Author Topic: The Showdown  (Read 112241 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: The Showdown
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2014, 01:27:52 pm »
I'm starting to think it must be second nature for the Queen's subjects to argue in circles. This thread is starting to remind me of some of the senseless arguments on the War Bow forum.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2014, 01:32:32 pm »
I'm starting to think it must be second nature for the Queen's subjects to argue in circles. This thread is starting to remind me of some of the senseless arguments on the War Bow forum.
Oh no it doesn't... ::) ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2014, 01:34:04 pm »
How does religious debate sound now Marc? O:) Kinda the same...you have believers, and non-believers.  :laugh: Personally I don't think it would be that hard....and no I am not interested. :)

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Electricfrontporch

« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2014, 01:42:07 pm »
Hey adb......just finished it......if I got the trajectory correct the arrows should be landing in your backyard soon
Don't Panic!

Offline son of massey

« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2014, 02:11:59 pm »
So, the glue line will change the hysteresis of the wood? How? The gluing happens at the molecular level. A good glue line really isn't a line at all. Just because two different woods are glued together, doesn't mean the hysteresis of each type of wood will magically change. The entire hysteresis of the total limb may change depending on the combination of woods used. Sounds to me like you're guessing.

Depends on what you mean I guess. A chemical change does occur when you glue something-but only within the glue. The same chemistry happens if you pour your glue on the sidewalk. It is a physical process that you are observing when your glue actually holds two things together.

If you mean that a change at the molecular level is occurring in the substrate, than you are proposing a confused system because your next statement suggests that changes (like hysteresis) do not magically occur in the wood because they are glued together. However, one would exactly expect a change in the physical properties of a substance after undergoing a chemical change!

SOM

Offline son of massey

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2014, 02:32:55 pm »
Also, I don't know that hysteresis is an unlikely candidate for energy loss. I think about multiple laminations as having multiple compression and tension surfaces, each with their own neutral plane. Of course any internal tension surface is backed and so supported such that failure at the tension line is unlikely, and similarly the compression face is supported by the next tension surface down. The forces going into each of these laminations, and interacting between them, are just multiple places to lose efficiency when you release the string. Heat loss is a possible energy sink (and yes, I am guessing), but so is reformation of the material surfaces.

SOM

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2014, 02:53:59 pm »
Wow! :o :o
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »

Lets post bows.
Knapper
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 03:04:21 pm by Knapper »
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:55 pm »
This stuff is way over my head. All I do is remove wood until I have a bow. Don't ask me why it happens or how it happens, it just happens....usually!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2014, 03:10:01 pm »
climb aboard the CRAZY TRAIN!!!!! >:D
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2014, 03:14:10 pm »
Build bows or crochet!!!!! >:D
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2014, 03:51:47 pm »
I've been following this one with amusement. I've been making bows for many moons and one thing I noticed in the get-go; there is no shortage of egos in our craft. But I happen to think that is a good thing. It says something about us as a group. We are mostly self starters and diehard individualist. Those qualities, cause us to get crossways at times. It's kind of like sweet and sour sauce!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2014, 03:54:09 pm »
I've been following this one with amusement. I've been making bows for many moons and one thing I noticed in the get-go; there is no shortage of egos in our craft. But I happen to think that is a good thing. It says something about us as a group. We are mostly self starters and diehard individualist. Those qualities, cause us to get crossways at times. It's kind of like sweet and sour sauce!

:)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline adb

Re: The Showdowng
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2014, 04:20:12 pm »
Ok. I get the message. You guys can make it whatever width you want, within reason. Come on blackhawk, don't back out now! This is just getting good. If anyone can do this, I'd bet it would be you.

Don't start dropping like flies you guys. Come on!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 06:13:30 pm by adb »

Offline PatM

« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2014, 04:33:36 pm »
I was never backing out.