Author Topic: number of lamination ????  (Read 4768 times)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
number of lamination ????
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:38:53 pm »
What would be the difference in a bow that would have 3 laminations to make up a total thickness verses a bow that might have 4 or 5 laminations to make up the same thickness.  I am asking on wood laminations only....not using glass

Offline Jesse

Re: number of lamination ????
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:04:27 pm »
I think the more lams the better to a degree. You wouldnt want to end up with thicker glue joints than wood :D Also with more than 3 you run the risk of having such a thin piece on the belly that when you tiller you end up on the glue line. 5 lams might be better for glass bows where everything is measured exactly and little if any tillering is done
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline markinengland

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »
I think a lot would depend on how the lams are put together.
Most bows have just one tension strong backing lamination added to a compression strong belly.
If the backing is glued on into reflex then a performance advantage is gained greater than simply glueing the backing on straight.
There would not be a performance advantage if 3 , 4 or 5 thin lams were glued up into the same reflex because there would be no locked in tension, the glue lines would be inert rather than working. There may however be a durability improvement as any weaknesses would be evened out.
There are ways in which 5 or more lams can be glued together to aid performance, and I wish I knew for sure what they are! Apparently glueing the belly and first lam into extreme reflex, then the next into less, and less and less until the backing goes on with the least reflex works well. I haven't reid this though.
Mark

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 02:44:39 pm »
I think the biggest advantage to more than 2 lams is it is easier to attain the shape you want. I have always gotten the best performance from simply using a tension strong backing on a compression strong belly. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:44:42 pm »
I think the biggest advantage to more than 2 lams is it is easier to attain the shape you want. I have always gotten the best performance from simply using a tension strong backing on a compression strong belly. Steve
Steve, what about adding a light weight core to increase the distance between the belly and back without increasing the mass as much?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:07:15 am »
Justin, there is an advantage to a lighter core. I seldom use a core material but i recently built an elb that had a maple belly, maple back and poplar core. I just kind of through it together so it is not much to look at but I was really surprised at how well it shot. Maybe tomorrow I will retest it so I can post some stats on it. Steve

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 02:28:09 am »
Thanks Steve, I would be glad to know how it works. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:04:51 pm »
Of my favorite bows that I have made so far is a tri-lam with boo back, 1/8" ipe core (with additional footlong 1/8 ipe power lam strip in middle), and osage belly. Straight longbow.  I was a little underwhelmed by a repetition of the same set up except with yew belly and hickory back. 

I just finished a 3-lam with hickory back, BL core and mesquite belly that is also a pleaser.  that turned out to be a real nice combo.  The mesquite is very strong in compression and one of these days I'll try one with bamboo.

Steve's right about the ease of shaping bows with lots of thin lams.  I've never got around to it though.

Dave

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 04:15:46 pm »
Dave, there are quite a few guys using the ipe as a center core, even though it is heavy it adds lateral stability and will allow much narrower limbs, so in the long run it may not be adding any weight at all.