Author Topic: Ice Fishing '13  (Read 20242 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Ice Fishing '13
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2014, 03:40:01 pm »

Yeah, KH, my luck ice fishing was rather lackluster also.  I tried it for the first time last year, only had one fish on, and nothing to write home about, and lost it just as I was pulling it out of the ice.  That was after taking a rather FAST fall on the ice after I stood up from my chair.  Later a guy at one of the restaurants in town, told me he just uses a towel, and when he gets the fish's head up through the hole, he flops the towel in the fish's mouth, and it closes down, like an alligator will do, and he just pulls them out, without a gaff.  Sounds plausible.  I would sure like to catch some like those, though for sure.  I would be very happy! ;) ;D

Wayne

The towel trick works great for pike, and if you don't have a towel, you can use your  hand.....once!

I think I will just try the towel J.W..  I am experienced with blue fish already. :'( :P   yah, hey dere Pearl Drums, ya fer sure you betcha dem is some good ones hey?  I wish I could catch some like that.  Heck just one.  But they caught five others, and let them go cause they didn't think they could eat that much.  They only kept those, as the they swallowed the hook too far down.  Uh.....hello..... freezers, Friends, etc.   But they were all going out of state in a couple of days.  So they did not want to leave them in the freezer .  The Three are fantastic people, as is their whole family.  The one on the left, and the one on the right, both got scholarships for pole vaulting, and the one on the left was offered a scholarship, after graduating, to get his masters in sports, and  to get room and board, plus be paid, to coach pole vaulting.  He is now working for a Friend he met while working doing surveying for the oil fields, and is partners with him in his business.   But he has almost paid off all of his student loans, and is bringing in around $80,000.00 a year.  Not bad for a 23 yr. old.  The one on the right, Broke both his ankles, while pole vaulting for the school, and while studying to be a Physical therapists, and his grades were so good, the Professor, asked him to wait after class.  He sat down with him, and told hmi he was wasting his time, in that class.  He needed to go to Medical School!  So he is now in Arizona studying to be a podiatrist.  His Wife by the way, was also a champion pole vaulter.  Unfortunately, she landed wrong, and broke both of her ankles also!  She didn't go up right and came down on the front side of the bar, and hit the asphalt.  Anyway, she is now studying to be a nurse.  The oldest one, the one in the middle, he is very good at painting, construction, and just about anything he tries his hand at. He helped his Dad build my home in Montana.   His wife is a Brain surgeon!   Right now they are living outside of Pittsburgh,Pa. till she is done with her residency, then they will decide where they will go to live. Their Dad told me he is pretty much covered now.  If he stubs his foot, and falls and hits his head, he can get his foot fixed, and his head worked on and have a nurse to take care of him! ;) ;D Each of the kids that went to College, paid their own way.  Not that their parents wouldn't have tried to help them, they wanted to do it on their own.  And they did. ;) good hunters, and fishermen, and all round Good People.  I have known them since they were just little kids.
                                                                                Wayne

Offline bushboy

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2014, 01:20:05 pm »
kinda like the towel trick,i use to fish for trout and smelts on the sea ice using a ball of red yarn with a lead at the end.their teeth get snagged on the yarn !lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2014, 01:47:38 pm »
Well I finally went out today after a 2 year hiatus from ice fishing. We took a snowmobile out and went through spots that there was close to a foot of water on the ice. You could feel the snowmobile rolling on the water. I have never seen conditions like that. The fishing wasn't that good but it was nice to get out.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »
Well I finally went out today after a 2 year hiatus from ice fishing. We took a snowmobile out and went through spots that there was close to a foot of water on the ice. You could feel the snowmobile rolling on the water. I have never seen conditions like that. The fishing wasn't that good but it was nice to get out.
  Close to a foot of water on the ice? :o  I think I would wait till next year. ;)  Especially with a snowmobile! :P ;D

Wayne

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2014, 07:21:57 am »

the rain Friday evening into Saturday morning really slopped up the ice .
im taking a break till cooler temps later in the week.
also fished Friday evening in the rain and the bite was off.
im gonna check the river this morning   and hopefully fish some steelhead,

Offline RyanR

« Reply #65 on: January 12, 2014, 08:29:22 am »
KHalverson I see you live by me. I am in Twin Lake. That was White Lake that I was on yesterday. I heard they did good there last weekend.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2014, 05:39:25 pm »
KHalverson I see you live by me. I am in Twin Lake. That was White Lake that I was on yesterday. I heard they did good there last weekend.
yep pretty close.
seems as if the bite was on everywhere last weekend.
rivers still closed out.
the water is on the rise.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2014, 07:45:13 pm »
Wayne I gotta to go to Havre next month for a hockey tourney... The grandson's playing... I'll can't go fishing but I'll drink your merican beer and eat a jalapeno monster burger at the Gallery...
Steve feel your pain.. Doing nothing but dragging fans and heat around argggghhhhhhhh........ cold and windy haven't fished 2weeks going through withdrawels.....
Thanks leroy
     Here ya go Leroy, do you ever get this far down to play hockey?  You might be able to get a Moosehead, or LaBatts, while you're there. ;)
                                                                                Wayne

Offline Stoker

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2014, 10:44:46 am »
Don't get that far down as of yet... As for beer when I'm in a foriegn country I drink the local fair... Didn't go fishing this weekend wind was howling.. Nice weather all week till Leroy wants to fish on Saturday... Go figure
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Stoker

« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:03 pm »
A freind from saskcatchewan.. His idea of icefishing in Mexico
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »
managed a small mess of blue gills and crappie this evening.
marked a ton of fish but the bite was off some still not bad for under 2 hours.
Kevin

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2014, 08:35:41 pm »
Nice catch Kevin.
Those right there are my favorite.
But going through the ice for them would be tough for me.... :) ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline seabass

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2014, 09:52:51 pm »
nice mess of fish ya got there Kevin.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Stoker

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2014, 04:39:12 pm »
Nice catch Kevin
Thanks Leroy