Author Topic: opinions  (Read 3737 times)

TAGGERD

opinions
« on: January 09, 2008, 09:03:34 pm »
the three on top and one in the middle are arrowheads any ideas on the others would be appreciated.i think the second picture is a spear point broken and may be turned wrong

[attachment deleted by admin]

TAGGERD

Re: opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 09:04:54 pm »
oh and the last piece bottom right is a fossil bone

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:14:52 pm »
It would be easier to tell more about them seeing them in person, but I would guess that the bottom left is a primary thinning flake from reducing a big spall or nodule, the middle right one looks like a discarded preform,  and from the steep angled mostly unifacial flaking on the one in the bottom pic, I'd say that it's been used as a scraper.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 10:28:06 pm »
  The top 3 are not arrow heads. They are Atlatl dart heads. I believe the rest are preforms in one shape or another.   I will correct myself. I saw the quarter after posting and the woodland time period. But I still think the others are preforms in one stege or another.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 10:30:41 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

tristan

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:42:41 am »
i hate labaling what stuff is for. everything there has so many uses. however the one in the middle of the top pic appears to be an awl

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 09:10:06 pm »
 Looks like many resharpenings on those top points. I agree that they might be atlatl points (wide in the stem) but as was also was commented,there were alot of uses for any sharp edge.(Did you see the blade on the icemans knife?) crude spalls or pre-forms. yeah.  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington