Author Topic: Arrow material of choice  (Read 6387 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Arrow material of choice
« on: May 31, 2013, 03:47:41 pm »
I have seen some debate lately about natural arrow material not being up to what today's commercial arrow material are.  Some are claiming that bamboo/cane are not able to be matched close enough for a quality matched set.  And they are including other natural arrow material in this debate as well.

So tell me, with out any commercial arrow material available to you, what would be your choice to make and use that would fit the parameters of equal in weight, spine, consistency and durability.

Or maybe you don't require any of the above qualities that are so sought after in today's modern archery concept.  Love to hear your thoughts, comments, and ever debate on this.

And remember these materials have to be able to do it all.  Hunt, target, 3D, and all.  What is your choice.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 04:13:04 pm by stringstretcher »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Arrow material of choice
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »
Im a hardcore boo guy Charlie. But I gotta say after Hippy gave me some Hill cane at the classic, Im in love. I have bounced a few off trees as I so often do and none are worse for wear. I shot miserably all weekend in Marshall and never knicked a shaft. My shafts vary at least 5# in spine and wobble, but fly like bullets all the same. Any cane or boo is a-ok in my book.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 05:08:34 pm »
you shot great compared to me Chris at Marshall.  I've been shooting poc shafts and I am done with them.  but then again when you hit a tree with a 55 pound bow what can you ask for ::)

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:13:44 pm »
They will not compete with boo or cane in the looks department, but poplar shafts are a big step up in my book from cedar - - so long as you are shooting 50 pounds and up, since they weigh in a little heavier than cedar.  Tough and easy to straighten  -  but no sweet cedar smell. 

Russ

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 05:17:51 pm »
I haven't had a chance to play with too many materials, but I will take anything over carbon.  When wood or other natural material fails, you know it.  Carbon can look fine at a glance and still leave a bunch of splinters in your skin.

If I had to choose from local stuff,  I would start with birch and poplar, then ash and settle on what works best.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline CORIUS

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:25:09 pm »
I use oak. Works for me.
Where there's a will, there's a bow.

PA subscription #: PM108452

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 05:44:06 pm »
I have been using Ocean Spray (ironwood) I have also been hand planning some 100yr old barn boards cut from old growth fir. Both make very nice arrows.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »
I have made serviceable arrows out of a few different materials. Cane grows all over the place where I live, as well as several species of viburnum, and some other shrubs that will make an arrow. I have used a lot of cane, it flies well and is very durable, but it can be kinda ugly lol. I like the viburnum that grows on my property. There is a lot of it, and it's just as durable as cane IMO. It grows in long straight shoots and has a small pith in the center. The taper is pretty straight, it spines consistently, and when you finish straightening it, it almost looks store bought.   :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 11:26:09 pm »
Charlie; my first choice is Tonkin Bamboo, followed by, old hippy's Hill Cane. Tonkin is darn near indestructable and I just bought a bundle of 500.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 11:28:05 pm »
I have yet to use cane arrows because we grow so little cane here in South Dakota.  I have made a few chokecherry shafts...pretty tough, and they restraighten easily enough when abused.

For prepared and dowelled shafting, my favorite so far has been sitka spruce.  They are twice as tough as cedar with only about 10% heavier weight.  Pretty easy to keep straight too.  Recently I bought a mess of ash arrow shafting from Allegheny Mtn Arrow Woods.  They are tougher than heck, but a might heavy.  My latest dozen arrows came in at 720 grains with the 125 grain field points.  They may be slow, but they eat up a lot of handshock from a bow!!!

The other downside of the ash was that they are a bit harder to keep straight. 

As you can tell by now, my main criteria for arrow materials is how miserable I am trying to get them straight.  I hate straightening arrows.  I would rather get experimental dental surgery without anesthesia in a third world country than straighten arrow shafts.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2013, 12:17:20 am »
I like wild rose. It's heavy, which I like, and is as tough as any wood I've encountered so far!

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 01:18:31 am »
I have made arrows out of wild rose too. They make excellent arrows too

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 08:43:29 am »
I've got a variety in my quiver for hunting and would prefer Tonkin / cane but if only local material then as follows by availability:

Wild rose
Red osier dogwood
Amur honeysuckle

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 10:19:51 am »
Dogwood would be first.  Wild Rose and Cane following it up.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 11:10:25 am »
Poplar for sure.

Jon