Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 350983 times)

Offline sleek

Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #1050 on: September 02, 2015, 11:39:16 am »
I get your point pat and agree. Point being, its a bow trade not a bow order. Do your best to make one the other guy can use, but perfectly is not a requirement. 

Whip tillering... wanna fix it? Pike it. Shorten the limbs, that makes the tips stiffer, then weaken the inner limbs to take stress of the outer,  and voila, you have a nice bow tiller. And you wont loose any weight.

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1051 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:14 am »
That will make it worse, much worse.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #1052 on: September 02, 2015, 01:00:00 pm »
Explaine please?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #1053 on: September 02, 2015, 01:07:14 pm »
If it was acceptable to my recipient I would start over. I'm truly giving my honest opinion.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1054 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:50 pm »
I personally would be fine with that Fred. But I don't know if Kelly has me or not. I have not received a bow yet.

Kelly, if that bow is meant to be shipped to me and you decide to start over, I'm in no hurry, just let me know.   :laugh:

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1055 on: September 02, 2015, 01:31:11 pm »
Explaine please?

I'll answer that with a few questions. How much weight will it require removing to get the inners bending properly? How much weight is gained cutting 1" off each end in its current state? Keep in mind its badly whipped, so that 1" isn't going to account for poo.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #1056 on: September 02, 2015, 01:45:02 pm »
I thought the rules were that only relatively experience bowyers could participate?  This kind of makes me shy away from my wanting to participating next year
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #1057 on: September 02, 2015, 02:07:11 pm »
Explaine please?

I'll answer that with a few questions. How much weight will it require removing to get the inners bending properly? How much weight is gained cutting 1" off each end in its current state? Keep in mind its badly whipped, so that 1" isn't going to account for poo.

Well, pounds gained per inch of cut, I dont know the formula... but I do know this. When a bow is piked you gain weight. You usually retiller whichnlooses much of the weight gain. I know when you cut tips down the remaining tips are stiffer than they were because less leverage is placed on them.

Without looking at the bows length, lets say on this whip tillered bow you cut 4" off assuming he has the length. That makes his formerly whipped tips now stiffer. That makes them not or not  as much, whip tillered. Now his weight is up because he has less bend out there forcing the rest of the bow to bend more to make up for you the tip loss. Also, his bow is shorter at the same draw length. So that also equals more draw weight. Now he can go and retiller the fades and inner third to bring them around which further reduces how far the tips bend and makes it less whip tillered if it still was. Add heat if you need to increase draw weight add and you're done.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1058 on: September 02, 2015, 02:11:38 pm »
Kelly, here is where I see the tiller through my eyes.

The inner limbs are not bending even close to enough and the tips are bending slightly. Piking it won't do anything except make it shorter and apply even more pressure to the limbs where they are already bending too much.

Make your adjustment from the fades out to the bends. If after that you find it's too light then you can think about removing some length.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #1059 on: September 02, 2015, 02:13:27 pm »
Thank you Fred.

Offline Fred Arnold

« Reply #1060 on: September 02, 2015, 02:20:32 pm »
PD, your the one that taught me, Thank you.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #1061 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35:22 pm »
That wood is already damaged beyond repair. I would not spend any more time on it nor do I think giving it to some stranger is the right thing to do

Offline sleek

« Reply #1062 on: September 02, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »
Kelly, here is where I see the tiller through my eyes.

The inner limbs are not bending even close to enough and the tips are bending slightly. Piking it won't do anything except make it shorter and apply even more pressure to the limbs where they are already bending too much.

Make your adjustment from the fades out to the bends. If after that you find it's too light then you can think about removing some length.

I see the hinging areas now that you drew the lines. I concede. If it was just a whip tiller then what I said would fix it. Still I would add heat to the bending portions to stiffen them up.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1063 on: September 02, 2015, 02:58:37 pm »
Sleek, I've found that when I've added heat to an area the wood was already damaged it seem to weaken it more.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #1064 on: September 02, 2015, 03:06:35 pm »
Sleek, I've found that when I've added heat to an area the wood was already damaged it seem to weaken it more.
And this bows belly looks plenty toasted.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.