Author Topic: Where did your family come from?  (Read 23956 times)

Offline DC

Re: Where did your family come from?
« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2015, 06:38:59 pm »
What does Mexican even mean???

Same as American and Canadian. A little bit of the people that belong here and a lot of the rest of us.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2015, 10:04:29 pm »
Hell,my brother has a metis card so I guess it dosn't take much!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sleek

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2015, 10:37:51 pm »
I read a study where the Cherokee came from Argentina and even shared a language between the natives there and here.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline neuse

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2015, 07:39:02 am »
90+ percent German.
My family came over on the boat with Prince Solms Braunfels, landed at Indianola, TX. and then settled in New Braunfels.
I was born in New Braunfels and grew up in Solms, TX.

I can't remeber right now, I am either fourth or fifth born generation in Texas.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 10:39:46 am »
My dads grandpa and grandma got of the boat at Ellis island fresh from Poland. They moved to St. Louis Mo. My moms side well a little Native American (black foot) on her grandpas side and some Dutch on her mothers. I'm more polish and Native American than anything.(well more polish lol!)  This is the Galczynski crest.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:18:20 am by Scottski »
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 12:54:18 pm »
Dads side was English and choctaw. Moms side was Irish. i suppose we are all a little heinz 57 at this point.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline jayman448

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 02:21:43 pm »
my mother is Ukrainian and my father's name is originally polish. his mother was Romanian

Offline Traxx

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 04:24:58 pm »
i swear 85% of all Irish and Scottish people here in the U.S always say theyre part N.A.

And they probably do,at some point early in their history,in this country.The early immigrants to the Appalachian area,were there,before,"Society" was developed.Not many non native women,wanted to live out there then,so native women were married,who could already hack it out there.

My  Irish Father,came from that region,and apparently,he had a thing for Native women.All of his wives,were of Native blood.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2015, 07:48:53 pm »
I guess it depends on which part of your family tree you want to relate to.  The part that matters to me comes from North America, the rest comes from Europe.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Tower

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2015, 07:52:43 pm »
Amen to that!!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2015, 01:19:25 pm »
Great granny Jones dads momma momma, her dad was a mangum or mangrum. Not sure which. She was about 4'6 and stocky. She never slept in a bed amd spoke her own language. I grew up thinking we had cherokee from her but a checked the Dawes rolls and no Mangrum. Found that name in the choctaw. Thats how I figured Choctaw. No body back in the day cared to be known as NA. They hailed from N.Alabama so I think Im in the right area. Hard to tell for sure. Nobody cared to keep good records. Alot of disfunctionalism even back then.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Newindian

« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »
If you go back alittle further we are all africans
I like free stuff.

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2015, 11:09:43 pm »
Irish and Cherokee. Way back in the day my family ruled the kingdom of Ulster which was the southeastern part of Ireland. They actually fought against the british many times but eventually lost and were scattered. I have an ancestor who actually left Ireland and  became general of the Turkish army and then died in battle. As for my Cherokee side I can still remember my great grandmother who was full blooded. She was such a sweet ,strong, independent woman. Pretty cool the stuff you find out about your family when you hire someone to look up your family tree and history.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:34 pm »
Here's my family crest
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2015, 04:05:08 pm »
I'm kinda like Mr. Drums. German on one side and German on the other....
Yep, if the sexes were right, that would produce a "German"  Deutchlander.    My family on my Dad's side came from England, in the Wooten Underedge area.  One of my distant relatives on my Dad's side did quite a bit of research, and found we were there in 1500's, and evidence of Kimberly's being there long before that time, but the spelling was different.  They used an "E" between the "L" and "Y".  Could have been the same bunch, as it was common for one reason or another to change the spelling of ones name.  "Oh, no, your looking for the one with the E in the name, you have the wrong one, officer.
Anyway, one Thomas Kimberly was captain of the queens guard.  He emigrated to America and was the first settler in Connecticut.  I can't remember the city,or town, but there is supposed to be an OLD bible, listing Kimberly's as the first settlers in Connecticut.  Anyway, they were very affluent, with lots of land, cattle, and horses.  According to a will, the Father gave almost all the land, and live stock, to his Daughter, and only a small amount of land, and livestock to the Son, which describes what a misfit the Son must have been, as that was seldom done, normally all the inheritance went to the first Son, and the Daughter would receive a dowry, and was expected to marry, and let her husband take care of her.  After Connecticut, the Kimberly's moved to Texas, and then to Georgia, and down hill.  I asked my Dad, what happened to the prosperity of the Family, and  he said "Women and Booze"!  OK Dad, but what did they waste the money on? ::) ;D  Any who, my Father's Grandmother was full Cherokee.  He said she was the ugliest woman he had ever seen.  Smoked a corn cob pipe.  My Dad, and his brothers all had jet black hair, and even into his ninety's he had only a little grey, and a full head of hair..  Me, I look like a "Q" tip, with the center removed.  Comes from my Mother's side.  I have my Grandfathers elfin hair on my ears. My Uncles on my Dad's side had dark complexions.  My Dad was not so dark, but was never pale.  I don't know a lot about my Mother's ancestry.  But I do believe there were some "Injuns" hanging around the wood pile, as both my Grand father, and great grandfather, were both dark complexioned, and had the angular facial features.  I could see a Warbonnet on my Grandfather.
Don't know which tribe it would be though.  I believe my Mother's ancestors were either english, or Irish, as the name was Ward.  Might have been some German in there somewhere, as the Wards were definitely hard headed!  Oh, yeah, She was from Alabama.  Not sure of any other residences, except here in Florida.  Anyway, that is the tale of the rise and fall of the Kimberlys. ;), or Kimberley's.  Oh, one story goes, during war between the States, Thomas Kimberly, in Georgia, around the Macon, Eastman, or Cochran, area, or somewhere in that particular stretch of Ga. was a mason.  When the %$#%! Yankees, came through looting, they were taking anything and everything they wanted, and when the Lt. got to the bottom of a  hope chest, he found a book of Free Masonry, and put it back along with everything that was in the chest, and ordered the rest of the troops to return everything they took.  The %$#* Yankee Lt. was a Mason also.  They did take his old rifle though.  Which didn't stop ol Thomas from going out to his forge, and make another one, like the one they took! ;)
There was a relative in Jacksonville, that had an old powder horn, with a silver cup on a small chain attached to the top as she described the powder measure, but the horn was stolen, and later recovered, but the silver powder measure was missing.
I would love to see that horn.  Must have been before the decline of the Family. ::)

Wayne