Author Topic: Working on a static recurve  (Read 20976 times)

Offline adb

Re: Working on a static recurve
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2014, 11:50:50 am »
Thanks, Marc.

Offline ajooter

« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2014, 11:59:22 am »
My old man is one hell of a wood worker....but all it takes is that one time when you have a mental lapse.  Hes lucky he still has all his fingers.  I was there when he had a "run in" with his table saw.  I dont have pics but you get the idea.  I hope you heal quick...cant wait to see your static when its done.  I like that medical super glue for cuts or scrapes on my finger.  Yours isn't really at a joint but sometimes it works better then a bandaid.  Good luck just the same!!   :D

Offline adb

« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2014, 03:33:18 pm »
Thumb seems to be healing up pretty good. Dead flap of skin was removed, and it's filling in pretty good. Doesn't hurt much anymore... just when I bump it... which I've done several times in the last few days. Probably hurt less getting kicked in the balls! Maybe not.

Doc says no skin grafting required. Yee hah.

Offline adb

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »
I'm going to be a downer and call for a blow up at the fades unless you can move the bend off that area. The radical scoop out of a bulbous handle can be a severe violation of fibers.

You called it Pat. Broke her at one of the fades. Too much cut out for the bulbous handle and as Marc said, no handle extended into the fades. You were both right. She didn't explode, but I clearly heard the dreaded 'tick' on the tiller tree. Had it tillered out to 40#@22". On closer inspection, she broke right into the fade at the side, likely starting from a grain run out at the bulbous handle.

Offline adb

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2014, 01:34:48 pm »
So, in the good Canadian tradition (aka Women's Olympic Hockey) of never giving up... on with round three. Good grief. Sorry, couldn't resist the dig about the hockey! Sorry, everyone... it's our game. Just sayin'.  8)

New glue up. Maple backed ipe this time (go with what you know!). No bulbous handle... straight grip. I made it 2" longer also, so it's 62" ntn this time. Hickory static tips, pin nocks roughed in.

Offline adb

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2014, 01:37:47 pm »
Haven't done any hand tillering on the belly yet, but here's the first look on the tiller tree with a 3" low brace. I would like some help with this one from the static masters out there please.

Pulling it gently to 30-35#. I'm looking for 45#@26".

Offline bow101

« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2014, 01:39:03 pm »
Looks like a lot of Grain run off on the tips.  Or is that ok..?   
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline adb

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2014, 01:39:29 pm »
Looks to me like I need to leave the fades alone, and get the mid limb to tips working. Agreed?

Offline adb

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2014, 01:40:07 pm »
Looks like a lot of Grain run off on the tips.  Or is that ok..?

Not worried... they'll be static and not bending.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2014, 01:49:31 pm »
That's how I'd start adb
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2014, 01:56:52 pm »
yep, i'd stay away from the fades for now, you can always work back to them
and about that hockey thing, ouch!!
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2014, 02:24:56 pm »
Sorry, man... it's our game. What can I say? Did you watch the men's game? Canada kicks a$$ on the ice... big or small.

I did a couple of scraping/exercising sessions. Up to 4" low brace now, and pulling to 35#. I completely left the first 4" of each limb past the fades alone. Looking pretty good I think. Opinions?

Offline bubby

« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:35 pm »
you want a little salt to rub that in?
yep looking good on this end
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »
I'd really like to finish tillering this today, but I have to stop now. My thumb is healing nicely, but it's too tender and sore to keep going. It really hurts when I'm bracing and unbracing. It's been a week today, and it's healing quicker than I thought, but it's saying no more. Further progress on the weekend perhaps. Thanks, guys!

Offline adb

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »
you want a little salt to rub that in?
yep looking good on this end

Hey, Bubbster... you'd be walkin' a wee bit taller and gloating just a smidge if you left us hung-dog on the ice in front of the whole world. We're proud to beat the Yanks cuz you're good. If you sucked, who (including us) would care? I think it's a really healthy rivalry that makes hockey a great game. The Canadian / American women seem to take it a bit far, but women fight dirty!