Author Topic: Bear Carving ( it's done for better or worse )  (Read 19343 times)

Offline half eye

Bear Carving ( it's done for better or worse )
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:48:44 pm »
I'm carving a black bear for a friend and thought ya might like to go along. Dan Hamblin sent me a picture called the great Bear but I cant seem to get it to load in my computer so I can attach it here, so maybe he'll see this and add the picture so you know what the "stance" is all about. Basically hge will be standing on a large log looking at the viewer.

There are 5 picks of the bear right off the bandsaw, then some more as it is being rough shaped. so you can see how it's starting to allmost look like a bear. Any questions please speak up. This block of wood was made from 2 pieces of 4" X 5" X 12" glued together to form a roughly 8 X 5 X 12
rich

sorry I did not see the change in # of pics to post so have to put 'em on in 3 entries
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:20:08 am by half eye »

Offline half eye

Re: Bear Carving for a friend
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »
next ones

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 12:51:32 pm »
last one

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 01:08:54 pm »
Looking pretty good so far, Rich. Can't wait to follow along.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 07:31:35 pm »
What kind of wood do you use, Rich?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 07:46:12 pm »
I like the stance/pose on that bear. I watched along as your eagle and pike carving came together and was truly impressed by the process and your carving talent. Keep the pictures coming Rich, I'm liking this bear already.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline half eye

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 08:07:43 pm »
Thanks fellas, The wood is Tupelo in this carving. Get it from from La. also use white pine for power carving (rotory tools) and basswood (linden) for blade carving. Although you can use any kind of wood with any carving method. I've made "sculptural" carvings from black walnut for example and used both methods. For the realistic carvings though I preffer the 3 kinds above. Glad ya like the progress photos I'll try not to get to pushy,eh?
rich

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 08:38:04 pm »
How cool. I'd love to try that with soapstone. ;D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 10:37:36 pm »
  Really nice Rich...I will enjoy watching this bear come to life...
                                                                                                  Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 07:41:22 am »
Lookin good, so far, Rich! I guess with all that snow you'll have plenty of time inside for carvin!! ::)
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:56 am »
You are very talented and as far as I am concerned, you can't pot too many pics nor be detailed enough.   I would prove someday to be able to carve like you.   Btw, have you seen the box of money carvings by the guy who posts a lot on sawmill creek?    Was wondering what you thought.   iMO, as fun to watch as your eagle was. 

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 11:40:16 am »
Thanks for the nice comments fellas. I did some body refining and also got the feet and legs oriented correctly for the pigeon toed walk they have. Also time to take care of the one errant saw mark and the poor glue joint.....most guys use a epoxy putty to fill these but I like to have them mostly all wood so there's some pics of how I fix that by gluing in some tupelo wedges. That way the carving and wood burning looks the same and no "joints" show.

Hopefully be able to get body well along tomorrow and start working on his log and rocks.

DB, Ken thanks fellas, RBL no I have no clue about that fella.

rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 11:41:11 am »
repair pics

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 01:17:16 am »
I am stoked to follow along on another one of your masterpieces Rich.  This bear is taking shape quickly.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2014, 06:43:27 am »
Man that bear is looking good, very nice work so far, looking forward to seeing more as you proceed. :) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good