Author Topic: Forum names  (Read 14065 times)

Offline IndianGuy

Re: Forum names
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 11:18:18 am »
"""Never could understand the handle thing. I guess everyone picks one because everyone else does, a monkey see, monkey do kind of thing."""

No it's because some of us have the same names and same initials! and yes you do seem very "crotchety" just like always! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Eric

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2013, 01:08:31 pm »
Hi, My name is Ben. I like sticks and stones....

I work in Yosemite National Park, so Yosemite Ben it is. 

In my younger years and now somewhat later years folks still call me bear or some derivation there of.  I have been confused for a bear when wandering the campgrounds at night checking food storage.

Iffn y'all make it out this way give a hoot. Door's usually open if we are home.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2013, 02:44:05 pm »
Eric,  when I first joined PA as well as some other forums I was new to the world of the internet and didn't feel comfortable going by my real name. 

I started out as scrub buster because my brother in law called me that.  I was pretty good at bustin' scrub bucks back then.  I wanted to change it to something to do with osage because I am lucky enough to be surrounded by it.  Osage Outlaw is what I came up with.  TG won't let me change my user name so I'm still Scrub buster over there.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline 4dog

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2013, 02:50:51 pm »
My handle is from my love of bass guitar  , doggin the 4 string , i go by the same handle on TALKBASS, a bass forum oddly enough.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2013, 03:07:11 pm »
  Here I was thinking it was really cold where you lived...it's a 4 dog night!

*sigh*  Whadya call a guy that just HAS to hang out with musicians...a bassist.
How does a bassist break up with his band?  "Hey guys! I wrote a song!"
Whadya call a bassist that breaks up with his girlfriend?  Homeless. 
How do you come up with new bassist jokes?  Go to drummerjokes.com and change the instrument.  ( :P  Hey Pearlie!)

Feel the love 4dog!  I used to play the four string gut bucket, too.  Couple years ago I googled my name and found a mess of folks that share the name, including an Aussie and a Kiwi that both play bass professionally in rock bands.  They even knew each other!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2013, 05:32:36 pm »
Most people strive for a certain degree of anonymity, I am just the opposite, I love talking face to face with real people. To be honest, I have to admit I have a bit of a motor mouth, to the dismay of the majority of folk I corner at times.

I never use a drive up window for take out food, banking or paying bills, just don't care to talk into or listen to a garbled voiced microphone when I can talk face to face to some nice (nice most of the time) young person directly at the counter.

I am just different........

Offline JessaHein

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 06:11:03 pm »
From what I've gathered, which I know isn't a whole lot since I'm a youngin', handles regarding forums and most of the internet are, as was mentioned, for anonymity. They are kind of like a unique way of displaying yourself without actually displaying yourself. I've noticed that, on forums or other internet outlets where someone is more inclined to being personally involved and open to sharing such details of themselves, their handles or screen-names are either very closely related to or are directly related to themselves, such as a name. And, likewise, such avenues that are not as personally involved, such as video games, etc. the handles tend to be anything BUT their name. Usually, not saying it's true on all accounts, just what I've noticed over the years. I've played a fair share of video games and seen a fair share of gamertags, names, handles and calls. And before you say it, I do still go outside to play!  ;)

As for me, my forum name here is a direct reflection of my name. It's not my whole name, but it's a snippet of my last name and the nickname my husband calls me, so it's pretty darn close.  ;D I felt that this was a comfortable and friendly enough place that I could be a little more direct with detail, since you guys will probably inevitably see me when I'm showing off bows I've blown up and other horrific accidents I end up having.  ::)
Vannon, että osun omenaan!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 06:15:49 pm »
Welcome to the place, Jessa.  Feel free to post those bows, blown or otherwise.  Nothing in here we like better (or at least nothing we can freely talk about in a family oriented forum such as this!)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 06:19:03 pm »
No your not different unless you want to think you are. Eric you just like making sure things get done right in person I think.I'm the same way.
With all of the FG shooters I go out with that don't make their own bows they've started calling me Bow Ed.Whatever.Did so much beadwork they called me beadman at rendezvous.I'm gonna quit now.Got way too many names people called me in the past.Some good some bad.....LOL.No bow doctors on here though.....MMMMMMMMMM.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
There was a Bow Doc, but that is another topic and it's locked.   >:D

Offline 4dog

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 09:43:11 pm »
Not cold in Texas it seems ,,ever!!! Something bout you Halverson,i just knew you were strange enough to be a bassist ,cause as everyone knows ,bassists are a bit twisted.  And as far as drummers saying bassist jokes,us bass players just consider the source ,ya know drummers arent really musicians,,right.?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 10:27:46 pm »

For you younger ones out there, the "Desoto" J.W. is talking about is not the famous Spanish explorer,  ;) but a......uh..... antique automobile. 8)  It looked something like what I imagine the flagship of Commander Cody, and the Lost Planet Airmen would look like. 8)  "You're gonna drive me to drinkin, if you don't stop driving that hot rod Lincoln!" :P  Which would explain why he was playing with refrigerator magnets.  Which is not a bad thing, like putting your face up against the microwave door, while watching the bowl of ramen noodles rotate on the turntable in the oven, while wearing a quilted tinfoil hat, trying to think of a user name for this site.  Not that I did anything as silly as that. :o  Well not at first...... ::) :P  I guess throwing refrigerator magnets against the door of an old car, is better than throwing toe bones of deer, and other animals, and trying to decipher their meaning.  But none the less, it all turned out well.  So maybe if you don't have a PA user name yet, you might try the magnet trick.  And if you can't get a Desoto door, look for an old dodge push button automatic, and use the door from that.  Should have something like the same parameters of lunar magnetic attraction.  Check the tides, and try it on a high tide. ;)

Good luck with it.  And let us know what name you came up with. :)
Actually it is a pretty good idea.  I kind of like it.  I might have to revamp my user name.

Wayne

Offline 4dog

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »
A 65' Ford Falcon would work as well. :D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 11:30:31 pm »
We have a Gun Doc
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dharma

• Kayenta, AZ
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2013, 01:55:07 am »
Eric,

I dig what you're saying. I don't own a cell phone, drink tap water, and don't use drive-up windows. I go a bit further myself. I don't have a TV and the only reason I have a microwave oven is because this chick that lived here with me insisted on it. She also insisted on using the drive-through window, which was a drag. But, hey, it wasn't all bad. She taught me how to roll a cigarette, she could sing great, and could make a great pot of collard greens. But we never got around to reading Kerouac or even the Lotus Sutra together or making the trip to Big Sur. Anyway, how did I get so off topic? Oh, yeah, forum names.

Well, I follow the Dharma so hence the name. But, my real name is really irrelevant since it isn't the name I was born with. So, I am not attached to my name. My first name is spelled different from the way most spell that first name. People pronounce it differently and I'm cool with that, too. I dig people saying it different. If I had thought ahead, I'd have told the people I already know to say it different, too. I can do the same with my middle name since it is also spelled different. Yeah, so, my parents were pretty counterculture. But I still served in the 101st Airborne and had CH-47s land on my helmet. Screen names are just that----screen names. Speaking of the 101st Airborne, my name was once Roster 615 there. Don't worry about screen names. Just watch Breakfast At Tiffanys and it'll all be peaches.
An arrow knows only the life its maker breathes into it...