Author Topic: Tomahawk ( Completed ) pg.2  (Read 13836 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Tomahawk ( Completed ) pg.2
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:44:40 am »
 Fellas, I made something I was pretty happy with today, thought I'd share it and see what ya think. I made knife cases but never tried my hand at a hawk case. Trying to do this KHalverson railroad spike head some justice. Still have to oil her up and burnish the edges and then put a handle in...Will make the belt loop tomorrow...Thanks for looking...
                                                        Don
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:11:06 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tomahawk Sheath
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 12:57:30 am »
Nice work, Don and it will protect you and the hawk.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:04:35 am »
 Thanks Pat, yea I was having nightmares of carrying it in my belt...It will actually shave the hair of my arm. It's for when I run out of arrows and bullets.  >:D
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »
Don
that sheath looks great.
I cannot wait to see the finished package.
Kevin

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 08:04:47 pm »
              Got the hawk on a solid piece of hickory and a good deep wedge to hold her down. Got to figure out a design for the handle now. Maybe scallops or some burned in designs.
              Kevin, thanks, yea I'm enjoying all this...will post progress as I go until finished, might be slow though.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 08:08:52 pm by burchett.donald »

Offline stickbender

Re: Tomahawk Sheath ( progress ) pics
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 10:15:04 pm »

Very nice work!  I wouldn't scallop the hande, but would either do some wood burning, design, inlays, or light relief, carving, like a vine, or snake entwined around the handle. or various totems, like the owl on the scabbard, deer, or elk head, buffalo head, moosehead, (Dang, that reminds me I am out of Pabst!!) bear, hog, turkey, mountain lion, etc.  You could have two snakes, crisscrossing, around the handle, and ending up with a head on each side, and a tail on each side, with the head or heads, at or near the hawk head, or at the butt of the handle.  You could end up with the heads on edge of the handle, and facing ahead, rather than facing towards the edge of the hawk head., or just have a snake on each side, ending up, facing the hawk edge.  Sorry, just got to thinking....... not what I am used to doing. ::) :P ;D  Again, nice work.  Are you going to stain the handle?

Wayne

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 10:53:23 pm »
  Wayne,
             I never tried carving but thought about wood burning some deer tracks and maybe a few brass tacks. Half eye (Rich) posted a beauty a while back that got me started on this one. His had scallops and looked nice...Thanks for the ideas, still undecided...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 07:34:10 am by burchett.donald »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:03:34 pm »
Hmmm, didja know that one of the worst predators on hawks are great horned owls?  Now you have a sheath in direct conflict with what it is supposed to be protecting.  Bad juju!  Baaaaad!

All that juju stuff aside, that's a nice design for a hawk sheath.  It will ride nice and secure to protect the blade and it's user, but still come off easily enough when needed!  Good work.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:00:02 pm »
  Thanks JW, I didn't know that hawks and owls were enemies...Sure hope these two get along. Still working on the handle, maybe I can finish this weekend...

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Tomahawk ( progress ) pics
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:25:48 am »
  Got the handle reduced and sanded...Took a pencil and sketched a barred owl and a big buck track...
     My plan is to come back over with a wood burner...Got some scalloping to do and maybe some brass inlay or tacks...Still thinking :-\

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Tomahawk ( progress ) pics
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 03:57:10 am »
 OK, got the wood burner hot and went for it...First time ever with a wood burner...The Cross will be brass inlay when I get back in the shop.

Offline stickbender

Re: Tomahawk ( woodburning) pics added
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 05:56:59 pm »

Well for the first time with a wood burner, you did very well!  8)  There are various styles, and types, and sizes of pryographic, tools available.  You can do feathers, right down to the little barbs on the feathers, and such.  A lot of the decoy, and bird carvers use them.  I like it!  Are you going to slice grooves for the cross?  You can use fret wire, and or German Silver, and flatten one edge, and insert that edge, and use epoxy if you want, and or just pound the edge in, and then you can use various tipped punches, and chisels, to shape the cross, into a plain cross, or a more fancy one, like the French ones, with the flared ends.  Then light file, sand, and polish it.  You did that Tomahawk sweet justice!  Just keep it out of J.W.'s reach. ;)  Especially with the Owl on it! ;)     
                                                                                Wayne

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »
Thats some good looking work Don, cool project.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:33 pm »
 Thanks stickbender and Badly Bent for checking in...

Used a sharpened 1/8 drill bit (butt end) and carved out the cross. Took some 1/8 brass stock and epoxied it in. Maybe file it down the coming weekend...Wayne I used what I had laying around the shop, never done this before. One day I might go high tech and get some good tools for these projects...

Offline 4dog

Re: Tomahawk ( Brass Cross) pics added
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 10:05:41 am »
looking fiiine!  doin that hawkhead justice!
"SET" is always there !!!