are willing to pay to produce such a show. The easy part is getting the "actors" to play.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 12:03:04 pm »
The reality of it is you have to have sponsors that are willing to pay to produce such a show. The easy part is getting the "actors" to play.  ;)

And its hard to get sponsors for a type of activity where nobody is buying much. Primitive hunting and bow building uses all natural materials and the purist don't buy anything. Even those of us who lean more towards the traditional side than the primitive side aren't emptying our pockets at Cabelas for the latest trad gear.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 12:15:39 pm »
I order to have any hope of success it would have to have lots of Drama and conflicts between contestants.  Don't know how Drama could be brought into straighting a batch of arrow shafts.
Most all of primitive type folks get along real well. 

I used to think someone from this web site should put in for the Survivor show on CBS.
Last time I watched any of it It is just a soap opera.  No survival skills needed.

David   
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Poggins

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:40:52 pm »
I'll stay on the side lines on this one.....okinoodlers and mudcats kinda got under my skin and has caused a few problems for me ( land owners do not like every want to be trespassing on the and have shut people out even the honest ones that they still get along with , they don't want any conflicts between their friends and a stranger getting out of hand).

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 02:51:20 pm »
Yeh, we help each other too much to make good "drama".  Now if we got into a shouting match constantly, or drew down on each other, or stole each other's tools....THEN you got something. 

I've a friend that works with movies, tv shows, commercials, etc.  He says they literally have writers on hand during the shooting to hand new lines to the "talent" as they are filming.  The director tells everyone what he expects to be filming that day at a pre-shoot meeting in the morning.  They they haul the "talent" to the various shooting locations that was scouted over the last week and they choreograph all the reality they can handle. 

Oh, and you know why they refer to the people on screen as "talent"?  Because it's so freaking funny to everyone behind the camera to call them that!  In many cases the onscreen people know what is expected of them and they do what they are told because it's a job, and fairly good paying some times.  But sometimes the folks are being exploited and not even realizing they are being ridiculed and mocked by the filming company.  Pretty sad either way.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Marks

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 11:20:17 am »
We would have to incorperate some baby momma drama. Maybe at the end of the show all the bowyers could do primitive weapon "paintball'. Light poundage bows and sponge tiped arrows with paint. They could be pretty entertaining, maybe even marketable.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:50:25 am »
What's sad is the people who actually watch that stuff
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »
What's sad is the people who actually watch that stuff

You said a mouthful, Marc.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline kinslayer1965

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 05:31:27 pm »
I can see the promos even now...Snookie the Osage Queen".......well maybe not  ::) ::) ::)
"a man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep"

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »
It would be great to see a program on TV that has something to do with traditional outdoor skills, archery, callmaking, decoy carving, etc... But unfortunately Pat B. is right when he say's that there is no money in it.
 As far as archery is concerned all you see on TV is the newest compound or crossbow, because they can be mass produced and garner mass exposure.
We love the traditional and primitive stuff because we recognize the value in knowing our history, in knowing where we came from, what our fore fathers went through, the artestry and hard earned knowledge they had to aquire before they ever strung a bow or flung an arrow.Now a days, plunk down the cash, pull it out of the box and within a few minutes you'll be zipping carbon arrows 40-50 yards.
We see traditional and primitive archery growing every day, there's new members here on PA and other sites all of the time. We travel to Tennessee, Michigan, New York and accross the country and see new people at shoots every year, from all over the USA, from Canada, and even from England and Germany. Our beloved traditional archery hobby/lifestyle is growing all of the time and that is great, but unfortunately, because it is mostly a do it yourself hobby and doe's not lend itself easily to the big money pursuits that drive the modern world, Most of the world doe's not know that we even exist.
At almost every open shoot we hold at Hawkeye Bowmen, someone looks at us with our self bows and comments to thier friend,"look at those guy's with the recurves". I've had people tell me that you can't kill a deer with that thing, and they are either amazed or don't believe me when I tell them that I shoot completely through most of the deer I kill with my self bow.
One time my friends and I went to an open shoot near by, we were the only ones there with primitive equipment, and people were following us and watching us because they had never seen archers that did not shoot compounds.
It's rare to meet another hunter in the woods carrying traditional equipment.
And it's like that with all of the traditional outdoor pursuits, there are a lot of tallented and passionate custom callmakers and collectors out there, but meet any hunter in the woods and they are carrying the latest plastic call massed produced by one of the biggest call companys in the nation.When's the last time you saw someone hunting over wood decoys? Yet there are some great decoy carvers out there.
It's a soulless world that we live in.
It is a shame, but we can take satisfaction in knowing that our sport is growing all of the time, and that we continue to instill and infect others with our passion for primitive and traditional out door pursuits, even though the rest of the world doe's not seem to notice, and then, just maybe, if we talk about it enough amongst ourselves, we might plant a seed that germinates in someones brain and we will get another program like I Caveman!
Let's hope for the best!
And Keep talking amongst ourselves.

Kevin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:36:36 pm by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline bow101

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 11:57:26 pm »
It would be great to see a program on TV that has something to do with traditional outdoor skills, archery, callmaking, decoy carving, etc... But unfortunately Pat B. is right when he say's that there is no money in it.

Kevin

;D  Maybe I opened a can of worms here.  Point well put. "that there is no money in it."  This primitive stuff is basically DIY. Build what you have with what you got. As far as Reality TV is concerned I try to keep an open mind and watch anything that's somewhat amusing and interesting instead of watching Athletes out on the ice samcking each others brains in, or Extreme fighting.
I would rather laugh & learn than endure another concussion. What do I learn.?
Collecting, antiques etc..etc.. I have noticed a trend taking place with people shopping for stuff in thrift shops. Certain things come full circle, and cetain things get bought up real quick. Buying habits have changed a lot in the last 5 years.  Usefull items are becoming the hot ticket.!
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 01:56:53 am »
Guys, I agree with some of the statement and disagree with much more of them.  Yes, most of the outdoor archery shows are promoting the "latest and greatest' of wheel bow technology.  And those shows are back by the said bow maker.  Why, because they are willing to pay for their 30 minute commercial.  And, it's the easy way out for the producers to make a living.

I strongly disagree that a tv show could not be produced featuring primitive archery.  The only reason it hasn't been produced is because everyone thinks because there's not a "bow maker" backing and it's a DIY hobby none of us spend money on this hobby and we live in tipi.  That's not the case at all.  It's because we and protential producers look for the quick fix for cash, i.e. there's no Matthews of Hoyt to sponsor such a show.  Well, let's think out of the box just a minute, shall we?

Who owns a truck?  Who has purchased power tools? Who has purchased hand tools?  Who drinks beer?  Who buys outdoor clothing, camping equipment, food processors...?  Who owns a chainsaw?  Who has an ATV?  Who has a treestand or groundblind?  Who has hunting boots.  List of sponsors are endless.  But the producer will have to knock on more than one door.

I don't have cable TV so I seldom get to watch many of these shows.  But, who's the sponsor of the show were folks bid on contents from storage units?  Or Pawn Shop Wars, I think might be the name of the show?

All I'm saying is, a primitive archery show can be produced and be successful.  It might not be on the Outdoor Channel, but the History Channel or Discovery Channel might have an interest in well produced show.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw