Author Topic: Getting Old and Cranky  (Read 14193 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Getting Old and Cranky
« on: June 30, 2013, 02:09:35 pm »
Guess I need to back out of the PA web site as all these new experts with their bias really makes me upset.  I started beating up on rocks in the 50s when no outside information was available.  Since that time I have gone through many phases of making points and blades.  No one on here has reinvented the wheel.  Crafty is the only one that has developed a technique that the real stone masons did not use.  Seems when someone becomes proficient at a style or technique then he thinks the rest of us should emulate his methods and beliefs.   I am maybe wrong, but I feel the techniques, tools, and materials one uses is his own choice and having someone saying he should become whatever an ABO knapper like himself is out of line and causes disharmony on the PA site.  So rather than be the only one who seems to take offense at the remarks about copper I am dropping out.  There are some very talented young knappers that I praise and we all know who they are.  They have my respect.  The hardest thing about what I am doing here is not having to get up at 3:30 AM on Mondays to see and read about Pappy's Good Life.  I plan to try to make the items I promised at the Classic this year so if you want to keep in touch my email address is:  jeyork@tctwest.net.  A/Ho Udos    Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Roy

Re: Getting Old and Cranky
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:14:48 pm »
I understand, Wolf. However don't let it get to you, just ignore their comments. Stick around Bro.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »
I look at all the comments as opinions, and take them as such, no one should direct flaming arrows at anyone, cause sooner or later, arrows get flung back, also i personally havent noticed anyone pushing their viewpoint as better , just different.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »
I just do not read the posts from people that bother me. Pick and choose what you want to read.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:33:25 pm »
Could you post links to the threads that you're talking about?  I have not once seen anyone on here seriously say that their method of knapping or doing anything is better than someone else's.  Only thing I can think of is that dude that made a shirt about why ABO knapping is better but he did that just to rag on his buddies that use copper.  He himself used copper for a long time.  I guarantee you it was not posted to make other people feel the way you feel. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 03:39:05 pm »
There are always some people that think there way is the best and only way to do things.  Screw'em  >:(  There is more than one way to skin a cat.  If you want to break rock with copper than go right ahead.  Stick around Joe.  I always enjoy reading your posts about the beautiful scenery and wildlife at your ranch.

And in my opinion nobody is pure ABO.  I don't think natives wore prescription glasses, used artificial lighting, or gathered knapping rocks in automobiles or by mail.  I don't think they used power or hand saws to cut out billets and boppers from antler either.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:08:28 pm by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 03:50:58 pm »
i am with Clint on this.screw that guy.Joe,please don't leave because of on person.there is way more people that want you here.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 06:06:08 pm »
yeah don't let anyone mess with you, heck 99% of my points are all slabs
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 06:42:31 pm »
     Stick around Sir, as the old saying goes, opinions are like, well you know, and they all stink, except mine. ;) :P  Or as the Latin phrase so deftly expresses,
     "Non illegetimus, non carborundum est."  Don't let the B------s wear you down!
Stick around, I don't know your age, but my hide has gotten a lot thicker as I have aged, every now and then, I can feel something hit my skin, but it doesn't penetrate . ;)  Everyone has a right to their own opinion.  Be that opinion right or wrong.  It just depends from what angle you look at it, in some respects, and in some it is just plain wrong.  Be that as it may, it is still an opinion.  Some may feel an opinion so strongly, that it is put forth as the only correct manner in which something is done, or practiced.  An opinion is just a personal theory. 
Stick around, you've too much to offer, to leave over such things as someone else's opinions.

Wayne
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:01:56 pm by stickbender »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 06:46:55 pm »
Thanks, Wayne, great advice before this Thread gets carried away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 12:49:21 am »
Whoa!  Don't back out Joe!  Please!  I think there is a huge misunderstanding here.  You didn't name any names Joe, but I'm fairly certain that I know what you are referring too.  I can guarantee that he is not speaking from arrogance and trying to say do it my way or don't do it.  He is only trying to show folks like me his discoveries with ABO techniques.  Sure, there's some needling going on, but i know for certain that it is done completely for humor.  If it would have been known that folks were going to feel genuine animosity over the subject, it would not have been done in such a way.  I know this, because I talk with the fellow quite regularly and he has nothing but the highest respect for you guys as do I.  I had a part in some of the comments made, and i assure you it was done for fun and nothing else.  For my part, if I caused offense, I sincerely apologize.  It was most definitely not intended to do so.  Please do not leave the sight Joe.   You are one of the most respected folks on here.  I know for a fact that the guy you're talking about has the highest respect for you Sir.  Once again, I apologize for any offense i played a part in.  I had no idea people would take it as anything but good natured fun.  Josh

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:25:43 am »
I think some people on here like to refute the "fact" that copper beats antler.
IMO who cares what you use, just make the dang point.
I use a steel file(and know its not the best, its probably near the worst)
I don't think the people who you are talking about meant to say their methods were better. they were just refuting things other people have said.

Please stay... I doubt I am the only one who will miss you.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 08:22:37 am »
I hear ya Joe and hope you will reconceder,I hear it all the time with my bow building/try it this way or you should do it this way, ::) I just let it roll off and go on with the way I learned, I call them the young guns and sometimes it does bother me,but mostly just let it roll,you do it your way and I will keep doing it mine. ;) Like has been said as far as I can tell you are one of the most respected folks on here,at least that is how I feel. I get cranky also,please reconceder. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 09:09:37 am »
I too hope you reconsider, Joe.  Your absence would be a loss for the PA site.  We enjoy your posts, wisdom and contributions. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline half eye

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 09:26:40 am »
Hey Mo-Coon,  I too am old and get the same feeling you do, come by it honest too. But if the old farts don't keep hangin out then there aint gonna be no voice in the wilderness, eh? Ya can allways stick and check things out and help out the fellas ya can.

Think maybe, the problem is all this "cyber" stuff, don't think it's too cool either. I'm old enough to think a man's word should be good, cause it's all ya really got. Also don't say things hidin behind a key-board ya wouldn't say to their face.

Anyways, hope ya stick around, just one old guy's thought, the site will be better for it.
rich