Author Topic: Belt Sanders - the one power tool I won't be without!  (Read 7706 times)

Offline dmenzies1950

Re: Belt Sanders - the one power tool I won't be without!
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2014, 08:09:15 pm »
A belt sander is my favorite tool! I do most of my tillering with it. I also use my spindle sander. I've been told that it isn't primitive, but I think that most of us cheat a little when it comes down to that.
Dale 
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 08:42:16 pm »
I don't doubt the effectiveness of it and may end up getting one some day but...  For me I don't currently use any power tools once the wood is in stave form.  Using hand rasps on the tips and handle area is probably my favorite part.  Taking my time makes it more personal for me.  Now I don't mind if others cheat...   :P  ;D Just kidding!!   >:D There is no right or wrong way to go about it and I see the great value of a good belt sander and the beauty it can produce.  However there is something special to look down at 3 or 4 simple metal tools and know they were all that was used in making my bow. 
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 11:16:59 pm »
I'm all hand tools here even for harvesting my wood and I don't think I'll ever use power tools
I like osage