Author Topic: Room Tempurature Recurve  (Read 14916 times)

Offline adb

Room Tempurature Recurve
« on: March 05, 2014, 03:33:45 pm »
Sorry about the multiple topics for this bow, but it's been quite a journey. After two unsuccessful attempts, I finally put this baby to bed. It's off to it's new home tomorrow morning, so I'd better post some pics! This bow, and it's design, has really tested my skill. I believe it has definitely made me a better bowyer. OK... enough chit-chat... here's the goods:

62" NTN, 45#@27", maple backed ipe static recurve. The static recurves are not heat induced (hence the name), but cut one-piece from stock and then glued to the top of the belly lamination with a horizontal kerf splice, with the maple backing overlapping the taper to the belly of the recurved tip.
Maple, yew and ipe in the grip and riser, with the static tips cut from hickory with osage tip overlays.

It's still winter here... -20C this morning, with lots of snow... sorry no outside shots at full draw.

I have never been as frustrated and proud of a single bow in my whole life! This was definitely outside the box for me, and in 10 years of bow making, I've never felt more relieved to finish a bow!

Offline adb

Re: Room Tempurature Recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 03:35:27 pm »
I knew string alignment would be critical to avoid twisting while tillering, but that worked out well.

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 03:36:58 pm »
Couple more shots of the tips and brace profiles...

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 03:37:46 pm »
I would like to see some closeups of the static recurves for training purposes.    ;D

Grady

Doh! I posted too soon.  Thanks
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:39:07 pm »
Lastly... unbraced profile showing minimal set... maybe 1/2" freshly unbraced. And, of course, the money shot...

The full draw has already been posted in another thread, but I don't have an opportunity to retake a pic and I wanted to include it in this thread.

I hope you like it!! I sure do! It's very smooth to shoot, does not stack at all with the very low string angle at full draw, and it seems easily as fast as some of my heavier draw weight longbows. I'm going to have to build one of these for myself!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:43:08 pm by adb »

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 03:44:23 pm »
Turned out very nice, looks perfect and a work to be proud of I'd say.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:55:50 pm »
ahh the proud papa  ;) and you should be that is a sweet bow and quite the adventure to get her to completion, nice bend, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »
Not bad at all for a "first" attempt.  ;) You definitely need one for your own use. There is just something about a static.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:02:49 pm »
Not bad at all for a "first" attempt.  ;) You definitely need one for your own use. There is just something about a static.

Thanks Pat! A 'first' third attempt! This one took me to the edge and I had a look over the precipice before pullin' her back! I'm glad I didn't give up... this thing is sweet! Truth be told, I already have another glue up done  ;)
Maple backed again, but maple static tips this time and no pin nocks, plus it's 2" shorter. It's ready to tiller out... I'll post it when she's done. Thanks, again! 

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 04:10:51 pm »
ahh the proud papa  ;) and you should be that is a sweet bow and quite the adventure to get her to completion, nice bend, bub

Thanks, Bubby! Proud papa indeed! I'm actually glad this thing is out the door... it's been all consuming for a couple months now! Good grief. I'm gonna starve to death at this rate.  :o

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 04:21:06 pm »
That's a looker, Adam. That is a bow to be proud of.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »
Really nice...Bet you wish you could keep it yourself!
Thats the way I feel when I build and thats when I know its ready to send out.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 04:38:24 pm »
Great color combination and I love the pic looking down the string.  Very nice tips I like the design.  Great bow.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 04:40:44 pm »
Really great bow. Good job!
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline 4dog

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 04:54:11 pm »
soooo...is that going to TEXAS???!!    8)
"SET" is always there !!!