Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112119 times)

Offline PatM

The Showdown
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2014, 11:58:54 pm »
There you go adb.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 01:56:32 am »
Went to the store an bought a whole box of popcorn
And green tea, I'm ready for this pissing contest  ;D :laugh:
Clatskanie, Oregon

mikekeswick

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:18 am »
Today I might just glue up a thick 62 inch stave....... >:D I'm up for a fun challenge.
Adb - 100 @ 26 flatbow at 60 ntn is definately possible. Of course it is! Width to thickness ratio determines the level of stress. Adjust until it doesn't blow or take excessive set....just like any other bow.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2014, 05:31:56 am »
Well, I'm sure glad I asked my trilam questions. Turned out to be more interesting then an action movie!

I'll be waiting to see these bows.... :P

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 05:45:29 am »
Was it 60" ntn or oal?
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2014, 05:54:33 am »
60" OAL
100#@26"
Stiff handled flatbow, pyramid style
No: recurves, flipped tips, sinew, statics, composite horsetype bows, or anything else. A flatbow.

This gon be gooood :D

Offline Wiley

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2014, 06:37:41 am »
Is there any reason why this wouldn't be possible with a number of different bow woods? Logic tells me that if you want a 60" stave that pulls 100 lbs in a flat bow you just need to make it suitably wide enough that it doesn't explode or take excessive set.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2014, 07:34:37 am »
Wych elm would be suitable wood. Im sure I could do it, but I have no need to spend my time and energy to prove it....the work involved in reducing and tillering 3" wide flatbow limbs are excessive.

Ill gladly follow the thread tho....if for nothing more, then to feed my "contempt" for the snobbery surrounding the yew Elb's ;)

Cheers

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:01 am »
AROOGAH AROOOGAH... the following is pure lies
I've already done it ::)
It has 30" of deflex, 1" reflex...
Draws 100# at 32"  O:)
Rather a high brace and not much cast tho'  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PatM

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2014, 08:41:54 am »
Bowmaking 101 tells us that it is totally possible. Someone skipped that class ;)
 Hardly a pissing contest, more outright amazement that someone who fancies themselves as pretty knowledgeable would make it seem like someone was claiming they could get to Mars on foot.  ;D

Offline Badger

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2014, 08:45:18 am »
  The current world broadhead flight  record is held by a 100# hickory, very dry, stiff handled flatbow, it was about 64" long, 2" wide. The shooter was short drawing it a bit. Jeremia Rutherford who pased away a few years ago, way too young. I would have guessed the bow to be about 60# by looking at it.

Marlon Torres AKA "Heavy Bows" owns a 250#  72" long hickory flatbow with stiff handle, it is a beast.

blackhawk

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:06 am »
To be honest I don't even know why this is such a challenge.... ???

Adam do you honestly think it can't be done? Or are you taking a page from my book and goading people into making a bow  >:D ya know I've been known to do that ;)..lol  :laugh:

100# for a 60" bow? Pfffff....come on...that's not even close to being impossible or too much of a challenge....now make it 200# and now were talking

I'm sure a nice clean straight piece of osage,yew,hickory,elm,or hophornbeam with a nice flat to very low crown at the most can easily handle those stats as a selfbow

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2014, 09:45:03 am »
To be honest I don't even know why this is such a challenge.... ???

Adam do you honestly think it can't be done? Or are you taking a page from my book and goading people into making a bow  >:D ya know I've been known to do that ;)..lol  :laugh:

100# for a 60" bow? Pfffff....come on...that's not even close to being impossible or too much of a challenge....now make it 200# and now were talking

I'm sure a nice clean straight piece of osage,yew,hickory,elm,or hophornbeam with a nice flat to very low crown at the most can easily handle those stats as a selfbow

It took you long enough to chime in.  There are many bowyers here that can easily do this and I knew you were one of them. 

I would have thought Adam was of that caliber as well but apparently not.

The problem with some people is a lack of imagination and the inability to extrapolate, it would be a shame if Adam was like this.

I'm going to move some of the posts from the other thread so it may get a bit messy here for a bit
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2014, 09:52:50 am »
Could you let us know why you think this is impossible? Have you tried doing similar yourself?

One thing you may not know Pat is that Adam works for the school board in Alberta and he is starting to think this is his classroom and as such can generate debate with his "students"

Now I said this thread has been highjacked enough.  Don't make me start throwing MY weight around here.  Start another thread.

Huh??? I live in Saskatchewan. I'm retired from a career in the medical field.

My mistake.  I thought I remembered your e-mail address as ending with edu.ca.  Must be thinking of someone else

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Re: Tri-Lam Bow. Why?
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2014, 10:03:40 am »
    I will volunteer to build a 60" stiff handled recurve 100# drawing 26",  if I can find a piece of white oak straight enough and 4" wide, 1 1/2" thick, if not I will do a tri lam. Try to have it by next monday.

I don't know why you would want such a big piece of Oak Steve.  All you should need for such a bow is at most 2 1/2" wide limbs, and 2" wide limbs with good elastic wood like HHB or Osage.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com