Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 111918 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2014, 10:08:41 am »
By the way, and I'm sure Adam will be terribly disappointed, but I will not be joining this little showdown.  My plate is full and I have better things to do.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

blackhawk

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2014, 10:23:17 am »
I don't blame ya for not Marc....I wouldn't either..I'm not taking the bait....to me it would be a waste of my time,and even more importantly a waste of a really nice stave..as I wouldn't shoot the bow after it was done and it wood just sit n collect dust,and I'd have a hard time finding anyone who would wanna shoot such a bow...talk about uncomfortable.

BUT...I'd sure like to see someone else make one,and can't wait to see one/it cus I know someone around here can pull it off  ;D

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2014, 10:29:32 am »
Come on Chris put an end to this
Make one and bring it to Marshall we can let the Canadian warbow folks shoot it then raffle it off !
Have fun
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2014, 10:51:14 am »
Blackhawk,
You make the bow and I will gladly shoot it. >:D

blackhawk

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2014, 10:52:20 am »
So is the offer open to everyone who makes one gets an adb bbi recurve? If so,I'd like mine to be 50@28" please  :P.... Ya know I got a couple distraction free days coming this week of nothing but playing with bows n my buddies down in tennersee  ::)  ??? I'll have plenty of time to make one,AND in front of lots of credible witnesses  :P  :laugh:

So what's the "official" rules n guidelines..I see one person saying one thing,and another saying another thing?  ???

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2014, 11:03:42 am »
I know Pat and Steve can easily do this.

My understanding was 60" long with no mention of draw length but Pat did say 26", which can be done easily enough, but I think a 25" draw would give the bow more durability.

You understand of course that at a 26" draw this bow would be pulling, by extrapolation, something around 140# at 30".  That's a handful by any means and you would need a Bear to shoot it.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:40 am »
By the way, and I'm sure Adam will be terribly disappointed, but I will not be joining this little showdown.  My plate is full and I have better things to do.

I'm not surprised Marc. Didn't think you could do it. I don't think it's impossible, never said that. I just don't think you can do it. My only point for this whole exercise is... don't shoot your mouth off, unless you're willing to back it up. My original challenge still exists... to you.

Also, as someone pointed out in a PM, the original claim was you didn't need to go wider than 1.5" at the fades, so I guess that should likely be added to the criteria for design.

Offline adb

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:59 am »
The offer of a static recurve applies to Pat. Only.

Now, I'm done debating. I can't think of anything else to add, so I'll be waiting for Pat or Marc to build this bow. Anyone else is free to do so, but they'll be doing it for their own satisfaction and my admiration. Nothing more. Somebody prove me wrong, please. I'd love to see a 60" 100#@26" flatbow that is no more than 1.5" at the fades.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2014, 11:40:58 am »

I'm not surprised Marc. Didn't think you could do it. I don't think it's impossible, never said that. I just don't think you can do it. My only point for this whole exercise is... don't shoot your mouth off, unless you're willing to back it up. My original challenge still exists... to you.

Also, as someone pointed out in a PM, the original claim was you didn't need to go wider than 1.5" at the fades, so I guess that should likely be added to the criteria for design.

A bit pathetic Adam

P.S.  Go back and read the post but the talk of 1.5" in width had to do with backed Ipe

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2014, 11:43:10 am »
OK... having given this a tiny bit more thought, how about this? I'll make a backed ipe static recurve for the first person who makes this bow. This is totally letting PatM off the hook. I'm hesitant to do this, but what the heck. He still does have the opportunity to pony up. As long as everyone is OK with that? I think this makes it fair for everyone, and provides equal incentive for all. Time of post will determine who wins. Time limit is 1 month. Winner pays shipping.

Bow specs: 60" OAL, 100#@26", flatbow, stiff handle, 1.5" at the fades, must last more than a few shots. No recurves, statics, horsebows, reflex, etc. It must be a flatbow. It must be verified by youtube video or third party, clearly showing draw weight and length.

Offline adb

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2014, 11:45:28 am »

A bit pathetic Adam

Why pathetic? You made a claim, I asked you to put your money where your mouth is, but you can't, or won't. How is that pathetic? If you're talking pathetic, I think it's pathetic you won't pony up. Maybe you should stop talking and start building?

Offline adb

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2014, 11:47:37 am »

A bit pathetic Adam

P.S.  Go back and read the post but the talk of 1.5" in width had to do with backed Ipe

It sure did. So, make your bow out of backed ipe. I don't mind. Your claim didn't specify otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:51:58 am by adb »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:14 am »
Still pathetic. 

You should have stayed quiet on this one and played the part that Chris offered you

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline adb

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2014, 11:50:16 am »
Still pathetic. 

You should have stayed quiet on this one and played the part that Chris offered you

I should have stayed quiet? Now that's funny coming out of your mouth!  ::)

Offline Badger

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2014, 11:58:47 am »
  It gives me a good excuse to build a heavy flight bow for the self bow class, hopefully someone will show up at the flights that is able and willing to shoot it.